What was your fasting blood glucose? (with some chat)

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @dogslife .

In terms of back pain..I get ya.

Slipped a disc 2 years back ..did not want to move let alone exercise.

Thought comes to my head .

Many say resistance training helps.

Sorry @dogslife

Incomplete post...

I had meant to say resistance training (I use weights).but I also take one of my wife's RESISTANCE BANDS to work.
And I can deffo feel the effort on the muscles in my arms and shoulders.

I liked the thinking someone else put up of the WHOLE woe being a more EFFICIENT use of the foods.

As in low carbs /higher-healthy fats
Going IN...

our muscles then being like sponges soaking up and using as much of the glucose as possible...

which is where the resistance as opposed to cardio scores well.

( A theme of the muscles soaking up the the glucose , that I think is endorsed by the many examples of members reducing highish BG scores with some gentle exercise aka a walk after lunch/dinner.)

I'd suggest while hardcore weight training is out, maybe some gentler exercises on the Resistance bands MIGHT be of some benefit.

Anyway, wish you well.
Have a good day

Reactions: HarryBeau

Dawnmc71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi everyone, I've been T2 for 18 months now and not particularly well controlled due to huge stresses and comfort eating. Decided to get a grip and went keto on Sunday, as I've moved house a fortnight ago and am struggling to find time to get registered with my new doc and all the rigmarole required (teacher here).

Having just 2 weeks of metformin left and 4 weeks to school holidays I've been amazed how fast my bg has dropped. By tues I had readings 5.5 /5.3 all day, but these are still dropping. Last night both before and 2 hrs after food I got 4.3(!!!) and so I didnt take any metformin. Now my concern is is that too low? I didn't feel great, but I know in the first couple of weeks keto I might not.

Any advice? Am I at risk of hypo on low carb?

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning All. Yes its little old me at silly o clock! Bad night on the sofa with nausea and digestive issues which lasted 5 hrs. It was yesterdays theme. Went out to Thai restaurant with friends last night. Chose a stir fry main but the starter platter wasnt great for me. Think might need to increase my enzymes. Anyway at 0500 I am 5.6. Will test again at 0800 as usual.
Happy Saturday everyone. Stay well, stay safe.
@jjraak how are you getting on with the food in Goa?

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi everyone, I've been T2 for 18 months now and not particularly well controlled due to huge stresses and comfort eating. Decided to get a grip and went keto on Sunday, as I've moved house a fortnight ago and am struggling to find time to get registered with my new doc and all the rigmarole required (teacher here).

Having just 2 weeks of metformin left and 4 weeks to school holidays I've been amazed how fast my bg has dropped. By tues I had readings 5.5 /5.3 all day, but these are still dropping. Last night both before and 2 hrs after food I got 4.3(!!!) and so I didnt take any metformin. Now my concern is is that too low? I didn't feel great, but I know in the first couple of weeks keto I might not.

Any advice? Am I at risk of hypo on low carb?

This is fine keep it there and maybe not take your metformin as long as you are strict, metformin does not cause dangerously low hypos but there is no need for metformin when you are that low 4.3 is not dangerous , under 4 is unpleasant to many

Reactions: OrsonKartt

philchap1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Morning All. Yes its little old me at silly o clock! Bad night on the sofa with nausea and digestive issues which lasted 5 hrs. It was yesterdays theme. Went out to Thai restaurant with friends last night. Chose a stir fry main but the starter platter wasnt great for me. Think might need to increase my enzymes. Anyway at 0500 I am 5.6. Will test again at 0800 as usual.
Hope you feel better soon

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
REUTERS:
HEALTH DESK : Reports coming from India that the Mediterranean diet may have competition

Diabetic maverick "JJ Raak" has flown halfway across the globe to test the "Tourist India" diet

First reports coming in suggest it may of large benefits.

Typical meals have been tandoori chicken, veg..half nan bread .one large Heineken
Half a dozen bloody Mary's, prawns in garlic, with chicken satay sauce, two vodka diet cokes..pre 5.5...post 6.1....

JJ reports only I'll effect seems to a propensity to laugh, dance and generally misbehave in a way totally unbecoming of his age .

Asked when experiment will end,

with a wink and a cheeky grin, JJ responded that more time will certainly be needed to fully appreciate benefits...chin,chin. ;) "

Last edited:

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Have you ever suffered from Armpit Surprise?
51823938_10158190585589951_9074618172430090240_n.jpg

This made me laugh out loud quite literally. The answer is a resounding yes!

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Thanks for asking @PenguinMum .

Surprisingly well.
After yesterday's great results I tested this morning (current time here 1pm)
At my LOWEST Score EVER...4.8
Retested just to check..and was
the full Mc Garrett...5.0.

Going for a swim now to celebrate

Take care.

Love to all

Reactions: HarryBeau and Shas3

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
5.4 today which is a nothing kinda level - doesn't fit in good or bad really - just "is" @PenguinMum hugs for the discomfort of it all. @JohnEGreen some kind of shock that one. @Dawnmc71 welcome and hugs for being a teacher (if in the UK) but great news on swift drop in bg levels. Plenty of members function fine almost continually in the 4s (it can make you walk absurd distances and support the most unsavoury football teams though). Apparently an illogical craving for almond butter is a common (uncouth?) side effect:angelic:

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
5.7 for me this morning. On my second cup of coffee and catching up with 2 days worth of posts here. Such a lot!
@PenguinMum hugs for the digestive issues such a shame to have such repercussions after your last meal out with your friends.
@Jkraak I’m really enjoying your traveller’s tales, sounds like you’re having a brilliant time. Keep taking the Bloody Marys.
@dogslife I feel for you, pain and stress can have a big effect on your results. I completely get the demoralising aspect of constantly posting higher numbers than you’re happy with. As you can’t exercise much at the moment have you tried mindfulness/ meditation which can really help to bring down stress levels. I use the Headspace app and have found it has made a big difference to me during stressful times of my life. Hope things turn around for you soon.

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Typical meals have been tandoori chicken, veg..half nan bread .one large Heineken
Half a dozen bloody Mary's, prawns in garlic, with chicken satay sauce, two vodka diet cokes..pre 5.5...post 6.1....
Well done for resisting the very sugary Indian desserts @jjraak! I haven't been to Goa since I became T2, I'm not sure if I could forego the sweet stuff, especially the Bebinca - a traditional Goan speciality which is a layered pudding made with coconut milk, egg yolks, flour and sugar syrup. But it is around 60g of carbs per 100g.

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Right now I couldn't be more shocked if my BG meter had grew fangs a bitten me 17.6 is the highest level I have ever had in the past 2 years yes I cast caution to the wind and had a Chinese take away but only one third of a sweet and sour chicken meal but come on last time same meal exactly blood sugar just nudged 9.0 nasty.
Ouch - those Chinese takeaways are sometimes members of organised gangs of criminal sugars and associates carbs. Be careful, once tasted and before you know it you will be their culinary running dog.