Confused by hba1c

Cdk88

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Having been type 2 for 5 years i have never been able to get my hba1c under 90, i have tried all the meds metformin, glp1's, insulin the lot, i just cannot tolerate the side effects of any of them. So i made the decision to do my best to lose weight in the hope that i can bring my bs down. To my surprise my latest hba1c was 64, i know not the best but when you have been running at the late 90s i am over the moon its dropped soo much and in the right direction, only issue i have is that the drs have called that blood test unsatisfactory! Im heart broken, how does that not warrant a 'Well done, you going in the right direction, keep it up!'

gemma_T1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Having been type 2 for 5 years i have never been able to get my hba1c under 90, i have tried all the meds metformin, glp1's, insulin the lot, i just cannot tolerate the side effects of any of them. So i made the decision to do my best to lose weight in the hope that i can bring my bs down. To my surprise my latest hba1c was 64, i know not the best but when you have been running at the late 90s i am over the moon its dropped soo much and in the right direction, only issue i have is that the drs have called that blood test unsatisfactory! Im heart broken, how does that not warrant a 'Well done, you going in the right direction, keep it up!'

Hi!
Well if the doctor won’t say it, take it from me (a type one for over 30 years) you are definitely going in the right direction, keep it up!!!
I am sending you my heartfelt congratulations! Well done!!!!
There are lots of people on the forum with type two who control it through diet and have been able to reduce or give up their meds altogether and have excellent hba1c numbers, they are all very kind and you can get lots of support and info from them.
As for your doctor, just be patient until your next check up and hba1c result, with all your hard work it will be lower still and your satisfaction levels will be through the roof. But not only that you will be feeling so much better in yourself and your body will be thanking you too! You can then sit in his surgery looking like the cat that got the cream when this time he tells you that you are definitely going in the right direction!!!
I am absolutely over the moon for you!!!! You’re a star!

Cdk88

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi!
Well if the doctor won’t say it, take it from me (a type one for over 30 years) you are definitely going in the right direction, keep it up!!!
I am sending you my heartfelt congratulations! Well done!!!!
There are lots of people on the forum with type two who control it through diet and have been able to reduce or give up their meds altogether and have excellent hba1c numbers, they are all very kind and you can get lots of support and info from them.
As for your doctor, just be patient until your next check up and hba1c result, with all your hard work it will be lower still and your satisfaction levels will be through the roof. But not only that you will be feeling so much better in yourself and your body will be thanking you too! You can then sit in his surgery looking like the cat that got the cream when this time he tells you that you are definitely going in the right direction!!!
I am absolutely over the moon for you!!!! You’re a star!
Thank you so much, they should be support peoples achievements not knocking them down, maybe they need to take a leaf out of your book x

Reactions: Prem51

Metabolism_Boss

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Reality TV shows. Celebrities that are famous for being famous
This is a great result, especially as you have struggled with it for years. We are all here to support your fight to keep things going in the right direction and now you have started to progress you can look forward to even better results. Losing weight has already made a big difference and when you are ready,there is lots of advice here for adjusting your diet. Well done you!

M

Member496333

Hi, and well done for reducing your HbA1c. A bit of context is probably helpful here though (for you). Are there other aspects to the blood test that may be out of range? Maybe, controversially, ‘elevated’ cholesterol? Or perhaps they mean ‘improving but still unsatisfactory”?

Clearly I’m just playing devil’s advocate and have no idea. Have you had a follow up discussion?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Cdk88

It is probably just that the person on the phone who read out your result to you didn't bother to look back at your notes and see how much higher your previous tests have been.

As I understand it, the lab results have a standard 'good' range, which is going to be lower than your 64. So any result above that will be marked UNSATISFACTORY so that the surgery don't miss it. If your results are out of the standard/good range then they are supposed to arrange a followup to look at measures to bring it into range.

In reality, your result is fab! To make such an improvement after years of being up in the 90 zone is magnificent. Well Done.
And when/if you have that followup appointment, make sure that the doc or nurse is aware of what you have achieved, and how you have achieved it.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
A 30% positive swing is massive. Nobody on this site would say this is not significant. Maybe you could ask for some clarification.

I have to congratulate you, you have proved to yourself what works - repeat, sleep, have fun repeat.

Reactions: Prem51 and gemma_T1

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Well done that Lass! Onwards and Downwards :)

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Please ignore the dr’s ‘unsatisfactory’ comment, you have made a huge improvement after years of struggling. You are to be congratulated. Keep up the good work!

Reactions: Dodo and Prem51

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Ha - my GP hasn't even spoken to me since diagnosis and I did 91 to 47 in 80 days - so you could perhaps consider yourself fortunate that you were even noticed.
Please don't feel in any way despondent - you done good - and maybe one day your GP will realize that.

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I was diagnosed last year and decided to go low carb instead of taking metformin. I joined the lowcarbprogram (you can get this 'prescribed' by your GP on the NHS but most of them don't appear to know this).
I started on 100g of carbs a day - my blood sugars were down really fast, and by the 3 month blood test at my GP's I was officially in remission.
At first my GP was noncommittal, my diabetic nurse sceptical and the dietitian was unhelpful - telling me to use the Eatwell plate method even though people doing that usually end up on more and more meds. My diabetic nurse was amazed by my 3 month blood tests (especially that my blood fats measure was down too) and is now supportive. I hope your results show your 'support team' that you are doing the right thing! Meanwhile you know you are doing the right thing.

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
After 5 years you have never got it under 90 and now you have taken the bull by the horns and got it to 64! Keep doing what it is your going. That little monkey is only going in one direction and that's down. YOU'VE CRACKED IT! WELL DONE.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Well, you've got your congratulations in this thread - from your fellow diabetics who are the ones who do actually appreciate what you've managed to achieve.

Just keep at it, and ignore the "unsatisfactory" part; which I believe is (from what I recall from my results printouts) simply a standard classification based on the lab test figures , and not a personal criticism of your efforts.

Robbity

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Well done on your HbA1c reduction, and the weight reduction, @Cdk88. You say you didn't use meds because you couldn't tolerate them, but reduced your HbA1c by reducing weight.
Did your weight reduction result from a lower carb diet? That is what a lot of the T2s on here has found has helped to reduce HbA1c results, and often weight too.

smw99

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done! I imagine it is a routine description of that number but your change is hugely significant.

Keith_Simpson

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Whilst they discourage testing yourself, that is the only way to know what works & what does not. It costs & so they will be reluctant to prescribe but that is the only way to take some degree of control & consequently get your Hba1c [average] down. By testing I managed to reduce from 119 to 49 by diet alone but despite that looking fine, I knew from testing that I was still having damaging highs & in the end I took proper control by taking insulin; of course then they have to give you testing equipment, though usually the cheapest & so not necessarily the most accurate.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
@Cdk88 well done on reducing your hba1c. Hooefully the nurse will say something at your next review.