Food Reactions

Funky Mum

Do you notice any change if you eat something 'naughty'?

I seem to have a strong reaction and feel groggy and extremely tired if I do. I'm glad in a way because nothing is worth this feeling, so wont be tempted again! :lol:

Gratope

Dislikes
Snobs, PC brigade ( Stupid rules and regs )
Hi Funky Mum ( welcome to Mod team ) Yeh I have noticed, twice now. Once was a half tin of baked beans. Had a spike of 11.4 and felt really tired with slight headache. The other was a curry with which I had two stuffed parathas. ( basically puffed pastry filled with spinach ). Same happened again. Good job I'm testing really. Found the spike both times. Only have half of one paratha now. Not had beans since. Might try two spoonfuls next time. Felt awful for a while though. Learning is tough.

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
What do you call naughty FM ?

Do you test your blood sugar levels when you feel like this ? It sounds like a rise in blood sugar levels.

It depends in the number of carbs and whether they are quick acting or not. Obviously something sugary will have a quick effect on your BS levels.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Raw onions have me running to the loo all night, but that doesn't stop me on a Saturday night when I indulge in a cheese & onion sandwich! :D

Nigel

Funky Mum

Well yesterday I had 2 cookies and an ice lolly late at night plus some vodka and pretty much ate rubbish (bad day!) My waking blood was 9.2.
I had 2 slices of wholemeal toast and beans for brekkie. Within 30 mins I felt tired and my 1 hr blood was 13.0 my 2 hour was 8.6. I ended up having a sleep and have felt really groggy most of the day.
I've only just started doing my bloods so its still finding out what works (or doesn't!)
I'm glad I do have reactions because there's no way I will be tempted to have certain thins if they make me feel like this!
I just find it amazing how rubbish I feel!

Hi Gratope!

ClaireG 06

Yep, high bloods can make you feel pretty yuk. It's all about testing and seeing what works for you. I know 2 bits of toast and beans would make my bg levels go up way to much.

spendercat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cruelty. I am kind.
You also might have a straightforward food intolerance problem. A lot of diabetics apparently also have other metabolic problems (no surprise there) like, for example, wheat intolerance or lactose intolerance.
Try not having bread at all, (porridge for breakfast?) see if you feel more energetic.

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Hi, I had a homemade leek n onion quiche with healthy green salad n found my BS levels shot up to 26.3 :shock: yes guys 26.3 I was ill that day and the next also... paid the price well n truly. Anna.x

Funky Mum

spendercat said:
You also might have a straightforward food intolerance problem. A lot of diabetics apparently also have other metabolic problems (no surprise there) like, for example, wheat intolerance or lactose intolerance.
Try not having bread at all, (porridge for breakfast?) see if you feel more energetic.

Thanks for that I'll give it a go :D