Struggling Diabetic

Ammckay23

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Everyone,
My names Amber, I was diagnosed when I was 20 (2 years ago, almost 3).
At first I checked my sugars regularly, did everything I was suppose to be doing. Recently, I’ve been struggling with keeping my numbers down. I don’t like the feeling of going low, so I have been running my number high, and not giving myself insulin. I know the risks I’m putting myself towards, but I just can’t get a handle on it.
I have a hard time following a low carb, low sugar diet. I have always had a sweet tooth, and I love my high carby foods (pasta, potatoes).

I got my lab results back recently,
My A1C was 11.1
My albumin/createnine was 20.8 mmol/L
My createnine (urine) was 22.6 mg/mmol
I don’t even know what this really means, I know a bit but, how high is too high for these numbers.

I really need to get back on track with my health,
any advice or things that you found helpful?

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Ammckay23 . Welcome to the forum.
Thanks for the tag @Daphne917 .
I’m just off out for a full English breakfast at the moment but I will hopefully get back to you later.
You’ve come to a great place for help, advice and friendship.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hi Everyone,
At first I checked my sugars regularly, did everything I was suppose to be doing. Recently, I’ve been struggling with keeping my numbers down. I don’t like the feeling of going low, so I have been running my number high, and not giving myself insulin. I know the risks I’m putting myself towards, but I just can’t get a handle on it.
I have a hard time following a low carb, low sugar diet. I have always had a sweet tooth, and I love my high carby foods (pasta, potatoes).

My A1C was 11.1
I don’t even know what this really means, I know a bit but, how high is too high for these numbers.

Hi Amber and welcome, we are in a club that no one wants to join. You were diagnosed when you were a young woman and type 1 diabetes takes it's toll on many of us at sometime.
We can eat carbs and take Insulin for the amount of carbs, if you want you can have just a small amount also carbs come in many different shapes and forms. I had mushroom risotto last night and then a yogurt, so I took 3/4 of Insulin before meal, then the rest during meal and I awoke on a 4.7, which was fantastic for me. You know the risks so you do need to take your Insulin. Lows can be scary, hypo's happen so being aware of having a hypo and treating it makes you the one in charge, in control.
Please don't beat yourself up, you are only human, but you must take care of yourself. Just take little steps and make sure you give yourself a treat, a pat on the back now and again. Diabetes is a long haul and we can live life to the fullest, but I know how difficult that can be sometimes. Don't let diabetes overwhelm you or burden you, take control as diabetes is just a small part of who you are. You also need get in touch with your diabetes team for help and support, believe me, you are not alone, so don't be embarrassed or ashamed.
Writing a diary could help you, to get it out of your system.
Keep posting @Ammckay23 and ask any questions, someone is normally around to help out.
Take care x

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
Ask your diabetes team if they can put your name forward for a DAFNE course. That will teach you how to match carbs with insulin so that you can eat "normally" without putting weight on (unless you go eating more food than your body needs each day, but then everyone is in that boat). The initials stand for Dose Adjustment For Normal Eating. If the team tell you it's all booked up and it will be ages for before you get a place then get hold of "Think Like a Pancreas" a book by Gary Scheiner and that will help you a lot too. It's very easy to read, and he really understands the problems of a T1.

This place can be of enormous help if you let it - everyone here deals with diabetes on a daily basis and we all face our own struggles, but together we help each other deal with them.

@Robinredbreast is right - we can eat some carbs if we take our insulin. Last night was treat night in our house and I had takeaway chips, with spicy beanburger (no bun, 'cos chips), home-made coleslaw and salad. There was icecream for dessert (I'm vegan but that's by-the-by, there are carbs in vegan ice-cream too - I had a vegan Magnum). The point is, I dose adjusted for the food so that I could join in with the rest of the family.

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Amber! I am a vegan, type 1 and basically eat what I want. I eat potatoes, pasta and pizza (vegan) I eat about 120 carbs a day, I do not try to low carb it, but I just don't eat a lot as I'm retired now. Low carb is popular because it's an easy way to control your sugars, plus then obviously dosing is easier as you are not eating as many carbs. If you can't cope with dosing then low carb, means less dosing and trying to figure that out. I just do not choose to control my sugars that route.

Because I have dawn phenomenon I don't eat or I only eat something low carb in the morning because otherwise it's just too hard to control my sugars in the am, Most of the time I stay in a max area of about 45 carbs per my one larger meal, So if I am having a potato, I usually won't have another high carb item with it. Pasta 1-2 cups. with lots of veggies. My pizza is about 15 carbs per slice, so I will have 3-4 slices. If you want a cookie, you can have a cookie, dose for it and try not to have more than one and have it when your sugars are in control. In other words if you have a BG level of 160, no cookie, but if your BG level is 100 that would be the time to have a cookie and dose for it. You will have to control your sweet tooth, there's just no getting around it. But you can have some, just limit it! If you are running with a high BG, it's best not to have anything high carb to add on to that.

I dose for my carbs and I try to prebolus so I don't go over 160. I can usually even keep it to under 140 after a meal with a prebolus. That takes a little bit of experience though. I don't like to be under 90 and I used to not like even being under 100.
I really like OJ, so if I find myself going lower than I want I always have a bottle in the refrig to drink a small amount to boost my BG higher. It works fairly fast. I also carry Crystallized Ginger with me if I ever need a quick sugar fix while I'm out and about. I think we all have our favorite go to for that. An insulin pump and a CGM really help. A CGM lets you keep a constant read of what your sugars are at.

My A1C is 6.4, The trick is adjusting for what you eat. Keep active and that will help,

But you need to take control of your disease, High blood sugars can really cause a huge problem, besides hospitalization, it can and will damage your eyes, kidneys etc. You already know that. Today is a new day. Just dig in and start!!!!

And you can't skip insulin, your body, and it sucks, can not handle carbs without insulin. It can't even handle what your liver likes to generate. It just can't no matter how much you want it to, you are only hurting yourself when you try to deny that.

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
Yeah, normally I try to stay at around 100-150g, and tend to eat a mainly plant based diet but my last night's food didn't result in a high reading and I ate what I would call junk food. It's a rarity but my son and his partner are hard-up and a takeaway is a huge treat for them. She's veggie, he's flexi but had meat last night.

Like Marie, I'm older - 62 now - and diabetes hasn't adversely affected my health yet. I have a few medical problems but I've lived with them since I was a small child so no biggie now.

Go and see your diabetes team - they are well used to people coming along and asking for help in gaining better control, they won't judge you or be unkind, they'll just do their best to help you.

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Ammckay23 . Some great advice above especially about carbs.
I can fully understand the need to avoid going low and the feelings that can create. Trouble is, as you are aware, running high is going to be far more destructive long term.
Personally I find control to be more about happiness and confidence than the numbers game. Granted you need to calculate carbs and insulin and take BS readings but this is far easier and less stressful if you can do it with a smile.
If you like eating carbs then you should eat them, like eating without being diabetic you need to eat sensibly, don’t over eat, eat what you intend to use / burn off. Obviously lifestyle plays a big part as does our own metabolisms. I’m fairly active and find about 150/200 g carbs daily works for me. Oats, bread, potatoes, fruit are all on the menu. The challenge is administering the correct amount of insulin at the right times, something even the most experienced T1’s can get wrong occasionally.
Going low is all part of the game unfortunately but with confidence and a mental attitude that says I’m the boss, I’m the person in charge and I will not let diabetes get me down, going low should be an inconvenience and not so much a PIA.
You should be thinking about getting your HbA1C down. I think if you can find a diet that makes you happy and then most importantly take your insulin to act alongside that diet you will be on the right road.
There is a thread on the forum....Type1 stars R us...... a lot of long term T1’s with years of experience on everything diabetes and non diabetes related. Maybe worth a visit and see how the rest of us do it on a daily basis.
Ultimately I feel you need to find happiness in life, gain confidence in being diabetic and not to get over stressed when things aren’t going to plan.
Good luck.

Tidy72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Everyone,

My A1C was 11.1

Hi Amber
I too was diagnosed at age 21 with T1, I struggle from time to time, in the beginning it was really hard, I would sit sometimes for 30 minutes before I was able to inject, and I would forget to take it sometimes. I have had a bad time for the last year, I had a really bad hypo and wasn't aware of it whilst I was driving and don't remember how I drove to work, people in the street were trying to wake me up as I had collapsed on the passenger seat, I had stopped in the middle of the road with car still in gear. HbA1c is 86 at the moment (in old measurements 10), I have a fantastic diabetes nurse now who is helping me to cope with my diabetes and work out my insulin correctly so I don't get hypos anymore or only the odd one, she has completely changed my doses, and the consultant change one of my insulins, I am feeling better in myself now, but I know I used to resent my diabetes a lot, but talking with my nurse has helped greatly. Reading other people's stories and advice on here is s big help too. Don'tbeat yourself up, we all feel like that from time to time, I've been T1 for 25 years now, please talk to your diabetes team they understand your feelings and really can help you. xx

Breck Lundin

I'm t2. Like many others who have shared with you here I need to limit meals to 25g or less. Can't get near wheat flour goodies.

Several tasty things send my numbers to the moon. Wheat flours, any hint of sugar won't work for me. A few things you would assume are safe, nope not for me.

I have developed low carb batter recipe. I can quickly adjust it for pancakes/Belgian waffles, bread, coating to make fried chicken... I'm now experimenting with using cauliflower. That's true, you can buy predried and ground cauliflower. I've made pizza just using a sliced slab of cauliflower. With simple seasoning it was very satisfying and helps carb addiction...hey, carbs are yummy...

you can do this...accept then set goals/milestones to achieve. It really cam take months to stabilize your BG levels, but take slow, find ways to laugh about it and reach out when you need encouragement or just to vent.

I had to go the entire month of February this year without any insulin just 3 Victoza pens. Insurance snafu that was kinda my fault but insurance provider dragged their feet for about 3 of those weeks. End of The month my a1c ballooned to 19. Granted i was just over it and ate whatever was handy. Bad me...now im facing working at stabilizing once again.

oh, if you like stir-fry you can still enjoy it but i found if i julienne some cabbage its a fantastic replacement for noodles or rice. I even bought a real Wok, it's fun!

Keep at it... I'm new so hi ya!

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm t2. Like many others who have shared with you here I need to limit meals to 25g or less. Can't get near wheat flour goodies.

Several tasty things send my numbers to the moon. Wheat flours, any hint of sugar won't work for me. A few things you would assume are safe, nope not for me.

I have developed low carb batter recipe. I can quickly adjust it for pancakes/Belgian waffles, bread, coating to make fried chicken... I'm now experimenting with using cauliflower. That's true, you can buy predried and ground cauliflower. I've made pizza just using a sliced slab of cauliflower. With simple seasoning it was very satisfying and helps carb addiction...hey, carbs are yummy...

you can do this...accept then set goals/milestones to achieve. It really cam take months to stabilize your BG levels, but take slow, find ways to laugh about it and reach out when you need encouragement or just to vent.

I had to go the entire month of February this year without any insulin just 3 Victoza pens. Insurance snafu that was kinda my fault but insurance provider dragged their feet for about 3 of those weeks. End of The month my a1c ballooned to 19. Granted i was just over it and ate whatever was handy. Bad me...now im facing working at stabilizing once again.

oh, if you like stir-fry you can still enjoy it but i found if i julienne some cabbage its a fantastic replacement for noodles or rice. I even bought a real Wok, it's fun!

Hi Breck
Have you checked out the www.dietdoctor.com website.. huge resource of free low carb/keto recipes.. sounds like you are a good cook so you might get some more inspiration there..

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people

Hi and welcome, as you are type 2, have a look at that section for advice ( type 2 or type 2 with Insulin) or better still, start your own thread, as you will probably get a lot more answer's to your questions.
Good luck :)

Traceymac23

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Moaner

Loving the energy.....and the foodie tips

Breck Lundin

Loving the energy.....and the foodie tips
right? no matter your type is so important to learn to eat right for you. Years back i undertook to range each food i usually eat and some i don't, or never have even tried. Learned so much no chart could reveal. For instance i can't eat more than 150g carbs everyday. No mite than 25g in a single meal. That's when i turned to the stir-fry.

I'm heading to shop for the week and going to make that amazing looking cabbage dish your pointed out. It hits all my food needs and stays inside my limits.

of course i was bad last night and made BBQ pork ribs. Just the sauce on what i ate caused a spike thanks to tomato sauce, sugar in bbq sauce. But have to enjoy something now and then.

I have a couple recipes I've cone across to share when i am in for the day...

Reactions: Traceymac23

Traceymac23

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Moaner
right? no matter your type is so important to learn to eat right for you. Years back i undertook to range each food i usually eat and some i don't, or never have even tried. Learned so much no chart could reveal. For instance i can't eat more than 150g carbs everyday. No mite than 25g in a single meal. That's when i turned to the stir-fry.

I'm heading to shop for the week and going to make that amazing looking cabbage dish your pointed out. It hits all my food needs and stays inside my limits.

of course i was bad last night and made BBQ pork ribs. Just the sauce on what i ate caused a spike thanks to tomato sauce, sugar in bbq sauce. But have to enjoy something now and then.

I have a couple recipes I've cone across to share when i am in for the day...

nice.....i'll keep an eye out for them

Reactions: Breck Lundin