Diabetes and Skydiving Solo

1960darrenh

Hi. :roll:

I am a Type 1 Diabetic. I have recently done a charity tandem skydive for Diabetes UK.

I loved it so much that I want to do the course and get qualified. However obviously the Diabetes is likely to be a problem when getting the medical signed by my G.P even though I am extremely well controlled.

I have been told by experienced skydivers that there are a few others that have Type 1 Diabetes and still fly.

I'm really wondering if anyone in this forum has any more information or their own experiences with this issue.

Thanks.

Reactions: 2 people

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I think you're mad, but then so's anyone else who jumps out of an aeroplane, so why should diabetes make you different?? Good luck to you!

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You may find getting insurance difficult. Similar problem as travel insurance, I think it is the risk of CVE that is the significant factor here. It may be the increased adrenalin rush that raises concerns, since some sports are difficult to get insurance on and its nothing to do with being diabetic.

mekalu2k4

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
You may find getting insurance difficult.
exactly. One of my colleagues aged 28 years did tandem jump in FL. And told 'yes' to a question of the insurance firm, if he ever engaged in extreme sports like sky diving. Result - premium hiked. Report says he has tendencies to harm himself!

Ross.Walker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
sprouts, evil things
I'm a static line instructor, final exam in a few months and type 2

There is no reason not to live your dream. Insurance is a concern but not a stopping point as you do not need personal insurance, it's sensible if you have dependants but if you get a docs sign off and you will need that you can have fun. I am not going to go into which medication is best worst etc. That is personal to you and your doc.

Get fit, go see the world

Sent from my SM-G900F using DCUK Forum mobile app