Diabetic eye screening confusion

SB.25

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all,

Today I finally had my diabetic eye screening. I had to keep pushing it back due to it conflicting with diabetes consultant appointments and then a bout of conjunctivitis.

Anyway, I think the constant putting it off had built up as anxiety and I was extremely anxious whilst waiting for the appointment about the eye drops... I had high blood sugars all day - which I put down to the stress and anxiety.

Once I got in the room the nurse who saw me told me that she wasn’t going to use the eye drops as my pupils are large anyway and that because I’m young (26) she didn’t feel they were necessary and said that for a few more years I may not need the drops....

I have never heard of this before and wondered if anyone else had experienced this?

Thanks! :)

sammymore

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi all,

Today I finally had my diabetic eye screening. I had to keep pushing it back due to it conflicting with diabetes consultant appointments and then a bout of conjunctivitis.

Anyway, I think the constant putting it off had built up as anxiety and I was extremely anxious whilst waiting for the appointment about the eye drops... I had high blood sugars all day - which I put down to the stress and anxiety.

Once I got in the room the nurse who saw me told me that she wasn’t going to use the eye drops as my pupils are large anyway and that because I’m young (26) she didn’t feel they were necessary and said that for a few more years I may not need the drops....

I have never heard of this before and wondered if anyone else had experienced this?

Hi all,

Hi all,

yes ihave heard of people 40years or younger not needing drops

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry to read you had all that stress for nothing in the end.
I is 61 and a bit and not had drops yet... I drive there, which is a bit of a no no.. but the boy has said the same to me, no need, easy to see what's required.
Hope the results are good.

SB.25

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry to read you had all that stress for nothing in the end.
I is 61 and a bit and not had drops yet... I drive there, which is a bit of a no no.. but the boy has said the same to me, no need, easy to see what's required.
Hope the results are good.
Thanks!

My mum is diabetic and has always had to have drops so I was confused when The nurse said I didn’t need them.... but I know I have big eyes anyway!

The lady who done the test said they look ok so I’m hoping that it will be good news :)

Reactions: hankjam

Dark Horse

Whereabouts are you based? There are some differences in the screening programmes of the different countries that make up the UK. In England, everyone should have dilating drops (unless genuinely allergic to them). In Scotland, people with large pupils (usually younger people) may have photos taken without them.

db89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My first test I also didn't need the drops either - they've just plonked them in both times since! Lucky if we get to not have them in my opinion having had the test done with and without drops.

Smallbrit

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Whereabouts are you based? There are some differences in the screening programmes of the different countries that make up the UK. In England, everyone should have dilating drops (unless genuinely allergic to them). In Scotland, people with large pupils (usually younger people) may have photos taken without them.

To add Wales' point of view, I've not had drops the two times I've been tested, because the person said I didn't need to have them...

Reactions: hankjam

SB.25

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin

I’m based in London.

I just had got myself in such a state over having the drops which I know seems so silly given that I inject insulin at least 4 times a day :banghead:.

I guess I should have just counted myself lucky this time not having them :). Let’s hope the results come back OK ....

Conrad74

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I’m 44 and sometimes they use the drops and sometimes they don’t. The drops aren’t as bad as some people think. Worst thing about them is the light sensitivity afterwards for a few hours.

Jay-Marc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
One thing that can help reduce the general stinging which isn't always done by the person administering drops is to mop up the excess with a tissue rather than the residual remaining on the eyelashes.

Energize

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Last year I didn't have drops as my pupils were, apparently, well dilated. This year, however, the person doing the screening wasn't interested in last year and put the drops in anyway. I just felt she was a bit of a 'jobs worth', to be honest. ;)
It takes all sorts, eh?