Newbie - high glucose AND high cholesterol HELP!

debsf1mad

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Being hungry and not being able to eat what I like!
Still waiting for formal diagnosis but had two blood tests, just got told they were 7.4 and 7.6 and at appointment with nurse was also told cholesterol very high too. So now not sure LCHF will be good for me......

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Still waiting for formal diagnosis but had two blood tests, just got told they were 7.4 and 7.6 and at appointment with nurse was also told cholesterol very high too. So now not sure LCHF will be good for me......

Hello debs and welcome! First I’ll tag in @daisy1 for her useful info post. Do you have a breakdown of all your cholesterol levels? Drs have a habit of looking at the total and not taking into consideration the levels of good (HDL) and bad (LDL) cholesterol.

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes

When I was diagnosed in August last year my cholesterol was in the 6s.
I’ve followed a far higher fat diet than I ever have before. I used to fry dry, cut all fat off before diagnosis.
Now I use butter, I add butter to bake, I keep fat on food and in 6 months my cholesterol went down to 4.5.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
For most people lchf actually lowers their numbers in the long term. (Although weight loss caused by any method can temporarily raise it til it stabilises as losing body fat releases lipids into the blood from the cells)

Charis1213

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
hello welcome, have you had an A1c test done yet and which is your cholesterol. I do LCHF and my cholesterol dropped from 7.3 to 6.3 in 11 weeks my A1c dropped from 106 to 59 and i lost 21 lbs too .

I personally wouldn't say your cholesterol is very high, it is just that doctors seem obsessed about cholesterol and if you look on here there are lots of threads about cholesterol and nobody bothers much about it , and most doctors want to give statins which is also frowned upon on here .
Hope this helps , i wouldn't be worrying if it were me put it that way .

debsf1mad

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rachox, the nurse showed me LDL and HDL, I can't remember exact numbers but second test of LDL was 4 and she said it should be 2

Cana, I kind of want to try it as the diet really appeals to me, almost like permission to eat higher fat compensates for the lack of carbs, which I love :-D But she put the fear of God into me, saying a positive diabetes diagnosis will put me at high risk of a heart attack or stroke (despite the fact my blood pressure is A*)

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Are those numbers fasting blood glucose in mmol or hb1ac %

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Rachox, the nurse showed me LDL and HDL, I can't remember exact numbers but second test of LDL was 4 and she said it should be 2

Cana, I kind of want to try it as the diet really appeals to me, almost like permission to eat higher fat compensates for the lack of carbs, which I love :-D But she put the fear of God into me, saying a positive diabetes diagnosis will put me at high risk of a heart attack or stroke (despite the fact my blood pressure is A*)

And yet again she's wrong.. Uncontrolled T2 may increase your risk of a cardiac event so by achieving good control of your blood sugars/remission of T2 you can mitigate that risk down a lot.

Reactions: HSSS

debsf1mad

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
hello welcome, have you had an A1c test done yet and which is your cholesterol. I do LCHF and my cholesterol dropped from 7.3 to 6.3 in 11 weeks my A1c dropped from 106 to 59 and i lost 21 lbs too .

I personally wouldn't say your cholesterol is very high, it is just that doctors seem obsessed about cholesterol and if you look on here there are lots of threads about cholesterol and nobody bothers much about it , and most doctors want to give statins which is also frowned upon on here .
Hope this helps , i wouldn't be worrying if it were me put it that way .

I have another test next Monday, I think this will be the A1c, then another appointment 3rd April. She mentioned statins, I'm just worried if I start eating high fat (I've always tried to stay low fat, it's carbs that were my downfall) my cholesterol with go thru the roof!

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

You need to find out the HDL and triglyceride numbers too and feed them into one of the calculators available on line. My LDL is 4.1 but when all my numbers are entered into one of these calculators my ratios are perfect. As a @bulkbiker says (he taught me well!) it’s uncontrolled Type 2 which puts you at risk.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.

Just my personal opinion, but........

Ignore the cholesterol, ignore any weight issues, concentrate on the Blood Glucose levels.

Eat whatever brings your BG down (although low carbohydrate and extra fat is generally good). Once your BG is under control you can then take a longer term view on what weight you want to be and what cholesterol levels you are comfortable with.

Don't be stampeded into anything, especially statins, because there is a body of evidence which suggests that they may do more harm than good if you haven't already had a heart attack.

Above all DON'T PANIC!

It will probably take you months to get a grasp of what is going on so don't sweat the small stuff in the mean time.

It is worth noting that your body manufactures cholesterol from carbohydrates.

Reactions: DJC3

Charis1213

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have another test next Monday, I think this will be the A1c, then another appointment 3rd April. She mentioned statins, I'm just worried if I start eating high fat (I've always tried to stay low fat, it's carbs that were my downfall) my cholesterol with go thru the roof!
this is the problem we have been brainwashed into believing that animal fats cause high cholesterol and they do not , sometimes cholesterol does rise on lchf but in my personal opinion i don't worry about cholesterol because i know it is all a big con , but it is only my belief you can research about cholesterol and there is so much about it .

debsf1mad

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
You need to find out the HDL and triglyceride numbers too and feed them into one of the calculators available on line. My LDL is 4.1 but when all my numbers are entered into one of these calculators my ratios are perfect. As a @bulkbiker says (he taught me well!) it’s uncontrolled Type 2 which puts you at risk.
I can't get over the fact that if I hadn't gone for blood tests to establish where I was in menopause, I would be none the wiser i.e no symptoms AT ALL!

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I can't get over the fact that if I hadn't gone for blood tests to establish where I was in menopause, I would be none the wiser i.e no symptoms AT ALL!

It’s common. I had a routine blood tests for another condition. I had no clue either :(

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.

Well, apart from on diagnosis (when I suddenly lost half a stone and was peeing all the time) I haven't had any symptoms either.

T2 is one of those things where you don't show any symptoms until/unless something goes seriously out of whack.

It is only monitoring your BG levels which will show that you have T2 and with luck and careful management you may never have any symptoms at all.

debsf1mad

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
well thanks all, think I will start with the lower carbs and increase fat consumption until my appointment in April, see what happens.....

Reactions: DJC3

2019rico

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi been diagnosed t2 about a year now take ramiprill 5mg amlodipine 10 mg also statin 20 mg for blood pressure and colesterol
Bs levels cannot get down average8to9 on morning and anywhere from 12 to 18 evening have tried different meds to no avail terrible side effects been on 500g twice a day slow release sukkarto blood sugars won't come down but no side effects so there doubling the dose soon as diet and exercise won't cut it
Sorry to ramble on question is iff cholesterol at good level and diet good to stop takeing statins is it the end off the world
Sorry to jump on thread but sort it was sort of linked

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
It is worth noting here that drastic changes to diet and/or weight loss can skew cholesterol levels temporarily for some people.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
High insulin, being obese and high BP are greater risk factors than the LDL cholesterol numbers. Many of us have researched this to "death" if you excuse my choice of words. LDL is bad if it gets oxidised / damaged (the best method of doing this is a carb heavy diet), LDL "fixes" damage within the arteries, so the issue is to resolve the underlying health issue which LDL is trying to patch up.

If you are still concerned and want to straddle the line between current advice and accepting that HDL being high is more important, as well as lowering Triglycerides, walking and physical exercise can reduce LDL, reducing dairy a little and adding usual LCHF / Keto fats (I add and use butter, MCT oil for pancakes, I drink fresh coconut water, and reject the guidelines).

I would recommend YouTube, swat up on the Dave Feldman Protocol (this will show the variability of cholesterol numbers and what influences these). You might also want to watch Ivor Cummins, Dr. Paul Mason and Nina Teicholz, and research Ancel Keys and the 7 countries study. If you do these things, you will have choices about the science and where you should place your trust i.e. lowering cholesterol based on the ideas of Ancel Keys and others, when your body makes circa 85% naturally and your brain is made of 25%, or that other risk factors under your control reduce your risk of CVD / CHD even when using the risk calculators the NHS use.