Freestyle Libre Rash

Marksman4519

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
eggs in any form but especially boiled, paying bills!!!
Two months ago I contacted Freestyle Libre complaining about a rash and discomfort after the sensor was placed on my upper arm. After the initial phone call I was sent a replacement and it worked well. No irritation however after this my next one and subsequent ones I have complained again and this time wa that s told that it was probably the soap I was using. Not true as I started using a non perfumed shower soap. Still getting the same rash and discomfort. I read on line that I am not alone and that other people were experiencing similar reactions. I also read that a new glue was being used on newer sensors being issued. Has anyone else had similar experiences? I think Freestyle has a responsibility to its customers and users to replace the sensors that have caused the problems with the new sensors as they are not fit for purpose!!

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Two months ago I contacted Freestyle Libre complaining about a rash and discomfort after the sensor was placed on my upper arm. After the initial phone call I was sent a replacement and it worked well. No irritation however after this my next one and subsequent ones I have complained again and this time wa that s told that it was probably the soap I was using. Not true as I started using a non perfumed shower soap. Still getting the same rash and discomfort. I read on line that I am not alone and that other people were experiencing similar reactions. I also read that a new glue was being used on newer sensors being issued. Has anyone else had similar experiences? I think Freestyle has a responsibility to its customers and users to replace the sensors that have caused the problems with the new sensors as they are not fit for purpose!!

Hi @Marksman4519 , one of the best sources of information that I've discovered on the subject so far is actually a facebook page simply called dexcom and libre rash. You can also google Isobornyl Acrylate and you will discover some interesting info.

The current trend seems to be to remove the sticky pad and replace it with something else. Skintac may be enough for initial application but you'll probably have to put something over the top of it to keep it in place. I'm about to try this myself. We shouldn't have to do this of course but it is what it is.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
And apparently some people become allergic to the sensor needle itself, so they are totally out of luck. Although I intensely dislike Abbott's lack of openness about this issue, I do have a certain amount of sympathy. Some people's bodies develop allergies, and it may be that some people can't cope with long term continuous cgm use. The technology isn't suited for everyone, though like all the rest I'm keen to try when the new adhesive comes out. (And I also suspect that there'll be an unlucky few who are fine now and will become allergic to the new adhesive.)
When I developed an allergy Abbott replaced multiple sensors (and a reader) to see whether the fault lay with their equipment. (I not only had an allergy but found that the readings from the sensors became hopelessly inaccurate.) It's not their fault that my particular autoimmune system objected to prolonged contact to the glue and/or sensor needle.

Note that the last time I attempted a sensor (after a 6 month break) the allergy was much better, but the results were uselessly inaccurate. So it may be worth giving your system a break between sensors.

ann34+

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

Hi, unfortunately some people, myself included, cannot use the Libre due to this rash and/or discomfort. i got several replacements, same thing happened and then got refund after a while, also was told i would not be able to use again as it was not suitable, my GPs know , i do get a number of allergies. Sadly, it was not for me, it was good and having the graph good . I have not used the newer sensors you mention.

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Go on the Facebook and Libre rash site as urbanracer suggested. It is an eye opener. Very upsetting, but at least you know you are not alone. After having the allergic reaction myself I started to spray 4 layers of Cavillon on. It has worked for 6 months, but unfortunately the glue now seems to be breaching that as well. My lovely chemist is keeping his eye out for the new glue batches. Am hoping I won’t react to those. If I do I shall go down the route of removing the glue pad and sticking onto allergy tape. As I already cover 24/7 with Opsite covering it won’t be a problem though expensive!

RobertSK

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Anti-maskers and Anti-Vacc people.
Hello, I’m a new member from Canada and I’d like to share my Freestyle experience. I had been successfully using the Libre system for around 6 months but then started to get mild skin irritations after removing the sensors. The redness got worse, so I started to move the sensors around (thigh, waist, etc.) to see if that worked - no joy! I was still getting ugly itchy red marks that took weeks to fade. I tried barrier sprays (skin prep, cavulon(sp)) but had zero success. I contacted Abbott about the problem but they were very dismissive and basically said it was my problem. Long story short, I have switched to Dexcom for my CGM.