A Conversation with the Nurse

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Taking it to the extreme conclusion I find any holier than thou stance that says get into the kitchen a cook from scratch from raw ingredients a little objectionable

Objectionable... why? That is the essence of a Paleo diet and many here would recommend as the best way of eating. You were asking about Paleo and I told you what it is. If you find that objectionable...

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yep @Listlad, Diet is more complex than we imagine. Perhaps Dr Unwin's surgery has some posters etc.
He is said to be keen on informatics.
You sound like you are the Jack and Jill of all trades - meant without wishing to give offence !!
Yeah. I wish I was back working full time and Mrs Listlad was back in the house. But upon reflection I probably have better control of my diet under current circumstances.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Objectionable... why? That is the essence of a Paleo diet and many here would recommend as the best way of eating. You were asking about Paleo and I told you what it is. If you find that objectionable...
Of course it is the best way of eating. That is not in dispute. But going about it is not as easy as some people seem to want to put across in a holier than thou manner. I do seem to be managing it but I can see how many would find it hard to grasp or implement for all sorts of reasons. And I think my GP recognised that when we were talking the other day.

Reactions: Robinredbreast

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yep @Listlad, Diet is more complex than we imagine. Perhaps Dr Unwin's surgery has some posters etc.
He is said to be keen on informatics.
You sound like you are the Jack and Jill of all trades - meant without wishing to give offence !!
I might wander over that way one day and call in. See what’s on the wall. It could be a bit of a tourist haunt? :D

I can also foresee the plaque on the surgery outer wall.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
The thing is though that there are about 90 T2Ds for every 10 T1Ds. How do you divvy up the costs? All to one 'side' or some % to each with them self-funding the rest, with compensatory reductions for those on low-income maybe?

They should prioritise. For example, children and young people first but with very poorly managed adults in there too. Then the remaining people which could include very poorly managed T2s. This, I should make clear, is with regard to CGM and in an ideal world the tech and ongoing upkeep would be free. In this Utopia every treatment, for whatever condition, would be free so no more postcode lottery and no more health poverty.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
They should prioritise. For example, children and young people first but with very poorly managed adults in there too. Then the remaining people which could include very poorly managed T2s. This, I should make clear, is with regard to CGM and in an ideal world the tech and ongoing upkeep would be free. In this Utopia every treatment, for whatever condition, would be free so no more postcode lottery and no more health poverty.

The problem with (some) 'poorly managed' adults is that they are less likely to use a CGM properly or act on the information it gives them? This is only a theory of course because I know that out of control numbers are not necessarily down to a poor effort to manage, but if these things are given out on that basis only, a lot of those monitors might as well be stuck in a cupboard. Who knows what the answer is, having recently read the NHS's criteria, only 1 in 5 will get them and that is only if they fall into one of the categories which seem quite strict.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The problem with (some) 'poorly managed' adults is that they are less likely to use a CGM properly or act on the information it gives them? This is only a theory of course because I know that out of control numbers are not necessarily down to a poor effort to manage, but if these things are given out on that basis only, a lot of those monitors might as well be stuck in a cupboard. Who knows what the answer is, having recently read the NHS's criteria, only 1 in 5 will get them and that is only if they fall into one of the categories which seem quite strict.
And......thats why I believe there has to be some state intervention to regulate what’s being sold to the public in the U.K. as a means of clamping down on diabetes amongst the population.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes

What is the criteria for children and young people? I'm thinking youngsters because of the threads I've read about 'rebellious teens' etc and those adults suffering from eating disorders but as you say if people are sometimes lackadaisical about management then the tech is wasted. Still, the choice should not be about cost but about necessity in the first instance.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
What is the criteria for children and young people? I'm thinking youngsters because of the threads I've read about 'rebellious teens' etc and those adults suffering from eating disorders but as you say if people are sometimes lackadaisical about management then the tech is wasted. Still, the choice should not be about cost but about necessity in the first instance.

https://www.england.nhs.uk/wp-conte...-monitoring-national-arrangements-funding.pdf

Hi Guzzler, this simply refers to 'people with type 1' so I don't know whether there will be separate criteria for young people.

Reactions: Guzzler

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No posters at all. I looked specifically and found nothing yet. Yes I agree. My feeling is that it is in the pipeline and as you know I have good reason to say that. At my surgery at least I sense that it is in the midst of change and Rome was never built in a day.

Thinking about it, for anyone trying to launch a revolutionary NHS dietary strategy for diabetes they would hopefully want to get it right and personally speaking it isn’t a straight forward solution. It works but is quite complex for many people to get their heads around and implement as it isn’t a hear thake one of these three times a day type of solution.
This site and its Low Carb Programme is available on prescription, or for individuals to buy for themselves.

The site founder has recently been inducted, with the Low Carb Programme into the NHS Innovations Programme, so anyone looking to launch anything is a bit behind the curve really.

I'm sure Dr Google would help you out with the NHS Innovations info if you choose to look, or I think the NewsBot on here published a piece recently on it.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@kitedoc - the Public Health Collaboration website has plenty resources and info graphics on there. Many are free, and some are available in .pdf format to print at home.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
This site and its Low Carb Programme is available on prescription, or for individuals to buy for themselves.

The site founder has recently been inducted, with the Low Carb Programme into the NHS Innovations Programme, so anyone looking to launch anything is a bit behind the curve really.

I'm sure Dr Google would help you out with the NHS Innovations info if you choose to look, or I think the NewsBot on here published a piece recently on it.
Yes but I know who is behind the launching of the launching. :D

But mums the word.

What I was alluding to earlier was if there was any outward sign of change that the public might easily notice. Rather than what is being ground out within the system.

Reactions: kitedoc

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes but I know who is behind the launching of the launching. :D

But mums the word.

What I was alluding to earlier was if there was any outward sign of change that the public might easily notice. Rather than what is being ground out within the system.
Your big secret may not be much of a secret

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Your big secret may not be much of a secret
Possibly not but it isn’t generally known and not something I had encountered here or anywhere until I had a chat with my local GP who is as well connected as any with what’s going on ;)

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
No posters at all. I looked specifically and found nothing yet. Yes I agree. My feeling is that it is in the pipeline and as you know I have good reason to say that. At my surgery at least I sense that it is in the midst of change and Rome was never built in a day.

Thinking about it, for anyone trying to launch a revolutionary NHS dietary strategy for diabetes they would hopefully want to get it right and personally speaking it isn’t a straight forward solution. It works but is quite complex for many people to get their heads around and implement as it isn’t a hear thake one of these three times a day type of solution.

It's not rocket surgery!

gemma_T1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I get meters just by contacting the supplier, a quick email or phone call and they usually send one out.

I have only ever bought one meter in over thirty years and that was because I was in holiday and mine broke. I’ve always had them free. I know I am type one, but I always assumed that the hospitals didn’t pay for them at all, rather that they were given as promos from the reps, like the pens and other stuff the hospital give you to try.
I have also got them sent to me for free too. I got one sent free for my great aunt who was type two and not allowed the meter or test strips from the NHS.
I think the meter makers are happy to give you a free meter as you will buy their strips, plus they have your data as you fill out a form.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
I might wander over that way one day and call in. See what’s on the wall. It could be a bit of a tourist haunt? :D

I can also foresee the plaque on the surgery outer wall.
Ha! With advertising these days there might be all sorts of signs. Low carb this way -->, We are low carb - the way to a better life,
If you never never low carb, you might never never beat the barb of diabetes etc etc !!!

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hopefully not !!

Kietdoc, there's a LOT happening in Uk at present as far as progressing management of T2, primarily utilising diet. This site is leading the way in a lot that's going on, one way or another. That isn't rubbishing or downplaying any other initiatives or programmes in the offing, it's just as it is. Indeed, today the Low Carb Programme received another boost:

http://www.pulsetoday.co.uk/clinica...ients-gets-nhs-funding-boost/20038369.article

Hopefully, the T1 LC Programme will be along soon for those T1s who feel a lower carb lifestyle would be beneficial to them.