Type 2 Can large portion of meat/protein raise blood sugar?

resander

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Experimenting trying to get daily carbs down from 70-110g to below 50g...

Yesterday's meals
BREAKFAST
2 Hi-Lo bread slices carb 10 protein 16
cooked ham carb 0 protein 7
cheese slice Gouda carb 0 protein 6
MORNING SNACK
100g greek yogurt carb 5 protein 4
50g strawberries carb 3 protein 0
LUNCH omelette
bockwurst sausage carb 2 protein 12
3 eggs carb 0 protein 19
50g (small) onion carb 4 protein 0.5 (from usda database)
DINNER
120g new potatoes carb 18 protein 2
2 tbsp mayonnaise carb 4 protein 0
250g boiled chicken meat carb 1 protein 75 Blood Sugar 8.2mmol/L

Day score: carb 47g protein 130g

Usually I have this meal with 120g boiled chicken meat and 1 tbsp mayonnaise and then my blood sugar for dinner is 7.0-7.4, so I expected the same value this time too. But it was 8.2. Thinking back, I have had similar unexpected higher blood sugars 4-5 times during the last 18 months when including a large amount of meat in a meal. Is the cause too much protein?

Comments welcome.

Reactions: jpscloud

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Experimenting trying to get daily carbs down from 70-110g to below 50g...

Yesterday's meals
BREAKFAST
2 Hi-Lo bread slices carb 10 protein 16
cooked ham carb 0 protein 7
cheese slice Gouda carb 0 protein 6
MORNING SNACK
100g greek yogurt carb 5 protein 4
50g strawberries carb 3 protein 0
LUNCH omelette
bockwurst sausage carb 2 protein 12
3 eggs carb 0 protein 19
50g (small) onion carb 4 protein 0.5 (from usda database)
DINNER
120g new potatoes carb 18 protein 2
2 tbsp mayonnaise carb 4 protein 0
250g boiled chicken meat carb 1 protein 75 Blood Sugar 8.2mmol/L

Day score: carb 47g protein 130g

Usually I have this meal with 120g boiled chicken meat and 1 tbsp mayonnaise and then my blood sugar for dinner is 7.0-7.4, so I expected the same value this time too. But it was 8.2. Thinking back, I have had similar unexpected higher blood sugars 4-5 times during the last 18 months when including a large amount of meat in a meal. Is the cause too much protein?

Comments welcome.
Personally I'd say its far more likely to be the carb load over the day with the potatoes at the end as a final coup de grace..
Have you tried a day where you try to ditch as many of the carbs as possible?
Maybe skip breakfast completely have a coffee with some cream
Skip the morning snack
Lunch have a 4 egg omelette with ham and mushrooms
Dinner have 3 roasted chicken thighs with some bacon.
See what that does to your blood sugars..
What was your blood before dinner is the other important question?

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
The doubt it would be the protein, but I think the carb content is your big suspect.

Reactions: 1spuds

lessci

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
personally I'd ditch the bread and potatoes 1st, but I am very insulin resistant and high protein meals do affect my BG, I have to eat low carb, medium protein and higher fat. I'd quite happily go carnivore, but my BG's don't like it

Reactions: 1spuds

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If and when protein affects BS levels, it is not normally remotely significant for many hours because of the way it digests. It is far more likely to affect matters 24 hours or so later, normally the fasting numbers, if at all. It doesn't affect everyone. I am one of those. What it is unlikely to do is cause a post meal spike after eating it.

M

Member496333

In my own personal experience excess protein would mostly manifest the following day in slightly raised fasting glucose, but I notice this to a far lesser degree now that my insulin sensitivity has improved. It’s worth noting that in the absence of dietary carbohydrate and adequate fat (dietary or stored), your body has no choice but to begin deconstruction of amino acids into glucose. With this in mind it’s optimal to ensure you’re getting plenty of dietary fat to offset the lost carbohydrate. If you’re very well adapted to burning ketones then dietary fat won’t be so important, as your body will oxidise that which is stored.

It’s all sliding scales really, and protein very much divides opinion. It can and does affect glucose, but by how much depends greatly on many factors. Mostly insulin resistance and the level of fat that accompanied the protein. Nature packages fat and protein together.

In my own view, protein should ideally be used primarily for cell repair and maintenance, with the body’s fuel source being ketone bodies and a nominal level of endogenous glucose.

Spl@

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Humans that only take.
Potatoes and boiled chicken for dinner.

Yuk. Is that choice or necessity?

Chop the chicken, pan fry in butter add in some chopped mushrooms and some chopped leek, bit of garlic or chili to taste.
A couple of spring onions finely copped and some parmisan as a topping.

Nowhere near the carbs and full of flavour.

resander

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My lunch has been one of (for the last 20 months):

- 2 quarter pounders (ICELAND,ALDI) carb 0
- 2 poached/fried eggs carb 0 SUM carb 0
OR
- sausage(s)/ham/bacon carb 2 or less
- 2 poached/fried eggs carb 0 SUM carb 2 or less
OR
- sausage/ham/bitter-melon/etc 3-egg Omelette carb 2 or less

The blood sugar values 2 hours after lunch have been in the range 6.3-7.1.

My dinner is usually between 6-8pm and never before 6pm.
Blood sugar values before dinner: 6.3-6.8

The lunch and pre-dinner blood sugar values have been stable, so I do not measure these daily any more. Only if I try something new for lunch, which would not be very often.

Breakfast is usually 2 Hi-Lo bread slices with ham, bacon eggs, liver-pate, cheese and sardines. Carb max 12grams.
OR
Small (25gram) Scottish Oats porridge. Carb 15-18grams.

Dinner is meat or fish+vegetable+120g new potatoes. Old potatoes, chips, potato mash and white rice send my blood sugars sky-high, so not including these.

I realise I do not know enough about the interplay of carbs, protein, insulin resistance etc, SO have ordered The Diabetes Code by Jason Fung from amazon.com. Looking forward to reading that...