Type 2 What to eat with soup

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m doing this tight now, but I have a Dutch oven so it’s on the hob hoping there’s enough top heat and not too much bottom to cook it evenly. Save putting the big oven on and it’d work camping if it turns out ok. Not long to go now to check. Have no ovenproof frying pans.
Bit burnt on the bottom but a trivet and cake tin would sort that out next time. Just waiting on it to cool enough to eat with my soup!

Update. Still too cake like in texture for me. Quite crumbly too. It’ll get eaten though.

Last edited:

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If I feel I need something more solid with my soup, then:
bought or home made low carb bread, or savoury shortbread, with butter and maybe cheese, focaccia made with Sukrin flour, black olives & rosemary from a recipe on the packet, suitably flavoured microwaved muffins, or my favourite - parmesan crisps, to which I'll occasionally add a little milled golden flaxseed. But not any of these ever get dunked!

Bread & foccacia I bake in oven, microwave muffins can be cooked this way too, and so I believe can the parmesan crisps.

Robbity

D

Deleted member 308541

I’m doing this tight now, but I have a Dutch oven so it’s on the hob hoping there’s enough top heat and not too much bottom to cook it evenly. Save putting the big oven on and it’d work camping if it turns out ok. Not long to go now to check. Have no ovenproof frying pans.
Change a damper recipe to what ingredients you prefer instead of flour for when you cook in th dutch oven / camp oven.

https://www.bestrecipes.com.au/recipe/camp-oven-damper-l2142.html

Reactions: HSSS

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You could make your own low carb bread or crackers.
This is quite a quick and easy recipe. Makes about 3 slices. It does taste a bit 'eggy'.

Low Carb Mug Bread

3 tablespoons Almond Flour
Half a teaspoon Baking Powder
1 Egg
1 tablespoon Butter

Mix ingredients. Microwave in mug/plastic/glass container for 90 seconds.

have to agree i find soup without bread like batman without robin...just doesn't seem right.
so i now avoid it.

but did make mug bread..(cheers @Prem51 )
had seen recipe before but you pushed me into making it tonight.

toasted it, slap of butter...very nice.
cake like ?...yeah i get that.
would i make again...too right.:D

EDIT: not suitable imho for soup dipping.

Last edited:

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I usually have a slice of Tesco’s high protein bread with mine - 10g carbs per slice.