New and after advice please!!

Emma2702

Hello
I'm Emma
I'm 40 mum to 2 second pregnancy I had gestational diabetes.
After baby my sugars went back to normal
I felt ill had more tests hba1c over 2 years went like this
And I've just had results from last week's test and it's 84!!!!!
I've never been diagnosed with diabetes although when I was pregnant I kept having hypos and the consultant said maybe I was type 2 before being pregnant due to a couple of high ISH readings in the past!

Can anyone please compare results with me and say if you are type 1 or 2 and medications taken?

I was on Metformin for years due to polycystic ovaries so I'm wondering whether it masked this?

I'm worried it's so high I could die in the night or something!!!!

Thanks for reading xx

EllsKBells

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi
@Emma2702

Just to hopefully put your mind at rest a bit, whilst an Hba1c of 84 is on the higher side, it is definitely not THAT high that you might "die in the night" - which is unlikely from high blood sugars, anyway. Take a few deep breaths! It's a scary word to hear, 'diabetes', but you've found the right place, which is good. My last hba1c (I'm Type 1) was 67, which is not fantastic. I'm on insulin, plus a pharmacy of other pills for various other broken body parts :)

Tagging @daisy1 for some info for you, and @Juicyj , who I believe was diagnosed with Type 1 following pregnancy (if not, sorry, my memory is terrible!)

Sending hugs your way if you would like them :)

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Emma, welcome or the forum.

What has your dr had to say about the latest hb1ac? In fact what have they been doing about it for a while ? Anything over 48 in the UK is diabetes so it’s been there the last two tests not just this one. Are they doing any further tests?

So yes yours is high but if it’s type 2 there’s lots you can do to bring that down. Statistically that is more likely because around 90% of diabetics are type 2 but no one here can rule out type 1 based on numbers alone and the little information we have. Type 2 is the type more common following gestational too. My post makes the assumption it’s type 2 we’re dealing with.

How do you eat typically? Do you weight to lose? Have you recently lost weight? Got any other symptoms?

Metformin helps but doesn’t do all the work needed. Are you still on it?

Daisy’s welcome will help get you started. Most type 2’s (and some type 1’s) on here eat low carb in some way as fundamentally diabetics can’t deal effectively with carbs. I’ll add some more links that give some good starting information.

Above all breath. It’s not as bad as it’s always been portrayed and it doesn’t have to get worse. It can even be controlled so well you have normal numbers with some changes to the way you do things.

Can I suggest you take a good look at low carb high fat methods of eating (keto is just a version of this). It helps many of us lose significant amounts of weight, if desired, keep our numbers down and for some even eliminate medications and achieve remission and reduce or improve complications. Try clicking these links for more detailed explanations that are well worth readings

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/blog/jokalsbeek.401801/ for info including low carb made simple

And https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/category/success-stories-and-testimonials.43/ to show it really works and for motivation

and https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/what-have-you-eaten-today.75781/ for food ideas

also https://www.dietdoctor.com/ for more food ideas and general info of carb content of foods. Lots of other websites for recipes out there too. Just use the term low carb or keto with whatever you fancy.

Also it’s very important to be able to check for yourself what’s happening so you can make the necessary adjustments day to day and meal by meal rather than wait 3,6 or even 12 months and then have no idea what had what effect. Getting a blood glucose meter is the only way to do this (no matter what contradictory advice you may have heard - it’s usually budget based rather than anything more scientific). Please ask if you want any guidance on this.

IMPORTANT FOR ANYONE ON DIABETIC MEDS CONSIDERING LOWERING CARBS: if you lower your carbs then any glucose lowering meds may need to be adjusted accordingly to make sure you aren’t taking more than your new diet requires. It can cause a hypo if you have more gliclazide or insulin etc (this is not relevant for metformin on its own) than your new carb intake requires. Keep a close eye on your numbers and ideally do this with your dr. Please don’t be put off by an ill informed out dated rubbishing of low carb diets or being told you should eat carbs to match meds, it should be the other way around.

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
I'm worried it's so high I could die in the night or something!!!!

Welcome to the forum, I think you should put your mind at rest, an HbA1c of 84 is high but at least you know that you should do something about it.

Reactions: Emma2702

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
At diagnosis I had Hba1c of 91 - but there was no reason I was about to die.
Yes, undiscovered or ignored diabetes can result in some unpleasant consequences, but all I needed to do was get to the root of the problem and stop eating all the 'healthy' carbs.
Now I have got normal levels for Hba1c and blood glucose.
I started off by reducing down to 50 gm of carbs a day, all from fresh veges and salads. As a lucky type two once I was no longer in the diabetic range I had frozen berries a couple of times a week.
But I am eating fewer carbs now in order to try to reduce my weight, as better coping with the carbs means easier weight gain - back to what it was decades ago. At least I feel as I did decades ago too, far more energetic.

Caeseji

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self-fellating idiots that don't at all look at other people's views
@Emma2702 echoing the others here as that isn't a really super high HB1AC, I mean I came out with 114 last year so it always varies! You're in good company and the wellspring of advice will get you coming back to normal sugar levels soon hopefully!

ninaleonard78

hi im a newbie too....my hb1ac was 136....4/3/19....had my first hypo yesterday night too and first app with diabetes nurse today....its all a learning curve...ive cut down on carbs but not cut them right out im choosing better options as it small steady steps...x

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @Emma2702 and welcome :)

Firstly you are not going to die in the night so please don't worry, however no one here can say what your diagnosis is but now you have a result then your team will be able to do some further tests to check your diagnosis.

I was gestational, picked up at 23 weeks and high enough to warrant being put straight onto insulin, once my daughter arrived things returned to normal, however about 3 years later after a weeks skiing holiday I became very unwell, peeing, thirst, thrush, weight loss, pear breath and feeling like death, as soon as I came home I booked into the GP and was sent straight to hospital and onto insulin, around 10-14% of gestational cases develop into type 1. So it is fairly rare.

You really need to speak to your team to find out the answers from them there though, please let us know how you get on ?

Emma2702

Wow thank you so much for all the information and warm welcomes!
I forgot to come back and check this so was really happy with the fact I had replies!

My drs have done nothing over the last 2 years apart from say it's creeping up!

I'm not currently on Metformin at the moment but I have managed to get a drs appointment for tomorrow afternoon.

My diet is rubbish I'm over weight and I really needed this kick up the backside!

We brought a puppy a couple of weeks ago to make me go out the house and my mum booked a holiday yesterday which I said I wanted to lose weight for!

I followed the low carb diet when I was pregnant and it kept my numbers low in gd so I'm going to return to that diet

Thanks again and I will update you all tomorrow evening after my appointment xxx

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@Emma2702
Hello Emma and welcome to the Forum :) Here is the Basic Information we give to new members and I hope you will find it both interesting and helpful.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEW MEMBERS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you'll find well over 147,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.

There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:

• Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates
Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes.

Over 145,000 people have taken part in the Low Carb Program - a 10 week structured education course that is helping people lose weight and reduce medication dependency by explaining the science behind carbs, insulin and GI.

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to blood glucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic.

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.