Insulin 'sucked back' into tubing?

Colin of Kent

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've been using 110-cm tubing for a while now, as it gives me more flexibility - I don't have to disconnect every time I drop my trousers, for example.

The other day, when reconnecting after a shower, I noticed that the insulin at the cannula end had 'retreated' back into the tube a little - about 0.8 units' worth. So now when I've had a shower or whatever, I have to re-prime that little bit.

Has anyone else observed this phenomenon?

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
When I got my 640G 4 years ago, this started happening to me. When I contacted Medtronic I was asked if the pump was in the same room while I was in the shower. When I said it was, I was told it would be the rise in temperature that caused the suck back. I pointed out that I had done the same thing with my previous Medtronic pump and there was no suck back. I was told I must have been lucky, and to try leaving my 640G in another room while in the shower. I did this but it made no difference.

I needed a replacement pump for a different reason and have not had problems with suck back since. Try phoning your pump supplier as it could now be a recognised fault.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I'd agree with @dancer - contact the pump company. That's something that just shouldn't be happening at normal atmospheric pressure.