Can anyone help shed some light on what's happening please!l?

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sure.

Ruthless elimination of all carbohydrate besides overground vegetables. Sensible protein intake. No sugar, no grains, no seed oils. No snacking. No ready meals. Plenty of intermittent fasting. Never using my meter to enable justification of anything (no eating to the meter). Walking. Resistance training.

I guess it took around a year of this to reach the stage where I’m totally happy, although much of that time was spent experimenting. I’m certain that all of that will seem obsessive to some, but I don’t care...it’s what I decided to do and it worked for me.
Where did dairy fit? As far as I can see you have just meat/fish and above ground veg otherwise, plus I assume herbs and spices

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If it is any help, once I began to get below 8mmol/l my metabolism really did seem to change and my numbers went on down even though I kept to the regime I had hit on.
I have had people tell me how well I have done as it must be an extreme diet and hard to stick to - and I blink and shake my head. Personally I feel a bit embarrassed that it has been so easy to do. Maybe I should be trying a lot harder - but then - what would it have done?
OK - maybe I'd be a lot thinner by now, and really have nothing to wear - not be fretting because I have regained a couple of Kg, but I noticed that the scales are beginning to drop just a little now - too many nuts and too much cheese I suspect. Easily done, easily stopped.
I do have the advantage of a BSc degree and a near genius level IQ - though the sense of humour is far more likely to advance my career these days.
Of all the advice given, the concept of checking how things affect you is the one to go with. If you consistently go high due to one thing, it will add up - pick out what it is and do something about it - problem solved, on to the next one.

Reactions: DawnOfTheZed
M

Member496333

Where did dairy fit? As far as I can see you have just meat/fish and above ground veg otherwise, plus I assume herbs and spices

I eat dairy too. Cream and cheese. Plus eggs, lots of eggs. I try not to put a label on my diet, as it’s a kind of ketogenic dairy paleo mashup :D

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sure.

Ruthless elimination of all carbohydrate besides overground vegetables. Sensible protein intake. No sugar, no grains, no seed oils. No snacking. No ready meals. Plenty of intermittent fasting. Never using my meter to enable justification of anything (no eating to the meter). Walking. Resistance training.

I guess it took around a year of this to reach the stage where I’m totally happy, although much of that time was spent experimenting. I’m certain that all of that will seem obsessive to some, but I don’t care...it’s what I decided to do and it worked for me.

Thanks @Jim Lahey. It sounds what I’m doing but sometimes I do snack but recently a bit off track and readings much higher. I normally have a blip from time to time but this has been since I did a 40hr fast. But frustrated. I think I need to be stricter and lower carbs to well under my current 20g.

pixie1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
That's interesting and tbh I thought that would be the case. My mum follows NHS guidelines too pretty much, shes been told she needs carbs but over the years (been a diabetic for about 30 years) it's got worse and as just needed more and more meds and now insulin too. I am trying to educate her with lchf but have to be careful cos of the meds she's on

I attended UKdiabetes group at my local hospital, they all follow the guidelines. They did not support my hf/LC lifestyle and did not except the improvements on BG and HBA1c. They were very happily to continue even though their conditions progressed and deteriated to increased meds as well loss of sight due to retinopathy.
They all listen and agree with the leading diabetic consultant for the diabetic ward for the hospital. I was only person to disagree with him. He could mot answer my questions properly defaulting to the same old, same old.
People in the group asked if I learnt anything new. Obviously not.
It's sad as the area I live in has the highest rate of amputations amongst diabetics.

Reactions: Starfish18

Starfish18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
:cyclops:
I attended UKdiabetes group at my local hospital, they all follow the guidelines. They did not support my hf/LC lifestyle and did not except the improvements on BG and HBA1c. They were very happily to continue even though their conditions progressed and deteriated to increased meds as well loss of sight due to retinopathy.
They all listen and agree with the leading diabetic consultant for the diabetic ward for the hospital. I was only person to disagree with him. He could mot answer my questions properly defaulting to the same old, same old.
People in the group asked if I learnt anything new. Obviously not.
It's sad as the area I live in has the highest rate of amputations amongst diabetics.
I was asked to go on the Desmond course but I refused to go on it as I felt it would be just as you described The nurse that gave me my diagnosis said I only had to cut out sugar, no mention of carbs whatsoever. I'd already joined this site and was learning about LCHF so really didn't see the point of the course. A friend of mine went on the Desmond course and she was told she had to eat carbs for energy just cut down the amount she has she doesn't see the importance in testing either.we have such different ways of eating She counts cals more than carbs She'll quite happily polish off a full pizza that only has 500 cals. Makes me cringe! What about the carbs? What's its doing to your blood? She obviously doesn't know!

pixie1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I only went to a few of those meetings. I went again The following year to see if low carbing ebeterd main stream, nope, I mentioned Dr Unwin. They never heard of him.

I suffered from DP on initial diagnoses, it was very frustrating,it sorted itself out eventually on low carb.

Reactions: Starfish18

Starfish18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I only went to a few of those meetings. I went again The following year to see if low carbing ebeterd main stream, nope, I mentioned Dr Unwin. They never heard of him.

I suffered from DP on initial diagnoses, it was very frustrating,it sorted itself out eventually on low carb.
I get DP too some days Its frustrating.
Hopefully one day lchf will catch on

Reactions: pixie1

KTNIC

May have already posted this, but. Poached eggs breakfast. Chicken avocado cottage cheese salad lunch. Feeling sleepy and wobbly. 7.8. Not usual . Quick remedy? Oh and asked 3 miles this morning

Reactions: Chook