Type 2 How do I eat carbs without eating bread etc

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
I appreciate this is a stupid, very very stupid question and I feel like I should know this but I just can’t think of how.
I don’t want to eat traditional carby things like bread, pasta etc but I do want to eat some more.

I had 50.3 g of carbs yesterday but it’s all from sausages etc etc so I want to try and eat healthier.

I realised (having been ill last week ) that while I’m lower carb I wouldn’t say my diet is good.

I eat a lot of sausages and processed meat.

So yesterday I bought gammon steaks and had veg and egg etc. But I couldn’t think of how to have some carbs in that meal?

So apologies fir a very stupid question, don’t know why i don’t know and that I should know after all this time, but if I did know it’s vanished.

I’m type 2 and on forxiga.

Still not worked out how to update profile sorry.

pr126

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am doing a keto diet, reduced carbs to <30 gr per day. Average glucose levels after meals are 5.5 - 6.5 constant.

I make bread in a mug with almond flour, or coconut flour mixed, takes 1 minute and 30 seconds in the microwave, the recipe on Youtube.
Absolutely no grain (bread, pasta) products, potatoes, rice, just cruciferous vegetables, and moderate protein, Max 80 gr per day.

Obviously no sugar at all.

Lost 6 kg in the process.

One more thing. Measure your BG 1.5 hours after each meal. So you know what to avoid.

Reactions: Prem51

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
I am doing a keto diet, reduced carbs to <30 gr per day. Average glucose levels after meals are 5.5 - 6.5 constant.

I make bread in a mug with almond flour, or coconut flour mixed, takes 1 minute and 30 seconds in the microwave, the recipe on Youtube.
Absolutely no grain (bread, pasta) products, potatoes, rice, just cruciferous vegetables, and moderate protein, Max 80 gr per day.

Obviously no sugar at all.

Lost 6 kg in the process.

One more thing. Measure your BG 1.5 hours after each meal. So you know what to avoid.

Thanks

I don’t want to do Keto or go super low carb. I just don’t feel particularly well on it.

Maybe in the long run when I finally get used to having lower sugars.

So at the mo I just want to be lower carb but not too low.

So just want ideas of what to eat to get some carbs in but not too many

Reactions: Tophat1900

pr126

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well, I am doing it because I want to reverse my diabetes completely and stop taking meds.

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
@Cana sausages are ok if you eat high meat content sausages.

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
Well, I am doing it because I want to reverse my diabetes completely and stop taking meds.

As do I. However I don’t feel well on too low carb at the moment so it’s not appropriate for me. Great if it works for you but in all honesty that’s not the relevance of the question.

Surely it’s each to their own and there is no right or wrong?

My overall aim is the same, however I need to also be able to work and not feel like rubbish the whole time.

I am not dissing your way however my question was about how I can increase carbs slightly but not too much to suit my lifestyle to make it work for me. At no point was it about how good Keto is or how wonderful Uber low carb is.

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
@Cana sausages are ok if you eat high meat content sausages.

Yes but I want to eat less processed meat and just become healthier with my food.

I love sausages but I do eat a lot and they become my go to because it’s easy. I have no problem with sausages I just want to eat more natural rather than processed.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Cana You could have bread such as HiLo which is around 5.5g carbs per slice, you don’t need to give up completely.

Have you tried looking at https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/foods for recipes? They have low carb as well as keto sections

You could also try a few more carby veg with your meals ( peas, carrots etc) but do check your meter afterwards so make sure you’re not getting a spike.
Some people can tolerate pulses and beans without spiking ( not me sadly) so they are another option, just check and see.

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
@Cana You could have bread such as HiLo which is around 5.5g carbs per slice, you don’t need to give up completely.

Have you tried looking at Dietdoctor.com for recipes? They have low carb as well as keto sections

You could also try a few more carby veg with your meals ( peas, carrots etc) but do check your meter afterwards so make sure you’re not getting a spike.
Some people can tolerate pulses and beans without spiking ( not me sadly) so they are another option, just check and see.

Thanks

I woke up at 4.9 today with my 50g yesterday. Never feel well at that so thinking of going up to 70g and see if that helps.

Do I just divvy those grams so say 20g each meal?

For breakfast I added slice of bread just to bring something in carby as otherwise meal was less than 5g

I have loads of recipes I just don’t fancy cooking at the mo. Ill last week and lived off bread as only think I could stomach so kind of starting again.

Forcing myself to eat D friendly food but it’s not something I’m fancying at the mo. I’m fine with it just adding in too much prep and cooking and that might be step too far.
So looking at keeping it simple, just slab of meat, salad and veg.

Reactions: DJC3
M

Member496333

Vegetables are the most natural source of carbohydrate if you wish to avoid grains. Fruit also, but personally I’m not a fan due to the ninja fructose content.

Charis1213

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks

I don’t want to do Keto or go super low carb. I just don’t feel particularly well on it.

Maybe in the long run when I finally get used to having lower sugars.

So at the mo I just want to be lower carb but not too low.

So just want ideas of what to eat to get some carbs in but not too many
You can have about 100 carbs a day split over your meals that would give you more variety , and have you tried strawberries and blueberries with walnuts and double cream for dessert ? its amazing and very satisfying .

Reactions: DJC3

Charis1213

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I was offered Metformin my sugar was 106 i was not accepting medication so went on lchf and reduced my A1c to 59 in 11 weeks, it can be done without Metformin . my cholesterol also dropped down to 6 .3 from 7.3 .

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
I appreciate this is a stupid, very very stupid question and I feel like I should know this but I just can’t think of how.
I don’t want to eat traditional carby things like bread, pasta etc but I do want to eat some more.

I had 50.3 g of carbs yesterday but it’s all from sausages etc etc so I want to try and eat healthier.

I realised (having been ill last week ) that while I’m lower carb I wouldn’t say my diet is good.

So yesterday I bought gammon steaks and had veg and egg etc. But I couldn’t think of how to have some carbs in that meal?

So apologies fir a very stupid question, don’t know why i don’t know and that I should know after all this time, but if I did know it’s vanished.

@Cana, I suggest fruit or smoothies if you want carbs or if you're after less trad staple you could go for couscous, quinoa, sweet potato or a big bowl of chilli, crackers and cheese and cakes.
Writing the list is making me hungry but I don't eat these things. Hope you find a good solution
This is helpful
https://www.carbsandcals.com/app/app

resander

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Goto
www.tesco.com, www.asda.com, www.sainsburys.co.uk... online shops
and have a look-around.
Once in, search on product, for example burger, sausage, steak pie, chicken pie, etc whatever you fancy. Most of your search matches would contain carbo hydrates.

Vegetables, fruits, berries and spices contain carbohydrates. Here is a list that I have compiled and that I am using:

Energy kcal, carbohydrates and protein per 100g of Food Product

PRODUCT KCAL CARB[gram] PROTEIN[gram]
Ampalaya (bitter gourd/melon) 20 4 1(good for diabetes)
Bok Choy (Chinese cabbage) 12 2 ?
Kangkong (water spinanch) 19 3 3
Sweet potato leaves 41 7 2 (good diab)
Okra 33 7 2
Squash 17 3 1
Cassava 159(high) 38(hi) ? (bad diab)
Taro (root) 140 34(hi) ? (bad diab)
Spinach 30 2 3
Beans green (Green beans) 31 3 2
Beans kidney (Kidney beans) 111 14 8
Beans black (Black beans) 110 15 8
Beans butter (Butter beans) 89 13 6
Beans baked (Baked Beans) 81 15 4 (bad? diab)
Lentils 105 16 9 (bad? diab) Carrots 42 8 1
Peas raw 89 9 7
Peas mushy tinned/canned 72 12 4
Chickpeas 128 16 7
Onions 40 9 1
Tomatoes 18 4 1
Green/Red Peppers 22 3 1
Broccoli 34 7 3
Cauliflower 25 5 2

Pomegranate 83 19 2 (??diab)
Sampalok (tamarind) 239(high) (38) 2 (bad diab)
Jackfruit 95 23 2 (bad diab)
Makapuno (minicoconut, bad) 600(HIGH) 60(HIGH) 6 (BAD diab)
Pineapple 50 13
Mangoes 60 15 1
Papaya 43 11 ?
Apples 53 12 ?
Pears 46 10 ?
Banana 89 23 1 (bad? diab)
Plaintain (for cooking) 122 32(hi) 1 (bad diab)
Oranges 47 12 1 (ok diab)
Tangerines 53 13 1 (ok diab)
Grapefruit 42 11 1 (bad w some meds)
Lemon 29 1 1
Coconut 354 15 3
Avocado 160 9 2

Raspberries 32 4.6 1 (good diab)
Strawberries 30 6 1 (good diab)
Blueberries 68 14 1
Lingonberries 55 12 1
Cloudberries 51 9 2

Garlic 98 16 2

Black pepper 251 38 10
Black pepper us_tsp or 5ml 6 0.8 0.2
Cinnamon ground 247 28 4 (from usda DB) Cinnamon ground us_tsp or 5ml 6 0.7 0.1
Coriander seed 298 13 12 (from usda DB)
Coriander seed us-tsp or 5ml 5 1 0.2
Cumin seed 375 34 18 (usda DB)
Cumin seed us-tsp or 5ml 8 0.7 0.4
Turmeric ground 312 44 10 (usda DB)
Turmeric grd us-tsp or 5ml 9 1.3 0.3
Chilli powder 282 15 13 (usda DB)
Chilli powder us-tsp or 5ml 8 0.4 0.4

Comments in parenthesis 'good', 'bad', 'ok' etc are my opinion only. Not official in any way.

Ampalaya (bitter/gourd/bitter melon) is really nice. Guaranteed not sweet. Cut and fry until soft and (for example) add to omelette recipe or scrambled egg recipe.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Cana, I suggest fruit or smoothies if you want carbs or if you're after less trad staple you could go for couscous, quinoa, sweet potato or a big bowl of chilli, crackers and cheese and cakes.
Writing the list is making me hungry but I don't eat these things. Hope you find a good solution
This is helpful
https://www.carbsandcals.com/app/app

Smoothies can be tricky for T2s as the blending of the fruit and or veggies to make the smoothie cab begin breaking down the foodstuffs, and hasten any spike the person is going to have.

@Cana , I'm not saying don't have smoothies, just saying be more cautious of something blended that's something in its natural state. The blending can deliver a curved ball.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Cana, I know exactly what you mean. What I tend to do is include a few more underground veg, either in soups or my favourite at the moment is to slice up a mixture of swede/carrot/peppers/aubergine and just about any other veg you fancy, drizzle it in olive oil, into the oven for 40 mins. Tastes delicious and can contain anything between 10 carbs and upwards depending on your portion size. I also include 4 or 5 small pieces of pasta in a meat dish (amounts to 10 carbs for the pasta - not much but you would be surprised at how much it feels like hidden in the meat). I also use a few chickpeas in a dip and have it with a few vegetable sticks or a wedge or two of sweet potato added to a casserole. All quite small portions but an easy and healthier way to include a few more carbs. Hope this helps, you have done great by the way!

Edited to add just re read your post, I would go for raw veg and a dip of some kind, easy, as low to medium carb as you want.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks

I woke up at 4.9 today with my 50g yesterday. Never feel well at that so thinking of going up to 70g and see if that helps.

Do I just divvy those grams so say 20g each meal?

For breakfast I added slice of bread just to bring something in carby as otherwise meal was less than 5g

I have loads of recipes I just don’t fancy cooking at the mo. Ill last week and lived off bread as only think I could stomach so kind of starting again.

Forcing myself to eat D friendly food but it’s not something I’m fancying at the mo. I’m fine with it just adding in too much prep and cooking and that might be step too far.
So looking at keeping it simple, just slab of meat, salad and veg.

I would try to divvy them up between your meals otherwise you’ll end up with a lot of carbs in one meal which might cause a spike.
I sympathise with trying to eat like this when you’re ill, I spent a while in hospital a year or 2 back, felt awful and all I could manage was fruit. I knew it wasn’t ideal but I couldn’t keep anything else down. I hope you start to feel better soon. Most people, when they get the hang of lchf find they feel better for it and have more energy.
Other people here have mentioned fruit - berries are best, you might find you can stomach them with a few nuts until you feel better.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Do you think it might be the medication rather than the diet making you feel bad?

Maybe speak to your doctor about possible side effects and see if they tally with your illness?