Secondary hyperparathyroidism and LADA

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Indeed I will. The day the surgery told me to go to the hospital, was really a good day, because all my symptoms made sense and although they cannot be cured, they can be treated and even now that I am not super fit, I am a huge lot better than the 2 years previous to my diagnosis. I am not eating gluten, I can cook and not eating gluten is no big deal for me, I don't eat processed food. I make my own. In the hospital I ate whatever they gave me and didn't have a problem, what I need is medication for my thyroid problems, when I read about the symptoms of the hypothyroidism and the Secondary HPT, I have all of them!. I'll definitely stick around, I am learning a lot.

There are a large number of informative papers around, relating to hypothyroidism, but I haven't encountered much on the parathyroidism, although to be fair, it's not really been on my radar.

Vis-a-vis your thyroid/papat related issues, there is an Endo in Edinburgh who is universally really rated. I reached a stage in November when I was reconciled to finding someone somewhere for further support , and was even in Edinburgh for a Conference too, but I left it a bit late to achieve a consultation with him in his private clinic.

Thankfully, shortly thereafter, having written to my GP, outlining the case that the pharma support I was receiving at that stage was not stemming my failure rate, we had a breakthrough from someone I had already seen.

In your shoes, I would be keeping this guy "in my back pocket" for a second opion, if I wasn't progressing too well.

Every patient is entitled to a second opinion under the NHS (I imagine it'll be similar in NHS Scotland), and we are also able to name the person from whom we want that second opinion, and they do not have to be in our local area. My GP told me this when I was sharing my frustration with her.

If you would like this person's name, please PM me. We do not support thre publishing of individual medics names on the boards here - whether positively or not, so I'd rather avoid having to chastise myself for breaching our protocols!

LRD

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I was diagnosed with hyperparathyroidcalcimia some time back. They never discussed food issues, but watch the calcium and Vitamin D to see what is up. Should probably ask, but now they have found the thyroid is growing in an odd shape so they say possible cancer. Here it is not rare to have hyperparathyroid conditions. There is another lady here in the US at UAB, University of Alabama Birmingham, that was also diagnosed with the disease. I would like to learn more, so please keep me informed as because of a stent put in my heart in February, I cannot have a biopsy done until I am off of the blood thinner and that is 6 months from now. I am LADA and insulin dependent.