Travel cool bag for insulin pens

Sugar High

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Can anyone recommend a good way to take insulin pens that must be kept refrigerated on a trip?

About a month ago, my doctor started me on insulin. I am using the Humulin N KwikPen from Lilly, 3 mL/pen at 100 units/mL, so 300 units in each pen. I currently take 26 units per day -- 11 in the morning and 15 at night -- so that's about 11.5 days/pen. Actually, I have been instructed to "prime" the pen before each use by dispensing 2 units into the air. So that's actually 30 units per day or 10 days/pen.

I recently went on a trip for a week. I thought there was enough insulin in the pen I was using to last the week, but I ran out on the last day. So, in the future, I guess I should take a second full pen, just in case. The problem is refrigeration. I was told that once a pen is taken out of the frig, the insulin is only good for 14 days. I asked if I can take an extra pen with me in my suitcase or carry-on bag and put right in the frig as soon as I arrive at my destination. That would be anywhere from 3-4 hours to as much as 7-8. I was told that I should get a travel cool bag. I found this a little odd. When I picked up my first box of pens from the pharmacy, they weren't in a cool bag, I don't recall them feeling cold, and I wasn't told anything about getting them right home and into the frig.

So, two questions:
  1. Is it really necessary to keep those pens refrigerated every minute? Would it hurt them to be at room temp for a few hours?
  2. Can anyone recommend a good cool bag? I checked online. Most of them are more like picnic coolers -- way too big. I was hoping for something very small, maybe just large enough for 2-3 pens.
Thanks

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Have a look at Frio bags. Not sure if they work for disposable pens but the website should say.

Reactions: Dodo and Sugar High

MS6502

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
IMG_0039.jpg

I have one of these from amazon. I can get 10 M3 pens and 4 truelycity pens in it. Also comes with 2 ice packs

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I don’t take insulin but I’ve read that it’s actually too cold for insulin in the hold so it should all be kept in your hand luggage.

K

Knikki

You have a look at Frio Bags https://friouk.com as many on here use them for traveling, think you might be able to get them from Amazon but not sure.

Insulin should really be keep at fridge temp when being stored, i.e. not in use or in a pen, but different insulins have different tolerances. When I have traveled in the past I have not used a refrigerated bag just go t o the destination and stuck them in the fridge in the room.

I use Apidrea (short acting) and Tresiba (long acting) the Apidrea sits in either my bag at work or in my pocket when I go out the Treisba sits on the table at home.

Choice is yours if you decide to keep them in the fridge all the time, but I think others might not agree with me.

Oh as a rule when traveling with anything insulin related, you take what you need plus spares and then more spares.

OH and another rule NEVER, NEVER, NEVER stick insulin or other diabetic kit in the hold of an aircraft always in hand luggage and in a see through plastic bag when going through security/customs.

MS6502

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Frio bags come in various size. The inner part is immersed in water. The evaporation of the water creates the cooling effect for the insulin. Works both for vials and pens.
Your diabetic medication should never been put in the aircrafts baggage hold, but should be in your hand luggage.

Sugar High

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Have a look at Frio bags. Not sure if they work for disposable pens but the website should say.
Thanks.

Frio says that its bags keep the contents at ~78° for two days. But 78° doesn't sound all that cool. Is it cool enough? My frig is more like 36°. How cold do these pens need to be kept? My doc told me to keep them in the frig.

D

Deleted Account

Thanks.

Frio says that its bags keep the contents at ~78° for two days. But 78° doesn't sound all that cool. Is it cool enough? My frig is more like 36°. How cold do these pens need to be kept? My doc told me to keep them in the frig.
I have used Frio bags for trips of more than 2 weeks on camping trips with no sign of a fridge, bottled water, electricity, ...
Whilst each soaking can last for 2 days, you can reload every day and keep it cool.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

Insulin can last upto 28 days outside the fridge. As long as the temperature isn't in excess of 20/25 degrees C, it shouldn't spoil.?
(Someone feel free to correct if I'm wrong.)
The Frio wallet as mentioned is ideal for traveling in hotter climates. But allow the container to breath, carrying it in an open top bag or more preferably a bag with a mesh pocket..

Reactions: Dodo and Sugar High

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Humulin should keep for 28 days at room temperature (max. 28 degrees Celsius). A Frio bag is very useful if you expect warmer temperatures. Not only in hot climates but warm cars while shopping as well!

Reactions: Jaylee

Sugar High

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Insulin can last up to 28 days outside the fridge. As long as the temperature isn't in excess of 20/25 degrees C, it shouldn't spoil.?
(Someone feel free to correct if I'm wrong.)
That's 68-77F (I forgot this is a UK site). The Frio claims 78F/26C.

The Frio wallet as mentioned is ideal for traveling in hotter climates. But allow the container to breath, carrying it in an open top bag or more preferably a bag with a mesh pocket..
So if I am traveling where it won't get above 75F/26C, do I even need a cool bag?

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
So if I am traveling where it won't get above 75F/26C, do I even need a cool bag?
Not if you're certain you won't ever leave your insulin in the sun or in a car...
So get a Frio bag, not only for traveling but for summer at home as well. Unless you live in Greenland or such.

Reactions: Dodo

Sugar High

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Not if you're certain you won't ever leave your insulin in the sun or in a car...
I rarely travel by car more than an hour or two and, being Scandinavian, I usually have the A/C on fairly high. :cool:
So get a Frio bag, not only for traveling but for summer at home as well. Unless you live in Greenland or such.
I'm not asking if the Frio bag is necessary, but if it is enough. 78F is a lot warmer than inside my frig, which is where I was told to keep the unused pens.

But you're right. It would be a good idea to have a Frio bag on hand.

Cheers

Sugar High

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
I did a little checking on the Frio bags. Then I sent an email to the company with a few questions. I got a very detailed response later that same day. I was so impressed with this quick and informative response, that I saved it as a PDF and have attached it here.

I'd be interested in any comments anyone has, positive or negative.

Attachments

• Frio 20190321 Detailed reply regarding cool packs for insulin.pdf
    50.1 KB · Views: 159

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I did a little checking on the Frio bags. Then I sent an email to the company with a few questions. I got a very detailed response later that same day. I was so impressed with this quick and informative response, that I saved it as a PDF and have attached it here.

Hi,

Looks like a good reply from the company..

Here is a video explaining how the Frio works.. Oddly, the one in the demonstration looks like the size of wallet you maybe looking for.?

Hope this helps with your decision..

Sugar High

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Hi,

Looks like a good reply from the company.
Yes, I was quite impressed with the responsiveness.

Here is a video explaining how the Frio works.. Oddly, the one in the demonstration looks like the size of wallet you maybe looking for.?

Hope this helps with your decision.
Yes, thanks. I saw that video on their website and on Amazon.

Reactions: Jaylee

Sugar High

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
I have been doing more research into travel cool bags (not cool travel bags ;)). I have come to the conclusion that for my needs, one of the ice pack bags will be a better choice. The Frio bags have these advantages:
  • The cooling lasts up to 48 hours.
  • They require no electricity or anything other than water.
  • They are small, light, and compact.
But they have these disadvantages
  • They only cool to 78F.
  • They really need to have access to air, since they work by evaporation. This means packing them in a suitcase may not work so well.
  • They have a soft case, so they offer very little protection to the insulin pens from damage.
  • There are quite a few reports by Amazon users that they leak gel, that they get the pens gooey, and that when wet, they swell up and are difficult to get back in the case.
Here are a few of the ice-pack type cool bags:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07GNDSNJY/
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07KFZ8NLK/
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DHGP98X/
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01E3MS782/

I don't go camping and will never need to keep the insulin cold for more than 7-8 hours at most. These bags can go in the suitcase and they keep the insulin much colder. Plus they offer more protection from damage.

I think Frio is a very good company and their product sounds like it works well for what it does. It's just that most of its benefits do not meet my needs.

Anyway, I hope this information is helpful. Thanks to everyone for your help to this newbie. o_O

Reactions: Antje77

Dodo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

I’ve been using Frio wallets for some years travelling all around the world and find them invaluable. They have kept my insulin extremely cold and so easy to simply re-soak anywhere. I also put my husband’s eye drops in the wallet as these also need to be kept refrigerated.