Type 2 Neuropathy healing?

Caeseji

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self-fellating idiots that don't at all look at other people's views
Wanted to pick the brains of anyone that has recovered from numbness neuropathy but my little toe on my left foot had lost quite a bit of sensation and lately it has been coming back a lot but sometimes it flares up with pain for nearly no reason, is that usual?

Dan Lockwood

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Diabetes
Caeseji,

A few years ago I started to have what felt like my sock had a fold in it just behind the ball of my right foot bottom. I checked that night and my foot felt just fine by touch, but it was tender under the skin. No bumps etc. After some time I finally put two and two together and figured out that I had neuropathy in that foot.

Then a couple years later, last May, my left foot started to act up at home when we got new plush carpeting. With the added cushion my foot was getting pressured in the arch and that started to hurt. When walking barefoot on hard surfaces, not issues. So I guess I have neuropathy in my left foot as well. It seems to be worse than my right.

BUT... I will say that now that I've been going through my Wellness Connection program, I "think" my feet are feeling better. Walking around the house barefoot is not a problem with hurting now, but I can still tell that it's sensitive to touch, just no pain at this point. My right foot issue has almost disappeared... :)

So I cannot say with certainty that nerves will repair themselves, but since I've been doing better glucose wise, my issues have diminished quite a bit.

That's all I have for you. I know that everyone is different, but in my case it does seem to be repairing itself, at least a little.

Good luck and hang in there!

Hope you enjoy the first spring weekend of 2019!

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I started to get early signs. For sure. A kind of gentle tingling numbness in the toes accompanied by a darkening of colour of the skin and flaky skin etc, and fungally infected toenails, all at the same time. But all that seems to have gone into reverse, except my toenails are still all distorted with fungal infection still. I am going to try and work on those next.

I believe @Jim Lahey had severe pain once he had purged his body of glucose.

Last edited:
Reactions: ickihun and Caeseji
M

Member496333

I believe @Jim Lahey had severe pain once he had purged his body of glucose.

Indeed. I had numbness on diagnosis that developed into severe pain as the feeling came back. Only full paleo-style ketogenic eating fixed it. Lowered blood glucose alone seemed to be making it worse so long as I was still consuming carbs and seed oils. Obviously it’s difficult to say if I would have turned a corner anyway, but I don’t think so. It felt to me very much like it was a whole food diet devoid of inflammatory oils that fixed it, rather than blood glucose per se.

Actually, more to the point, it was only when I realised that eating to the meter was only telling me what was in my blood. The real fix for the neuropathy came about after reading The Diabetes Code and understanding the concept of glucotoxicity in the entire body...including the nerves...the diet fixed that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1spuds and Caeseji

Caeseji

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self-fellating idiots that don't at all look at other people's views
Obviously it’s difficult to say if I would have turned a corner anyway, but I don’t think so. It felt to me very much like it was a whole food diet devoid of inflammatory oils that fixed it, rather than blood glucose per se.

It does make me wonder if this is the same thing for me right now, the pain comes and goes but each day I seem to be getting a bit more of the feeling back in it. My diet and fasting dramatically shifted lately so hopefully it's the more optimistic side of things that I am resolving the issues rather than making them worse. Thanks for the insight though Jim, @Listlad and @Dan Lockwood I'm gonna keep on soldiering on, especially with so many markers improving lately. Thanks as well for the well wishes there Dan, hope you enjoy the week too!

Reactions: ickihun

Caprock94

The pain in my feet started 6 weeks AFTER I was diagnosed and quickly lowered by blood sugar levels. Still have it 6 months later, although it varies in severity.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
The pain in my feet started 6 weeks AFTER I was diagnosed and quickly lowered by blood sugar levels. Still have it 6 months later, although it varies in severity.
I was told once that the pain is due to your body healing itself. No pain or feeling indicated dead nerve. Painful toes can indicate healing or the nerve looking for a new avenue to supply blood to tips of toes.
In some stroke patients it has been seen evidence of the body sourcing new pathways and repair.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Might want to toss some Thiamine (Vitamin B1) down the hatch, that should help speed up the healing of the damaged nerves? Also, you could ask your doc for amitriptyline, which is often given to treat neuropathy.

In any case, good luck!
Jo

Reactions: Grannypat

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
It does make me wonder if this is the same thing for me right now, the pain comes and goes but each day I seem to be getting a bit more of the feeling back in it. My diet and fasting dramatically shifted lately so hopefully it's the more optimistic side of things that I am resolving the issues rather than making them worse. Thanks for the insight though Jim, @Listlad and @Dan Lockwood I'm gonna keep on soldiering on, especially with so many markers improving lately. Thanks as well for the well wishes there Dan, hope you enjoy the week too!

I agree with @Jim Lahey, and I'd echo the same comments about carbs and seed oils in my own experience with numbness and then regaining feeling again.... but also wanted to say it's nice to see you back posting. ;)

Caprock94

Might want to toss some Thiamine (Vitamin B1) down the hatch, that should help speed up the healing of the damaged nerves? Also, you could ask your doc for amitriptyline, which is often given to treat neuropathy.

In any case, good luck!
Jo

I have tried that along with ALA. Not sure if it is helping or not, but worth a shot! Mine seems to come and go lately.