Type 2 and takeaways.....

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'd like to put my two pennorth in on this subject. Being a person who enjoys a KFC I looked up their nutrition tables.

https://www.kfc.co.uk/nutrition.pdf

The original recipe is not to be as feared as some people might think. OK, everything else in the shop should be avoided but the chicken thighs and drumsticks are acceptable. I find it a bit of an injustice when the good stuff is thrown out with the bad. Even the PHC just put a KFC bucket in the "to be avoided" graphic.

WARNING: Don't eat the fries ...........or maybe just half of one portion.
What do you eat and drink in KFC, Squire?

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
And there you have the reason we’re on this website not that one! It’s damaging advice that contributes to the idea that diabetes is inevitably progressive and managed (slowed) by drugs alone.

If you are type 2 you body fails to process carbs properly. Fact. So you have choices.
1. Do nothing, eat all the carbs modern life offers, get worse, possibly quickly and maybe take medications to slow it down a bit
2. Change (lessen) the carbs you eat. With or without medication depending on how much you are willing or able to change.

Sadly that means for many of us takeaways have to change to better options and if that change renders them pointless in our minds stop entirely. I for one would never eat a full on old style takeaway. I do have modified versions once every few weeks (as I did before) without damage to my blood sugar levels by making different choices.
It would be interesting to see how many of us ate takeaways in our “previous lives”.

mazza 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So, having refrained from eating any takeaway food since the end of December, if one was so inclined - what frequency would anyone enjoy the odd Chinese, Indian, pizza etc.? Have read the various websites regarding advice, and tbh - advice like you can enjoy the same food as anyone else as long as its healthy and balanced is fine, but words used like “occasionally” are meaningless in overall context regarding timescales and then they further go on to suggest that if having say, KFC - to only have original recipe chicken and remove the skin, and switch fries for salad. A McD’s? Remove the buns, remove the special sauce and just eat the burger....is it just me, or is advice like that kinda missing the point of having (and enjoying!) a takeaway? What do others do? Appreciate that we all differ of course in how we all cope with different foods, so general opinions and thoughts?
FIrst Officer, I do feel your pain, although I have never been one for eating loads of take-a-way foods, I did on the occasion stop by for a McDonalds or Burger King. Since diagnoses, I haven't touched one. Do I miss then? not really, I can live without them. I think most of the population with type 2 diabetes just cut out the obvious foods such as cakes, sweets and anything containing too much sugar, but that is what they are advised to do. So, they take the tablets, eat the foods which they think are good for them such as brown bread, potatoes, brown rice etc and then can't understand why their conditioning is worsening. Some people take the attitude, I'm only here once so I'm gonna eat and drink what I like and not worry about it (until, maybe something happens to them). I'm grateful that I found this website and the advice on low carbing or else I would not have got my levels down. What I do is bake some low carb treats and if I'm out and friends want to pop in for a coffee, I'll have one of my treats with me, which to be honest tastes a lot better than some of the goods you can buy. Others have said having an occasional blow out (like at Christmas) won't kill you and as long as it's a one off enjoy it. At the end of the day, it's completely down to you and no one here or anywhere should criticise you for your decisions. Take care.

Reactions: DJC3 and Richard'63

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have just eaten Chinese takeaway :hungry: A quarter crispy duck (well an eighth really as I have some left over), two small pancakes spread with a merest smudge of sauce and the veggies. I have eaten this before and tested so I know that my blood sugar won’t rise too much.

Charis1213

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
i have never been a fan of takeaway food the only thing i used to enjoy was chippy fish and chips, so me and hubby have tested this and we get a huge haddock in batter each and share chips. I'm not a fan of chips so just eat a few , but twice since we have had fish and chips and i also get scraps, scrumps or whatever you call them where you live and two hours later my blood spikes to 8.4 . I don't know if this is bad but i do enjoy the meal it makes a big change .
Next morning though 7.4 .
I don't think these are bad considering the fish is in scrumptious batter :)

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What do you eat and drink in KFC, Squire?
I have never eaten in a KFC but I am a sometime user of the drive through. I only buy original recipe since I have long been aware of the nutrition figures. Fries come with the chicken but I donate most of them to the bin since they spike me badly. Since I bring the food home I drink tea or wine whichever kind of day it is. I should add that I only do this once or twice a month.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My fast food outlet of choice these days is Nandos. The chicken thighs or chicken wings are great and low carb I add avocado and/ or halloumi sides too.

M

Member496333

I’m very wary of anything that I didn’t make myself out of whole ingredients. Avoiding carbohydrate is relatively easy when you’re accustomed to it, but avoiding seed oils is almost impossible. That’s not to say I never eat out, but it’s certainly not a habit, and I never crave takeaways, so they’re easy to ‘avoid’.

Aargh!_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Many thanks for the replies, and i guess really what i am asking - is how often members on here may (or may not) say "sod it" and throw caution to the wind and enjoy a full takeout on however many days each week/fortnight/month/ quarter etc.? Having refrained for nearly 3 months, just trying to figure if anyone does it at all without skimping on what i would see as having a full-on meal as you would with other (non-diabetic) friends. No offence to anyone, but for me personally having a takeaway and removing say the pancakes and hoisin sauce for me would ruin the chinese part of aromatic duck, removing the chips, bun and special sauce from the burger again defeats the point for me in having such a treat. Is T2 such a dire condition that we have to avoid such food forever if wishing to enjoy to the full? If so, then fair play - but another well-known diabetes website suggests that Diabetics can enjoy all the same foods as a non-diabetic person, as along as moderation and a healthy balance is maintained also. They then go on to suggest as i said previously about removing "this" and "that" from takeaway food, which is contrary to their original suggestion of being able to enjoy all foods that non-diabetics do. I could respect the advice far more if they took a stance of saying that T2's can either never enjoy such food (takeaway food), or suggest it is only eaten on say 'X' number of occasions per week/month/year etc.? I can't abide the 'PC' nature of such statements by organisations, as it makes them seem pointless to me personally in any advice they proffer on dietary advice. Same thought applies to how often people may or may not enjoy milk chocolate for example - sometimes? never? high cocoa content chocolate i know about being the better choice, but this isnt really what i'm talking about - i'm talking about enjoying food sometimes as opposed to the miserable existence of generally eating like a rabbit.
Once a month on payday for me but my blood sugar pays the price. Choose what works for you

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have never eaten in a KFC but I am a sometime user of the drive through. I only buy original recipe since I have long been aware of the nutrition figures. Fries come with the chicken but I donate most of them to the bin since they spike me badly. Since I bring the food home I drink tea or wine whichever kind of day it is. I should add that I only do this once or twice a month.
Would that be the chicken pieces off the bone or the wings / thighs?

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My fast food outlet of choice these days is Nandos. The chicken thighs or chicken wings are great and low carb I add avocado and/ or halloumi sides too.
I noted Nando’s has been mentioned in the past so at some point we will revisit Nando’s but on the next occasion I will take your tip. We haven’t been since I started low(er) carbing.

Reactions: DJC3
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Would that be the chicken pieces off the bone or the wings / thighs?
They come in a bargain bucket, are called pieces and are definitely still on the bone. Anything else not shaped like a part of a chicken should be avoided.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Lightly battered Tempura with a Kirin lager or four

Does nothing to my sugars

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The good things about Nandos is they have a good selection of LC sides. Eating out in pubs I find if you dont want chips you often get a pile of rocket which just gets caught in your teeth and throat lol. Btw last night we had Indian t/a I had Tandoori Shashlik kebab and cauliflower bhajee. I usually dont eat all the Shashlik but last night I was very hungry and demolished the lot. I paid for it with a high FBG this morning. Lesson learnt.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The good things about Nandos is they have a good selection of LC sides. Eating out in pubs I find if you dont want chips you often get a pile of rocket which just gets caught in your teeth and throat lol. Btw last night we had Indian t/a I had Tandoori Shashlik kebab and cauliflower bhajee. I usually dont eat all the Shashlik but last night I was very hungry and demolished the lot. I paid for it with a high FBG this morning. Lesson learnt.
A high BFG? I am reading that to the little one right now.

Nando’s is my wife’s favourite eating place.

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Me to I love Nandos chicken thighs but only go there for a treat occasionally these days