Diabetes has "Resolved"

BarbaraG

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I've seen several references to the Diabetes Register - can someone tell me what this is, exactly? Is it within your GP practice, regional, national etc?

Dark Horse

This is the advice from Public Health England:-
Current evidence shows that all people with diabetes should be screened for diabetic retinopathy for life once there has been a definite diagnosis of diabetes, excluding gestational diabetes. New GP Read codes were introduced in 2014 to take this guidance into account.

Before 2014, many GPs used the code ‘Diabetes resolved’ for patients whose blood sugar levels normalised following treatment, such as pancreatic transplant, or intensive weight reduction. These patients were then removed from the register of people requiring annual retinal screening – even though their risk of developing diabetic retinopathy may have increased following a rapid improvement in diabetes control.

Such patients should now be classified as ‘Diabetes in remission’. This ensures they are still invited for screening.

https://phescreening.blog.gov.uk/20...dont-slip-through-diabetic-eye-screening-net/

In summary, :-
  • If you have a 'diabetes in remission' code, you should still be called for eye screening
  • If you have a 'diabetes resolved' code, you should not be called for eye screening
Please do not think that if you have a 'diabetes resolved' code and you are still being called for screening, everything is fine. It actually indicates that precious NHS resources are being wasted. Either you don't need screening or, if you do, it means that the Screening Programme is having to waste time and effort repeatedly contacting the GP to find out the whether the reason for the resolved code is valid.

If you are told that you are being marked as 'diabetes resolved', I would
  • check that the GP is aware of the guidance from PHE regarding 'in remission' versus' resolved' codes
  • if the GP is sure that the code should be 'resolved', check that the GP has fully informed the local Diabetic Eye Screening Programme

Reactions: Prem51

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I would make certain they know that you are diet controlled

Thanks for that, but I appear to have more faith in my HCP's than you do in yours.

The clue for them is that they don't me prescribe any drugs :banghead:

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Very well done @britishpub. Apart from your astonishing results, the other 2 takeaways deal with terminology. "Diabetes Resolved" appears to be the medical equivalent of technically "cured" and "Diabetes in Remission" looks like what commonly is referred to as "reversed".

Reactions: britishpub

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Thanks for that, but I appear to have more faith in my HCP's than you do in yours.

The clue for them is that they don't me prescribe any drugs :banghead:

Glad you're another one that has such a good rapport with them.
Seems they are better than some others then.

You don't need to do anything, if you trust them to make sure you keep up with all the other eye checks, annual blood test etc.

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks folks for your input.

I certainly will not be making any major changes to my diet or lifestyle in response to this "news" and I'll continue to be vigilant.

I will consider my T2D to have been "resolved" by weight loss, and only a continuation of that will keep it that way.

Reactions: Prem51

Muddikins

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think there ought to be some form of ritual to drum you off the boards since you are no longer 'one of us':p
Seriously though that's brilliant news. If they ever try that on me I will have to give them a dodgy test result though. I am on all sorts of meds following my heart attack and not having to buy a prescription season ticket anymore is going to save me loads of money.

Reactions: Krystyna23040