Not sleeping

Sinead Byrne

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hiya I’ve been diabetic for since I was 2 (13 years now) and recently I’ve been struggling sometimes to sleep becisse I don’t wake up when I’m low (which worrries me) any advice?

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hiya I’ve been diabetic for since I was 2 (13 years now) and recently I’ve been struggling sometimes to sleep becisse I don’t wake up when I’m low (which worrries me) any advice?

Sinead, have you had a chat with your diabetes team about this at all?

If you are losing your hypo awareness, there are quite probably things you could do, with their support, to improve things a bit.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @Sinead Byrne You need to chat to your team about your hypo fears as it's now affecting your quality of life - with sleep. Can you get an appointment with them ? They can prescribe the libre sensor and although it's a flash monitoring system it means you can track your blood glucose levels to see patterns and hypo events, also other family members can check you while you sleep too and it will hopefully restore some of your confidence. It's natural that at times many of us have a fear of hypos whilst sleeping and until I started using the libre I was also worried I was going low whilst sleeping, getting a libre meant I could see that I was in fact ok when sleeping. If you also want to have an alarm to alert you if you go low during sleep you can purchase the Miao Miao which works with the sensor and a smart phone or alternatively you can purchase the Dexcom G6 which links direct to a phone and alerts you when high/low too.

Angusc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I’d try to get a medtronic 640g insulin pump with elite sensors as the suspend insulin before low feature has stopped all my hypos for the last 7+ years

Reactions: SteveOsborne

Jordi77

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Try eating a bigger snack before you go to sleep as I have to as now and then I get a hypo during the night but I find that I get no sleep and have to check my sugars and I get the shakes and not to mention the feeling my eye sight has no idea what to look at as it goes funny