itchy anyone

Tracieann

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
hi all diagnosed type 2 in early feb hba1c was 51 had started low carb before diagnosis now 16lbs off but im finding my skin is quite dry and a bit itchy anybody else have this and do you have any tips please

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Shea butter is one suggestion :) Vitamin E cream another

thetechnocrat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being bossed about by my wife (she who will be obeyed)
hi all diagnosed type 2 in early feb hba1c was 51 had started low carb before diagnosis now 16lbs off but im finding my skin is quite dry and a bit itchy anybody else have this and do you have any tips please
I have suffered from Peripheral Neuropathy for years which can include both painful and very itchy episodes. My doctor tried me out on Gabapentin and Pregabalin both of which disagreed with me so I tolerated the problem for a long time.
I tried various creams all to no effect, but finally the Diabetes nurse suggested Vitamin B Compound (strong) tablets which to my surprise have helped me a lot.
What is difficult to take on board is that Diabetes can bring with it a host of unwelcome side effects, and skin conditions is just one of them.
I think that works for one person may not work for another, but to be perfectly frank with you keeping your Diabetes under firm control is the best option.

Spl@

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Humans that only take.
Timely thread. Saved me posting the same question.

I have an itchy area between my shoulder blades. Really annoying and difficult to get at.
No redness, just itchy. Like slight sunburn.

Will give some of the stuff suggested a go.

Reactions: jjraak

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I had a lot of itchiness all over, before I started low(er) carbing but that has gone.

Since low(er) carbing some of my skin is dry and I have to ensure I take flax seed each day. That helps.

Reactions: Ponchu

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
There are a few people who find itchiness to be a side effect of Metformin. If you take Met then it may be worth speaking to your nurse or GP about your skin.

Tracieann

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
im not on any meds trying to control by diet first getting there but upper arms and front of upper legs very dry thanks for replies

macabee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dislikes
People who think Diabetes is 'nothing much to worry about'
As your skin is dry you need a good moisturiser, appropriate one's are available on prescription, I have discoid eczema and I use 'Aveeno' after showering which is wheat based, and 'Dermol' which is also a soap alternative, I use this whenever my skin is dry during the day.

Forget about 'miracle' and fashion mag ad's they usually cost far more and less effective.

Ross.Walker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
sprouts, evil things
I get horribly itchy feet, not on any meds now and hba1c is at 37. I cannot track any time line from eating to massive itch or common foods, the itching only started when I came off meds. I suspect this is all coincidental and it's an external factor which is the cause.

I use lush massage bars post shower and they manage the problem quite nicely

DavyPaul

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
negative moaning people.
There are a few people who find itchiness to be a side effect of Metformin. If you take Met then it may be worth speaking to your nurse or GP about your skin.
explains a lot. I'm on metformin AND have psoriasis! [scratch]