What was your fasting blood glucose? (with some chat)

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@jjraak
Dearest JJ

Lovely to hear from you but you do work too hard and worry unnecessarily. You will be just fine on your hols to India and you should enjoy it. The only thing about the last few days, well, its not your fault that all the strawberries at the moment are giant! I’ve noticed it too. Btw I dont worry about cramp because I often have a (slimline) g&t, theres a theory about the quinine helping. I defo buy into that theory scientific or otherwise. Maybe it could work for you too.
You are always very supportive and kind to our D family for that I thank you.
With all good wishes
Auntie Pengie

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@PenguinMum

Hahaha....LOVE IT.

Thanks for such a lovely response,
Auntie Pengie.

Made me roar AND chuckle.

Also made lots of sense and calmed me.

Deffo be trying the G&T cure.
Just worried last time I did a diet like that
(The vodka diet)..I didn't drop any pounds but I did lose 3 days...:wideyed:.

Take care, thanks for the advice again
Still chuckling.

X

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
@jjraak My son spent 2 months back packing on his own in India a few years ago he loved it as will you I'm sure so relax and enjoy your self and the fantastic food and drink available. But watch out for some of it he did have the odd bout of tummy trouble while there.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@ianpspurs thanks for the reassurance re cake and stress. Very distressing for a young man to come to serious harm. I hope your son’s friend is recovering well.
@SaskiaKC thank you son is so much better but his whole body took a hit and he now has a head cold, cough and upset stomach. Work keep ringing him so he is talking about going back for Thurs/Fri and continuing TLC treatment here over weekend.
@Debandez it made me laugh you celebrated with gravy...or thats how it read. Me, I would have had gin!
Son's friend was sent home after a car crash with just soft tissue injury. 3 days later had to have leg amputated they missed a blood clot so not recovering very well. Lost his job as a chef and the flat that went with it. Bit of a blow at 26:bigtears::bigtears:
Edit: Just to be clear son was not involved just went to spend time with the lad last weekend.

Last edited:

Angelofthemarches

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Horrible shoes
Son's friend was sent home after a car crash with just soft tissue injury. 3 days later had to have leg amputated they missed a blood clot so not recovering very well. Lost his job as a chef and the flat that went with it
I'm so sorry.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Cheers @JohnEGreen

good advise..its been Goa..been going since 2010..7 times (8?) skipped two years for mexico n thailand

Cue gratuitous posting of holiday snaps..

mexico rained 3 days..:rolleyes:
SAM_0279.JPG

thailand rained for a week..:rolleyes::rolleyes:...:hilarious:
IMG_20170328_172907_286.jpg

loved them both, regardless.

critters everywhere in mexico.,,( seen little in india ..dogs cats.cows, but no monkeys, snakes or mongoose.:sorry: )
SAM_0349.JPG

Clipboard02.jpg

and done koh samui,
Ko Pha-ngan
koh tao AND the khao san road, just Loved, loved bangkok, baby...( pure madness )

IMG_20170415_240808749.jpg

was lucky enough to be there for the water festival
IMG_20170413_143850818.jpg

but cant ever remember seeing rain in india ..?

Here's one in india of Lauren of arabia (arabian sea..;))
just before we crossed border into maharashtra.

lauren of arabia_zpse5a9vgc9.jpg

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Son's friend was sent home after a car crash with just soft tissue injury. 3 days later had to have leg amputated they missed a blood clot so not recovering very well. Lost his job as a chef and the flat that went with it. Bit of a blow at 26:bigtears::bigtears:

awful event, @ianpspurs

best wishes for him and family.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Not a great start to the day Saskia hope it was just a fuse and normal service has now resumed and the newish kettle survived. You and the KC have a calm rest of day.

Thanks. :) The KittenCat and I took a nap while waiting for the maintenance man. He had to re-set the circuit breaker switch (the panel is in a locked cupboard out in the corridor for some reason). He said all is fine now. Meanwhile I boiled water for coffee in a saucepan on the stove, and later today or tomorrow the electric kettle is going back to the store, to be replaced with a good old stovetop kettle that will whistle when it boils. It didn't really take the saucepan any longer to boil the water this morning than the electric kettle or the microwaves takes. Sometimes the old reliables are the best.

I've read that cats have no tastebuds for sweetness, but mine just enjoyed a tiny bite of a shortbread cookie. ^. .^

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What an awful tragedy how could the hospital have missed that! I hope he gets good medical care from now on. Shocking for him and those who love him.

Reactions: Cumberland

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks. :) The KittenCat and I took a nap while waiting for the maintenance man. He had to re-set the circuit breaker switch (the panel is in a locked cupboard out in the corridor for some reason). He said all is fine now. Meanwhile I boiled water for coffee in a saucepan on the stove, and later today or tomorrow the electric kettle is going back to the store, to be replaced with a good old stovetop kettle that will whistle when it boils. It didn't really take the saucepan any longer to boil the water this morning than the electric kettle or the microwaves takes. Sometimes the old reliables are the best.

I've read that cats have no tastebuds for sweetness, but mine just enjoyed a tiny bite of a shortbread cookie. ^. .^
Our first cat Ginger loved custard and ice cream...we only discovered by finding him in the sink licking the bowls clean! I dont think it was good for him but it did amuse us.
Cheers @JohnEGreen

good advise..its been Goa..been going since 2010..7 times (8?) skipped two years for mexico n thailand

Cue gratuitous posting of holiday snaps..

mexico rained 3 days..:rolleyes:
View attachment 31833

thailand rained for a week..:rolleyes::rolleyes:...:hilarious:
View attachment 31834

loved them both, regardless.

critters everywhere in mexico.,,( seen little in india ..dogs cats.cows, but no monkeys, snakes or mongoose.:sorry: )
View attachment 31836

View attachment 31837

and done koh samui,
Ko Pha-ngan
koh tao AND the khao san road, just Loved, loved bangkok, baby...( pure madness )

View attachment 31838

was lucky enough to be there for the water festival
View attachment 31840

but cant ever remember seeing rain in india ..?

Here's one in india of Lauren of arabia (arabian sea..;))
just before we crossed border into maharashtra.

View attachment 31835
Agree great pics though not sure about the sneaky snapper in No 4 but lovely ones of Lauren.

Reactions: HarryBeau

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What an awful tragedy how could the hospital have missed that! I hope he gets good medical care from now on. Shocking for him and those who love him.

Absolutely. I guess it could be difficult to apply "reasonable accommodation" to a busy kitchen, but still ... to lose one's home as well as job ...

Reactions: HarryBeau

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Reporting BG of 5.4 at 5:26 pm, much better number than morning FBGs have been running recently. As long as I can still hit 5s at some point during the day I'm happy, especially as just over an hour ago I was enjoying a glass of Moscato and half a pack of Fritos while playing Pub Trivia. Win-win. :)

rhubarb73

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
aubergine
6.2 this morning. Today I had a meeting in Westminster so I had to run the gauntlet of the protesters in parliament square- they are a resilient bunch. Both sides; how do they stay motivated for so long?
On the north side of the square I stopped to consider the statue of former prime minister George Canning. He is depicted wearing a toga.
Can you imagine if Blair or Cameron did that? And you think politics today is weird!

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@ianpspurs thanks for the reassurance re cake and stress. Very distressing for a young man to come to serious harm. I hope your son’s friend is recovering well.
@SaskiaKC thank you son is so much better but his whole body took a hit and he now has a head cold, cough and upset stomach. Work keep ringing him so he is talking about going back for Thurs/Fri and continuing TLC treatment here over weekend.
@Debandez it made me laugh you celebrated with gravy...or thats how it read. Me, I would have had gin!
Gravy celebration :) so funny!!!

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
6.2 this morning. Today I had a meeting in Westminster so I had to run the gauntlet of the protesters in parliament square- they are a resilient bunch. Both sides; how do they stay motivated for so long?
On the north side of the square I stopped to consider the statue of former prime minister George Canning. He is depicted wearing a toga.
Can you imagine if Blair or Cameron did that? And you think politics today is weird!

At least for the Parliament Square statue Canning didn't have to model his knees. I don't know about David Cameron's knees; I do remember one day in maybe 1997 hearing that Blair entered the House of Commons to cheers of "Toe Knee! Toe Knee! Toe Knee!"

Reactions: DJC3 and HarryBeau

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Morning...awake just after 4am with cramp which just wouldn't go away...so I'm up sipping my coffee trying to make the best use of the time...working today in London (again) thankfully not until early afternoon so hoping the traffic will be easier...didn't get home until 8:30pm last night so ate very late...woke to a 5.9