Newly Diagnosed Type 2

justem

Hi All, I'm Em.

I was diagnosed yesterday with Type 2 Diabetes, and well I'm totally confused.

Apart from the knowledge of knowing my fasting score was 8 (8 what I do not know) and I have a booklet to read, and 1x500g Metformin to take (first week rising to two) I have no idea what I'm really meant to be doing.

From the booklet I have I'm pretty much told low / no sugar and low / fat free. My booklet suggests things like pasta and rice are fine to eat, and even mentions jacket potatoes etc, but i'm also getting conflicting advice, and I really want to do a good shop soon so there's no excuse for me eating anything thats not ok for me out of the cupboard.

I exercise regularly, either walking or exercise bike, and whilst I'm overweight and that has a factor, I have the additional issue of PCOS to deal with.

I have a huge wad of questions to ask, but as I don't really understand a single thing right now, i'm not really sure where to start apart from changing my diet out and taking my meds.

ANY help would be appriciated.

Serena51

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
bigots, racists, homophobes
welcome Em, stay calm and just have a good read around the forum and ask questions.

no question is too trivial, the answer may be the one that someone else needs too.

diagnosis is a shock so be good to yourself and don't panic, it will all become clearer.

Synonym

Dislikes
Having no energy as this is so limiting.
Hello and welcome Em. :)

Sorry to hear about your diagnosis but many of us would have been really glad to have found our way here so soon after that news! The link given above is the very best start you can get so do follow it as it will help you so much. 8)

Ask anything you need to know - if you don't know the answer it is never a pointless question! :)

hallii

Welcome Em, 8 FBG (fasting blood glucose, sometimes called blood sugars (BGs) ) would be 8 mmol / L
A measurement of how much sugar (glucose) is in your blood at that snap shot in time.

8 mmol /L is not so bad, you will quickly get that down by diet and a bit of exercise.

Don't rush at anything, just start doing the right things and stick to it, you will soon get the idea.

H

nippysweets

hi I've been on 2x500mg Metformin since first diagnosed type 2 3 weeks ago. They do have some side-effects for the first 2 weeks apparently but I'm still producing enough gas to power my own wind-turbine! Maybe I can sell it to the government?
Welcome aboard.

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
nippysweets said:
hi I've been on 2x500mg Metformin since first diagnosed type 2 3 weeks ago. They do have some side-effects for the first 2 weeks apparently but I'm still producing enough gas to power my own wind-turbine! Maybe I can sell it to the government?
Welcome aboard.
Hi, nippysweets, oh dear, unfortuately some side effects can give these problems :lol: personally hope you dont try bottleing it n flogging to government :shock: great to know you have a good sense of humour whilst with gas side effects. Keep in touch and let us know how you go on. So funny n great to hear it put like that! Anna.x :D

Synonym

Dislikes
Having no energy as this is so limiting.
nippysweets said:
Welcome aboard.

Hi nippysweets and welcome! :D Hope the meteorology department clears soon! :shock:

justem

Hey all and thanks for all the replies.

well i'm through my first week of metformin (only the one tablet though) and I've gotten off pretty likely with the side effects (well for the most part, couple of blippy days), i may not have the wind, but siphon off the excess acid gurgling around in the form of heartburn / digestion and you could make a little money as well i suspect :)

have been rationalising it all a little this week and am just about ready to go into my next appointment next week with a shed load of questions for the practice nurse. I want to actively monitor this, so am going to look into a monitor as soon as i've been through the appointment (i want to see if they will consider prescribing it first) as I feel like it will be the best way for me to understand how what effects me.

Thanks for all the advice and welcome you guys have given me, I felt 1000% more supported from yourselves than I have from some quarters, so thanks :)

honestly, at this point i feel kinda grateful that its been diagnosed now before it effected me further.

Anyway, here's to week 2 and the upping of the pills... cheers //necks back a sugar free diet lemonade//

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Hiya justem, glad to help n support you along, its what we're here for. You are going about things in a great proactive way and have obviously thought things through. Take your list along n ask all the questions you need to when you go to your next appt, you coould try saying you want to be proactive with your own diabetes self management with the monitor and have a sense of knowing just what your BS readings are! Then you can deal with things proactively. Without one of these you you would be flying blind never knowing just what your BS levels are. Let us know how you go on. Anna.x :)

justem

Hey all, just a little update:
Had my second appointment today, which didnt go as well as I had hoped. My HCP will only prescribe a meter (let alone strips) to type 1's and actually said I have no real need to test - which infuriated me somewhat as she did a quick test there (which would have been a +2hrs post eating) and it was up at 9.8!! I was gutted, not only had I only eaten a slice a ham to take my tablet this morning but i'm constantly hungry and fighting either light-headedness or feeling weak. So I wasn't too happy with myself or the lack of support this morning. On the upside, I got some really great cream for my feet and i've getting fast-tracked through for care for them as i've got splits and dry skin, which incidentially i've had since I was a kid!! Also i've lost around 6lbs so that a great first step, its the first weight i've lost for years!

So, next step is to get a-hold of a meter and find the cheapest strips (proper ones that is) that I can so I can get a read on whats going on and figure how what I can eat without it all going belly up :)

Thanks for all your comments and links, i'm reading myself through them slowly, i'm still finding it a bit overwhelming really, but it is appriciated :D

kjt57

justem said:
So, next step is to get a-hold of a meter and find the cheapest strips (proper ones that is) that I can so I can get a read on whats going on and figure how what I can eat without it all going belly up :)

Thanks for all your comments and links, i'm reading myself through them slowly, i'm still finding it a bit overwhelming really, but it is appriciated :D

You can get a free meter from spirit-healthcare (google) and they charge £12.75 for 50 strips.

If you go to broschdirect and give them a ring, ask for a VAT excempt form (they will email you one), send it back to them (post or Fax) you can then buy strips VAT free at £15.95 for 100. As you have diabetes you do not have to pay VAT on strips etc. :D

Unbeliever

Don't forget that stress can affect your bg levels too Justem, Many of us find appointments wig HCP's stressful. You should see what it does to my BP. If they knew what I was thinking it might have a similar effect upon them!

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
kjt57 said:
justem said:
You can get a free meter from spirit-healthcare (google) and they charge £12.75 for 50 strips.

If you go to broschdirect and give them a ring, ask for a VAT excempt form (they will email you one), send it back to them (post or Fax) you can then buy strips VAT free at £15.95 for 100. As you have diabetes you do not have to pay VAT on strips etc. :D

Broschdirect will do you a caresens n for £9.95 for the complete pack (inc 100 strips) as opposed to £15.95 for 100 strips :shock:
http://www.broschdirect.com/testing-ana ... _2515.html

kjt57

FergusCrawford said:
Broschdirect will do you a caresens n for £9.95 for the complete pack (inc 100 strips) as opposed to £15.95 for 100 strips :shock:
http://www.broschdirect.com/testing-ana ... _2515.html

I think you will find that it only comes with 10 strips as on picture. I think the advert is slightly misleading, I think they only mean that the strips and lancets are in packs of 100 they are seperate item numbers. I think it would be wise to phone and check before ordering.......