worldtraveller

I'm new to carb counting! I use to look at fat and sugar content. My life has changed! When I count carbs, do I count net or all carbs? In other words, if I am looking to stay around the 50 carb mark, is it carbs minus fiber, and minus half sugar alcohol (if there is any), or am I looking for the full carb count of 50? One side note question, does it make any difference if the fiber is soluble or insoluble? Thanks

D

Deleted member 308541

When I count carbs, do I count net or all carbs? In other words, if I am looking to stay around the 50 carb mark, is it carbs minus fiber, and minus half sugar alcohol (if there is any), or am I looking for the full carb count of 50? One side note question, does it make any difference if the fiber is soluble or insoluble? Thanks

I use Fat Secrets nutrition info, where the number crunching has been done for you for various foods.

The carbs have included sugar in the total serve, and fibre is in a separate listing of it's own.

https://www.fatsecret.co.uk/calories-nutrition/

Reactions: petedusty

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If you use US sources for information about carbs they include the fibre in the total count, but UK sites have the fibre listed separately.
You need to count net carbs, without the fibre.
I do not do sugar alcohols at all - they let my gut flora party hard, and having had one afternoon where I thought that I was about to become geography, never again.

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm new to carb counting! I use to look at fat and sugar content. My life has changed! When I count carbs, do I count net or all carbs? In other words, if I am looking to stay around the 50 carb mark, is it carbs minus fiber, and minus half sugar alcohol (if there is any), or am I looking for the full carb count of 50? One side note question, does it make any difference if the fiber is soluble or insoluble? Thanks
Have a look at diet doctor and ditch the carbs for more useful info. This is a great link:

https://www.dietdoctor.com/how-low-carb-is-low-carb

Reactions: scribble41

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Generally speaking it's total carbs, although you are correct to query the polyols. Most find polyols don't trouble their bloods, but like most things with this frustrating condition, so do!

One general point I'd make is, please also be a bit mindful of poertion size when assessing whether something is suitable or not. By that I mean, if something is say, 8gr carb per 100gr, but a portion is 300gr, then that'll be 24gr carb per portion. If something is 30gr carb, per 100gr, but a portion is a teaspoonful, then that's not going to be a big hit, carb-wise, and may improve the enjoyment of the meal.

OK, that probably feels like a bit of fine tuning at this point, but just worth bearing in mind.

Good luck with it all!

worldtraveller

I've started counting net carbs. Most of the stuff here in Canada has Total Carbs, and then the Fiber just below it. I've spent my life watching my weight by checking for the amount of fat and sugar in food. I've never really looked at carbs before. I'm pretty cautious over the portion size, as I know how easily it is to be tricked (or possibly "by choice" to over-look it). I've also started my own fat-carb-protein counter book for my repetitious foods, like yogurts, broccoli, etc. It will take awhile more to get use to carb counting. This has been a big learning curve the past few weeks, so thanks everyone!!!