Fewer hypo's for elderly type 2 with JANUVIA

Erin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
mean people, corrupt politicians, poverty, happy pharmaceutical ads;
https://investors.merck.com/news/pr...for-TECOS-Study-with-Sitagliptin/default.aspx

There are many letters to Merck Canada from FDA regarding the serious side effects
of JANUVIA. Why some can tolerate this drug and others, not, I don't know.

I had to stop as not one day could be functional due to headaches and constant sleep.
Paradoxically my bs numbers increased rather than decreased or stayed the same high numbers.

Because my blood sugar continues to rise year after year, my next option will be insulin.
I received some optimistic tips from my dr. and nurse.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2012-06/gh-psa060712.php
Merck announced results of a post-hoc pooled analysis in which patients with type 2 diabetes age 65 or older treated with JANUVIA® (sitagliptin) 100 mg/day achieved similar blood sugar reductions as those treated with a sulfonylurea, with significantly less hypoglycemia (low blood sugar).

The reason for the good results of the drug is because a Gliptin increases the insulin response to a diabetic who has a weak response because of insulin resistance and high levels of circulating insulin.
However as with most medication, it has side effects. Some can tolerate the drug, some can't!
I have been taking sitagliptin for four years without side effects! (None that I know of!)

RobsterUK

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
GP's not taking any real notice in my symptoms & losing drastic amounts of weight
Januvia only gives me Hypos without any warning. I’m on Metformin & Gliclazide, I had to stop taking Januvia after 10 days as nearly ended up unconscious. I’m only 44 T2 but awaiting correct diagnosis of Lada / T1.5