What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

BibaBee

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you for everyone's well wishes for Mr B. He is much improved today vision wise. He's still feeling quite anxious and stressed, but hopefully that will start to pass soon.

I've been off work today and we've eaten really well. I felt like we needed to be good to ourselves.

Breakfast: Almond Chia pudding with raspberries and blueberries. Coffee and cream.
Mid morning: Almond Milk Cappuccino with a splash of cream
Lunch: Leftover smoked mozzarella frittata, emmental cheese slice, tuna and avocado salad (with mayo, celery, small amount of red onion, capers and cherry tomatoes) served in radicchio cups.
Afternoon: Coffee at local café. I had a cappuccino, Mr B had americano.
Dinner: Local butcher's burger, streaky bacon rasher, cheese, avocado, tomato, mayo on diet doctor bun. Served with celeriac chips. Two strawberries dipped in chocolate with cream for pud. Decaf coffee.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Lunch: chicken soup and LC cheesy bread followed by Greek yoghurt and raspberries.
Mid afternoon: raspberry chia pudding and black coffee.
Dinner: mango, lime and coconut chicken with cauliflower and broccoli salad, pork scratchings and coleslaw followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Having caught up on the posts better catch up on yesterday's & today's grub. Welcome back @shelley262 - hope you get a more peaceful time now. @PenquinMum - hope you also get a calmer time and @BibaBee may Mr B heal soon. I am glad to say yesterday's visit to the dentist went exceptionally well. I know the pediatric doctors/dentists do additional training but I have to say the way they have kept the grandson calm is incredible. He didn't even know he'd had an injection yesterday. One more tooth to go and we're done. He didn't like the way his face felt but he didn't fuss or flap.
Bed 7.4 FBG 6.8 yesterday.
B. Tassimo Americano grande with a dash of cream. Couple of bits of Dr Almond one with pate pate one with egg mayo.
2. 2 rollitos, 2 falafels, 2 koftas.
D. Having been robbed of my pork ribs ended up with bits and pieces. 1 avocado, remains of my mixed chopped veggies with mayo, remains of my prawn cocktail, 2 falafels and 2 koftas.
25g Montezuma black forest.
Today - bed 7.7 FBG 7.6 still sitting higher in the mornings.
B. Tassimo Americano grande with a dash of cream. 2 rollitos.
L. 4 falafels. Pack of coconut chips.
D. Chicken with a creamy mushroom sauce and spinach. Mix of berries and cream.
Hubby at the football tomorrow and I'm heading to Costco with son.

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello all,

Woke up with a gigantic headache around 5 a.m. -- probably due to little food, too much red wine and not drinking enough water. Drank some water and had an ibuprofen and went back to bed.

@zauberflote and @DJC3 -- Yes, it was a very large serving of protein, probably about 300g to 400g of shrimps and chicken. Next time, I will probably only use about half of this.

@maglil55 -- Your low-carb tempura sounds intriguing. I probably missed this, but could you share the recipe?

Another question for all of you. I saw some carob gum/locust bean gum in the grocery store and bought it. It has only very few carbs and can be used as a thickening agent. Have any of you used this before? What was your experience?

Today's food ...

Upon waking up, some chicken liver pate (about 30g).

Breakfast: Two double decaffeinated espressos with cream and erythritol.

Lunch: A salad of lamb's lettuce, Ranch dressing, grated Gouda and three baby tomatoes.

Dinner: A small serving of konjak noodles with eggplant, Thai basil and chicken in coconut milk and green curry. No wine today.

Emma_369

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I saw T Rex live at Lewisham Odeon in (I think) 1970 or 71. I had stuck silver self adhesive stars in my hair to match the silver stars on my huge flares and platforms. (I can very clear remember the absolute agony of getting those stars out of my hair.) Marc Bolan was amazing - i can't really say i heard T Rex actually play because the screaming was so loud.
Wow!!! Sadly for me he died long before I was born :( but I grew up on a wide range of music genres - northern soul and Motown in particular but from the first time I heard Children of the Revolution my love for rock began, be it glam rock, punk rock or good old 80’s permed hair rock

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello all,

Woke up with a gigantic headache around 5 a.m. -- probably due to little food, too much red wine and not drinking enough water. Drank some water and had an ibuprofen and went back to bed.

@zauberflote and @DJC3 -- Yes, it was a very large serving of protein, probably about 300g to 400g of shrimps and chicken. Next time, I will probably only use about half of this.

@maglil55 -- Your low-carb tempura sounds intriguing. I probably missed this, but could you share the recipe?

Another question for all of you. I saw some carob gum/locust bean gum in the grocery store and bought it. It has only very few carbs and can be used as a thickening agent. Have any of you used this before? What was your experience?

Today's food ...

Lunch: A salad of lamb's lettuce, Ranch dressing, grated Gouda and three baby tomatoes.

Dinner: A small serving of konjak noodles with eggplant, Thai basil and chicken in coconut milk and green curry. No wine today.
No problem. I haven't used carob or locust bean by the way.
Low Carb Tempura

6 tablespoon whey protein isolate
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon Himalayan salt
1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum (or guar gum)
2 medium eggs
2 tablespoon sparkling water

Like a normal tempura keep your ingredients cold before you mix. Basically, all you do is put this lot in a bowl and mix until smooth. That's another difference to normal tempura - you dont want lumps.
Carb count depends on what you dip in the batter but the batter itself is very low 1 or 2g.
If you are leaving the batter for a while it will need whisked again.

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks, @maglil55. This really doesn't sound too difficult and I almost have everything at home already with the exception of the whey protein isolate.

Probably zucchini (courgette), mushrooms, snow peas, shrimp, sardines, mussels may work well -- what do you think?

Reactions: DJC3 and maglil55

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks, @maglil55. This really doesn't sound too difficult and I almost have everything at home already with the exception of the whey protein isolate.

Probably zucchini (courgette), mushrooms, snow peas, shrimp, sardines, mussels may work well -- what do you think?
I'm a big fan of the veggie tempura and I've used cauliflower, courgette, mushroom, carrot batons, aubergine, broccoli - most things really. Mussels should work and prawns, scallops but favourite is squid. I buy them whole, get hubby to clean and get the membrane off then I cut into rectangles and cut the criss cross on the back so it curls when fried. It is really easy. If you want most flavour to it you can add about 1/2 teaspoon of powdered stock such as chicken or powdered dashi if you have it.
Also meant to add there are good Asian dipping sauces on betterthanbreadketo.com
https://betterthanbreadketo.com/keto-friendly-asian-sweet-chili-sauce/

Last edited:

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
breakfast mixed museli, and two cups of tea
lunch: mushroom and leek soup, small piece 30g bread, and 30g cheese, tea
unexpectedly taken out to eat,
Dinner: tapas, hallumi sticks ( in thin batter) one prawn,(more batter than prawn, left half) goats cheese and spinach rissole and a tiny taste of my sons black pudding scotch egg. ( was ok, maybe i could eat it?)
main course: game casserole, with green vegetables, large glass 250ml wine
no dessert.
no idea of carbs, took my meter then forgot to use it:banghead:
no idea of calories either, will have to be a wild guess.

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
@ianpspurs avocado fries What Could Go Wrong?? Man they sound good. Also, as I seem not to recall, wasn’t it the 60’s not 70’s?
@BibaBee glad Mr B is improving. The leftover stress will settle soon I hope.
@maglil55 I love a good dentist too. My hygienist and her sidekick gave my younger a few well-deserved kicks in the khakis from time to time, and neither kid was given reason for fear.
After a restless night (caught a cold and it’s been so long I forgot what it feels like!!), bfast inadvertent cheese omelet (forgot to stir....), can’t remember if there was a veg, decaf/cream for melting 2 90% chocolate squares
Felt I couldn’t fast lunch. Went on a big grocery shop, bought a chicken and some almond butter... among other things
Lunch almond butter on celery, too much, a bite each of two cheeses
Got the chicken broth going in slow cooker. Result, hours later, is squishy little chicken bones and falling apart bird. Maybe bulletproof broth will help tomorrow.
Made a crustless quiche, finally made a batch of my brown bread!, practised my flute, served up supper. I had the quiche, spinach, piece of bread w butter and cheese
Then while I was getting the chicken and broth ready for the frig, I “nibbled”.. on the chicken. BGs already high this morning. Today was a lost cause. No exercise bc it’s throwing lightening and thunder out there.
See you in the morning, friends!

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello all,

Today's food ...

Ziggy, having consulted Wiki, it looks like some may have unwittingly had it at some time. I can't say it rings any bells in my world!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Locust_bean_gum

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I used to deep fry courgette in tempura and may do so again now I've found a low carb tempura. It was another Italian favourite - courgette and aubergine fries. Do you coat them in anything for the actifry? (Yes I have an actifry).
I have tried a variety of things;
Coat in oil, few herbs
Egg and almond flour
Egg and bashed up pork scratchings- that is nice.
Low carb tempura - excellent.

Last edited:
Reactions: maglil55

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Missed again yesterday -got swamped with grandchildren arriving late and wanting to tell me all their news.

Lunch: an omelette, again; mushrooms, spinach, cheese and herbs.

Dinner: left over sweet and sour soup from the day before followed by a bit of yoghurt, double cream and berries.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Another wet, windy day stuck indoors with three windy dogs. Not nice.....

So, today:

Breakfast: kippers and scrambled eggs (not as nice as the M&S kippers)

Lunch: Some cheese

Dinner: (Due to Mr C's shift pattern this is our 'Sunday') Roast beef, cauliflower, broccoli, sprouts, couple of bits of carrot and couple of bits of roast parsnip, gravy and, if carbs allow, possibly a small Yorkshire Pudding.

Dessert: the rest of the strawberries and cream

Drinks: black decaff coffee, still spring water, red wine

BibaBee

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@BibaBee sorry Mr B is having a tough time recovering from eye treatment. Must be scary. I am still waiting for hospital appt after they werent happy with my retinopathy on Jan 31.

Thank you. Any idea when you'll get your appointment? It must be a worry having to wait. Having said that, you may even find that things have settled again by the time you get seen. I think they tend to be over cautious to be honest. Mr B has the issues because his diabetes was undiagnosed for such a long time (which we suspect had already caused retinopathy / maculopathy). Then a rapid drop in his BG due to initially being on insulin and the changes in his diet just made things escalate. I'm just so thankful for the NHS and that the treatment is available. They are really pleased with his progress. It's all just a bit too much for him sometimes with his anxiety issues. Sending you hugs and hoping your son is recovering well. xx

Last edited:
Reactions: ianpspurs and DJC3