Change Of Brand Of Metformin

Sharon_1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi everyone. Hope you are all doing ok.

I have been using Teva brand of Metformin for a couple of years now very successfully and when I picked up my recent prescription I was given the Actavis brand.

Just wondered which brands were most people on for Type 2.

I'm feeling anxious about changing brands.

Any help would be really gratefully received.

Take care.

Shazzie

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
I have often been given different brands of metformin and have not noticed any effects with different brands

Sharon_1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have often been given different brands of metformin and have not noticed any effects with different brands

Thanks so much for your reply.

I must stop googling things.

Shazzie

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
I was lucky, but other members might be different

Sharon_1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for replying. Sounds like I've been worrying about nothing.

My blood glucose has been brill on the Teva brand and I've also lost 2.5 stone. Fingers crossed this continues on the Actavis brand.

Thanks agagin.

Shazzie

Reactions: Pipp

al_leister

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Greedy Humans.....greedy animals I don't mind. I do like meat and fish but choose not to eat it!
Different brands over 6 years; nothing to report:)

spendercat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cruelty. I am kind.
I asked my doctor if there were different brands and he said No, Metformin is Metformin.
I had Merck glucophage, and it did not agree with me.
Perhaps that is just the UK.

Sharon_1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for replying. I didn't get on with the Activas brand at all. Felt sick on it but now I am back on the Teva brand I'm fine. Annoying when the GPs don't admit to all the brands out there.

Thanks again for replying.

Take care.

Shazzie x

psignathus

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
NICE guidelines in reference to nutrition
TBH been on lots of brands over the years. The only thing that bugs me is the brand that only has about 7 tablets in a strip. Seems like a waste of packaging to me and I walk from the chemist with about 15 boxes to fill my prescription :)

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
when I was taking it, I did have different brands and one did make me itch all over ..but cannot remember what the brand name was ..

Energize

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I asked my doctor if there were different brands and he said No, Metformin is Metformin.
I had Merck glucophage, and it did not agree with me.
Perhaps that is just the UK.
Metofrmin is the generic name of the medication so, yes, the GP was correct. However, different pharmaceutical companies add different fillers and coatings so it is possible and, in fact, not unusual, for one brand to suit and another not to suit.

This is the case with many medications. Personally, if I am prescribed a particular medication, I actively avoid a particular brand as, for some reason which has been investigated by the company, it just doesn't have the desired effect with me. Presumably, I can't break down something in the fillers or the coating and so the medication isn't absorbed, or active in me. There are lots of reports of similar issues, of course.

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I was doing all right on one brand of regular and had gotten over the normal GI side effects and the pharmacy changed the brand. The bottom fell out of my word, literally. Within 3 days I was in the hospital being rehydrated by IV. Switched to the extended release and no problems at all, in fact it seems slightly constipating and balances out my IBS. I have been enjoying having things normal for a change. Sorry for the TMI moment. So, yes I think different brands can affect a person differently but everyone is unique.

Sharon_1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks so much for all your replies.

This is very interesting and I'm glad it's not just me.

I am back on the Teva brand now so know it was the Actavis brand that made me feel sick. Like you say Energize it might be the fillers coating that didn't agree with me.

Sounds like you were really poorly Chalup on the different brand. I think when I put in a new prescription I'll ask for the Teva brand.

Shazzie xx

Reactions: pjayem1964

Gav-wxm

I know this is an old thread but I’ve just changed from one brand to another and the day that I changed my readings have gone from around 5.7-6.2 to 7.4-9.8

Not sure why but this is surely not a coincidence as it’s been high for 4 days running now. I’m eating and exercising the same so not sure why my readings have changed