Tandem's Control IQ Explained

CathP

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for sharing, I’ve been waiting to find out more about control IQ as ive had Tandem in mind for my daughter to move to from Animas. Such a shame it’s target range is so high though, 6.2-8.8 is not ideal. I don’t think it’ll be for us.

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hopefully there will be a future update to allow control IQ to be personalised, otherwise they have shot themselves in the foot. Current default setting is far too high for most.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hopefully there will be a future update to allow control IQ to be personalised, otherwise they have shot themselves in the foot. Current default setting is far too high for most.

They may be aiming to sell it as a cheaper option compared to sending a nurce to see someone a few time a day for people who are not able to do their inslin/testing. If so the target range makes sence.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
As with the Medtronic set-up, dangers regarding hypos and possible lawsuits may be influencing the range chosen.

DunePlodder

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@CathP & @Chas C Rather than just judge by these targets, I think it's important to wait & see how it actually works out in practise.
It is still under development so they could change before it's released.
The fact that the pump's firmware is updateable means the algorithm may be improved in future.
The vast majority of people with diabetes get nowhere near these targets. I think it's possible to get a skewed view of how well people are doing from reading forums such as this. The very fact that we read the forums, means that we are are interested & working to deal with our diabetes as best we can - many do not.

Reactions: kitedoc