At a loss...

Nicola M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Just recently came out of hospital with a bad hypo but that’s a long story. My sugars have been extremely bad since leaving in the high teens consistently every day (18+) I’m on an insulin pump, I’ve done 2 set changes just to make sure it wasn’t those and I’m still high, I’ve also set a temporary basal rate of +100% and correction doses just aren’t shifting my sugars. If I’m being honest it’s making me more miserable than I was in the hospital and I’m at a loss of what to do. I have messaged my nurse awaiting a reply but wondered if anyone here had some much needed advice for this sad diabetic!! x

JaneC

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It might be worth giving yourself a few units from a pen and if that seems to work then it’s a problem with your pump/set or insulin. Is there some underlying illness maybe? So horrible to be feeling like you do you poor thing. The bad hypos although rare do knock your confidence but you will get over it.

Reactions: gemma_T1

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
The most usual cause for insulin pump problems quoted by reps and DSNs is the infusion part of the system, so kinked cannulas, or repeated use of used sites etc.
My plan worked out with my DSN (as all patients and DSN really need to do) is to change the infusion set.
After doing this and a correction dose if need be I wait 2 hours and re-test my BSL.
If it is coming down but slowly I may add in more correction,
if the BSL has gone up further and ketones are up, I change the infusion set once again, re-do the correction dose plus at least 30%- 40 % whilst I continue to sort out other possible causes like:
?could insulin have been frozen ? or exposed to >30 C, out of the fridge > 30 days (see pamphlet in the insulin box).
? get new insulin script?,
is there an error code on the pump?
can I see that the pump is actually working ?(I disconnect the tubing from the infusion site and run a 'test bolus' through),
also with high BSLs and ketones added in sometimes my insulin resistance increases and a 'usual' correction' dose
is not enough, and do I increase usual bolus and basal doses as well (yes, I see you have done that with your basal))
Any sign of infection ? teeth, skin. urine ? tummy or cold virus? ? cycles? ? stress
My DSN and I also worked out a 'last ditch before hospital' plan which was to give small doses of intramuscular short-acting insulin, which works much quicker than under the skin doses to see if that will stop the rise. That plan however requires close co-ordination with my DSN, my ability to give myself an I.M. injection and having the syringe and length of needle to do so.
I hope your troubles settle easily and quickly (and that your DSN replies soon).:):):)
IMG_4108.jpg

Jollymon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Not having good chocolate, and not cycling
Are you dealing with a Symogi Effect? Bringing one of those down might take 24 hours. Symogi Effect is the body’s own reaction to a scary lo. The liver dumps into own stored glucagon to create a high. For someone with diabetes, it’s a really bad high after a really bad low.

Maybe this is where you’re at. You did say there was a bad enough preceding low to cause it. Stay hydrated. Make sure your infusion set is working. A correction dose some other way can help. Try not to let it defeat you- you will get over it.

Reactions: gemma_T1