re reversal of type 2 diabetes

Manogwent

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
carling lager
a recent report in national paper suggested that by eating 600 calories a day could result in being able to stop meds as it re-awakens the insulin producing cells . I realise that this is not really proven as it was only a small goup that was looked at but the results were quite promising and i wondered what other members thought about this ?

Hobnoblin

As much as I'd like to believe it but my instinct tells me that it's only a temporary thing. :(

Worth giving it a go mind

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Hiya, fine IF you can stay on limited calories, however what would happen if n when you increase calories??? also to stay with such low levels of calories would it give enough 'energy' to keep us going??? me thinks NOT ....! we need fuel to give us energy . Bit like a car - could it keep going on just below quarter of a tank n get us through a weeks journeys as an example. The real answer must lie with portion control, its not always what we eat its how' much' of it ..... When weight becomes an issue! Anna.x :)

Hobnoblin

anna29 said:
Hiya, fine IF you can stay on limited calories, however what would happen if n when you increase calories??? also to stay with such low levels of calories would it give enough 'energy' to keep us going??? me thinks NOT ....! we need fuel to give us energy . Bit like a car - could it keep going on just below quarter of a tank n get us through a weeks journeys as an example. The real answer must lie with portion control, its not always what we eat its how' much' of it ..... When weight becomes an issue! Anna.x :)

A lot of type 2 diabetics have plenty of 'fuel' stored around their bodies in the form of fat mind!

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Hobnoblin said:
A lot of type 2 diabetics have plenty of 'fuel' stored around their bodies in the form of fat mind!

Speak for yourself :shock:

frenchkittie

Wapro said:
If you want to know more you are all quite welcome to visit my website

Nice try, but that book you are promoting costs $47, and the author is a "motivational speaker" who has already been forced by the UK advertising standards authority to remove (from a different website) all claims that another of his books will reveal a cure for Alzheimers!

ron carthy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
The research was with a small group but it achieved a 70%+ success rate when the subjects returned to a normal eating pattern. The 600 cals diet was for 8 weeks only. No one could live for long on 600 cals a day. The 600 cals were taken in liquid form in a specially selected and controlled mix of carbohydrate, protein and fat. The liquid was supplemented by vitamin supplements and non starchy salads and vegetables. It appears that the resting pancreas was able to cleanse itself of some sort of fatty deposits and recover full insulin production levels. ( a highly specific detox ?). I cannot imagine the triallists were very active during the 8 weeks so it is not likely to prove a universal cure but it may point the way forward to something universal. Meantime of course all the health professionals and companies associated with the status quo approach to nutrition and glucose testing are urging us all to pay no heed and keep taking the tablets on the assumption that we have a lifelong irreversible condition. George Bernard Shaw observed that all professins were a conspiracy against the general public. We may be seeing that in action

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I wish they'd release more details. I'd give this a go in a heartbeat!

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Patch,
600 cals is a very low cal count. There are some 'fad' diets that are that low and I'm sure that you've met people who've tried to go on them. They start the diet on Monday, give up by Wed or Thursday because they felt so bad and have so little energy. The people on this diet were supported medically thoughout. I've no idea if they were able to work at the same time.

We also know that the OGTTs of the 7 that 'passed' the OGTT at 20 weeks were still relatively high and their HbA1cs were still in the 'prediabetic' range. We a need far longer term follow up to know if this really was a reversal for those 7 . Will things continue to get better or go downhill? What happens to their levels if they get an illness ? etc etc .
Basically it's an interesting preliminary study and no more than that.
It's also worth remembering that none of the subjects were on insulin before the trial and they had all been diagnosed with diabetes for less than 4 years.

edited for punctuation

louiseb

Patch said:
I wish they'd release more details. I'd give this a go in a heartbeat!

I have to agree with patch I also would try this in a heatbeat even though I think it probably is alot of rubbish and will never work its still worth a try.
Infact I am making an appointment with my gp to discuss trying a 600kcal diet for 8 weeks.
I would never try something like this without consulting with my gp first im going to ask about the cambridge diet which is about 600kcal per day liquid diet thats needs medical approval before you can start it.

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I've been thinking about this a lot lately, and I think a lot of diabetics fall into 1 of 2 categories:

A) Those have have made peace with their diabetes, and just get on with it; and
B) Those that are looking to reverse (cure) their diabetes.

I'm DEFINITELY in B). 8)

I'll never accept that there is nothing that can be done about Diabetes. I'll continue to live in hope!

bowell

Dislikes
Tablets, Mums with pushchair who push in ,Bus and WC
I have dropped down to 900cal with no problems No bread spuds ect Yes doc is involved
I may drop a bit more later ,However I am Sat in a chair all day use 24v to move any place.

Bob

[youtube]gy-1WzQo2pM[/youtube]

humph

The diet they used was Optifast, it has been around since 1974. It is used prior to a gastric bypass surgery.

This research came about as response to the fact that a large number of people having a gastric bypass find that their bs levels return to normal with hours of the operation.

Optifast is usually an 800 calorie diet, but in this study they used 500 calories from Optifast and remainder from green vegetables.

Average Hba1c for the people on the study 12 weeks after the end of the diet was 6, the control group average was 5.7. The average reading of 6 was with no medication. Metformin was stopped one week before the start and sulfonylureas were stopped around a month before, I think, but will check.

This is still the case 18 months after the trial ended.

I will let everyone know if it works in around 10 weeks time.

ailz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dislikes
people that make me panic. Racism - in fact most 'isms'
Years ago when I was put on a 600 calorie diet by the hospital I was told that I shouldn't drive while on it as the calorie level was so low that I could black out.

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
I wouldn't touch a 600 calorie diet for a lot of reasons, mainly nutritional - it's starvation level, after all, and you'd really have to think carefully to get all your nutrients.

If we're talking about "reversal" - on my low carb diet I haven't had a single reading outside non-diabetic levels since May 10th, and my HbA1c hasn't been above 5.7 since last September. I'm still diabetic - if I went back to my old ways of eating I'll bet I would be back up to Type 2 levels in short order!

It will be very interesting to see the follow-up studies to this.

Viv 8)

Hobnoblin

I was reading it in The Guardian. I had to smile at the bit where it says the study has overturned conventional thought by showing that diet can be used to reverse diabetes. Low carbers have known that for years! :D :D :D

C

catherinecherub

Hobnoblin said:
I was reading it in The Guardian. I had to smile at the bit where it says the study has overturned conventional thought by showing that diet can be used to reverse diabetes. Low carbers have known that for years! :D :D :D

Don't think that all low carbers find it that easy. I low GI with excellent results but no way do I think that diabetes is easily managed.

Speaking to my DSN today and she is furious that this article seems to make it so simplistic. She agreed with me that it is not something that can be done at home and that the medical supervision means more than a weekly visit to the Dr. You would need round the clock supervision, assistance walking to the toilet, assistance moving around etc... resting as much as possible and frequent monitoring. It is a starvation diet.