Is Libre available 'over the counter'?

BeccyB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hello wonderful people, can anyone tell me if I can just walk into a pharmacy and buy a Freestyle Libre?

I use the Dexcom G6 but had a couple of failures last night (I was doing something wrong that I didn't know about!) and cannot get delivery of more sensors until sometime on Monday. I feel totally lost today without knowing how my levels are and thought maybe I could get a libre as a stop-gap. Will still miss the reassurance of the alarms but would at least be able to check were I am more easily while I'm enjoying my weekend

D

Deleted Account

Yes but not all pharmacies.
Last time I checked, Asda pharmacy (not the main store) was the cheapest.
They did not have them on the shelf - you have to preorder and they usually arrive within 2 days.

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yes but not all pharmacies.
Last time I checked, Asda pharmacy (not the main store) was the cheapest.
They did not have them on the shelf - you have to preorder and they usually arrive within 2 days.
I know my local Adsa pharmacy generally has them in stock - only once in the last year they haven't had any in when I've gone in, but it probably is very dependent on the exact pharmacy.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @BeccyB ,

If ASDA don't have them in stock? You can pre order? My local superstore pharmacy reckon it can take a couple of days.
Though, if it's a single purchase? They do let me have one there & then.. ;)

Fill out the VAT exempt form, which is quick.& yer good to go!

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
and thought maybe I could get a libre as a stop-gap.

I doubt that the pharmacies will have the readers in stock. Have you got a reader already? If not, I believe there may be software which will allow your phone to activate the device, but you should check that out first....
Also, it tends not to be very accurate for the first 24 hours so at the very least you'll need to do blood tests to check whether its readings are in range for you. (It may work fine, but don't count on it.)

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I doubt that the pharmacies will have the readers in stock. Have you got a reader already? If not, I believe there may be software which will allow your phone to activate the device, but you should check that out first....
Also, it tends not to be very accurate for the first 24 hours so at the very least you'll need to do blood tests to check whether its readings are in range for you. (It may work fine, but don't count on it.)
Hi,
You shouldn't need a scanner/reader to activate & use the Libre sensor.. The librelink app on a compatible device (phone.) will do the job!

I don't posses a Libre scanner.

@BeccyB , there is a list of compatible phones with the Glimp reader app, too... I'm happy to look this up, if you come back with the make & model of your smart phone?

evilclive

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The important bit with the phone is "Does it have NFC". If not, you'll need a reader.

Reactions: EllieM