Type 1 Can you buy low carb meals

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It's a real pain in the butt until you get the hang of things. It does become second nature in fairly short order but it is a steep learning curve.

Jamietomkinson1990

Type of diabetes
Type 1
It's a real pain in the butt until you get the hang of things. It does become second nature in fairly short order but it is a steep learning curve.

Yep my nurse ain’t very clear on things either I don’t really know what I’m doing do I inject after every meal ? With the carb counting and do I inject befour or after the meal

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Also my levels have dropped from 19 down to 2 within 2 hours
This is why I don't tend to say much to people on insulin. I don't use it and would be worried that my"advice" might be inappropriate. I would be guided by other insulin users.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Jamietomkinson1990 - M7S have quite a few ready meals that don't add up to too many carbs, and if you like, say, Indian foods, many curries have modest levels of carb in them, if you don't bother with the rice. For me, curry with more curry works better than curry with rice.

Alternatively, if M&S isn't convenient for you (my nearest is about 15 miles away, so it's not always a pratical option!), several of the ready meals, based on fish can be OK.

Stir fries work well, and can be done in just a few minutes in a wok and a highheat. A stir-fry gives the added satisfaction of being "made by my own hand".

Being a T1, are you looking to reduce the carbs, or maybe struggling to get the dosaging correct? Please don't think that's me being critical, as not being insulin dependent, I have no idea what it's like to do that juggling, day in and day out

toonlad66

I’m in the same position as you Jamie I haven’t a clue when it comes to what I should be eating it’s all meaningless numbers to me, I need a meal plan too, personally one where I don’t lose weight

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
This was what I expected. As just saying to people “you need to go low carb” is not as straight forward as it seems. There is a lot packed in to those few words. Prescribing a low carb approach should ideally come with supporting guidelines.

Last edited:

Jamietomkinson1990

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I’m in the same position as you Jamie I haven’t a clue when it comes to what I should be eating it’s all meaningless numbers to me, I need a meal plan too, personally one where I don’t lose weight

That’s what I need I wat to maby carbs but don’t want to loose weight just want less carbs and see if it helps I don’t allways get the correction dose correct

Reactions: toonlad66

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I was as confused as you guys, in many senses. I read and read heaps of posts on this forum, filtered out some of the stuff that wasn’t appropriate and came out of it with a solution that worked. It is worth investing some time doing that and I am sure you will find it beneficial.

Reactions: toonlad66

Jamietomkinson1990

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I was as confused as you guys, in many senses. I read and read heaps of posts on this forum, filtered out some of the stuff that wasn’t appropriate and came out of it with a solution that worked. It is worth investing some time doing that ad I am sure you will find it beneficial.

Right now I’m just looking on that diet doctor app for some foods

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Right now I’m just looking on that diet doctor app for some foods
I didn’t look at diet doc so much, but I believe it is helpful. I just asked questions a lot and read peoples threads. There are a lot of success stories here.

VioletViolet

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
To be honest food manufacturers are missing a trick here. I am not saying I would use them every day but it would certainly help if there were ready meals available for those bleurgh totally knackered work days when you want something more than eggs/cheese/cooked chicken but just want the food to magically appear and have minimal washing up ;) Don't they want our money ?

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
To be honest food manufacturers are missing a trick here. I am not saying I would use them every day but it would certainly help if there were ready meals available for those bleurgh totally knackered work days when you want something more than eggs/cheese/cooked chicken but just want the food to magically appear and have minimal washing up ;) Don't they want our money ?
I very much agree. I am very surprised they haven’t clicked on to a potential humongous market. My wife’s employer supplies a couple of the big supermarket type chains and as far as I know they have not yet made such products.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
One quick meal is:
  • Ribeye steak cut into strips
  • Fry with some asparagus
  • Add a little salt
Under 15 minutes from fridge to plate.

Last edited:

VioletViolet

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I very much agree. I am very surprised they haven’t clicked on to a potential humongous market. My wife’s employer supplies a couple of the big supermarket type chains and as far as I know they have not yet made such products.

I've even got the perfect brand name "Fat Cuisine" ;)- remember those awful Lean Cuisines in the 80s/90s?

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I suspect with processed meals its a case of preservative so they can store in your fridge for several days probably up to a week since they were manufactured. Sugar is a cheap and widely used preservative. Thats probably why there are no LC prepared meals.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Is it the convenience of a ready meal you want for speed and ease?
Or the carbs ready counted for you to make doses easier to calculate?

The answer will affect the advice best suited for you

If it’s about time and ease simple low carb recipes are abundant and we can give some or direct you to good sites. (In fact many websites give the carb count too!)

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
It sounds to me that learning to carb count and getting your insulin right might be more useful than low carb ready meals.