Is this neuropathy ?

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've never experienced the pins and needles pain in my feet while trying to sleep or general numbness in my feet, just a burning pain in the top of my right foot for 3 to 6 weeks in early 2015, then again last month in my toes for 2 or 3 days. In both instances, the pain was preceded by a significant drop in glucose levels. It seems that I only experience pain when my nerves are re-growing.

The frozen shoulder has been very different. I lost range of motion in my left shoulder for more than a year. It was very painful at times. I still have some pain when I move that arm suddenly in an unusual way, but have full range of motion again, thankfully.

I'm also battling heart disease which shows up periodically as chest pain. I smoked cigarettes from age 10 to 29, so likely damaged my arteries early on, and my lungs. I haven't had a Coronary Artery Calcium Score done yet, but hope to this year. What I've learned from Ivor Cummins, The Fat Emperor blogger, is that the goal is to stop the progression of calcification which is what I've been trying to do for the last 4 years.

My glucose levels haven't been as well controlled as I would like over the last 2 years. Currently, when I eat a low carb, ketogenic dinner of meat and vegetables, my pre-meal glucose level will typically be 120 mg/dl or lower, then will spike up to 200 mg/dl, so I use walking to get it back down quickly. I think my insulin resistance has significantly worsened. It will get better, it just takes a few months of knocking glucose spikes down quickly.

The reason I encourage people who are suffering from peripheral neuropathy to take a B-complex and 600 mg alpha lipoic acid daily is because research has shown that doing so is successful in reversing diabetic peripheral neuropathy. That said, nothing will work when glucose levels are running high.

Additionally, what I'm learning now is that for those who are genetically predisposed to having methylation problems, taking a B-complex with ALA isn't enough. Because of that and a recent high homocysteine level, I'm learning about MTHFR and exploring whether or not I have this issue. If I do, I will need to begin taking specific B vitamins that are formulated to be utilized immediately by the body. I was a sickly child. During my 20's, I began taking a whole food B-complex and was amazed how much better I felt on it. When I stop using it, I'd experience what I'd describe as brain fog. It would be nice to finally have an explanation as to why I need to supplement B vitamins despite eating a very healthy, nutrient dense diet.

I think it's GREAT that you're doing so well now. Also that you haven't let your diabetes stop you from living the life you want for yourself! If your numb feet are checked daily with a mirror for breaks in the skin, and you're not having balance problems that are causing you to fall...perhaps your numb feet are advantageous. ;)

My goal is to be complication free or to at least stop the progression of my complications. :)

Last edited:
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don’t take statins and the pain im getting is so strange just feels like my plans are super sensitive. Or like my thumbs and wrists ache like anything is it possible inflammation could cause nerve damage from joints ? I had my esr tested but it was negative as well as my ana for auto immune disorders so I’m at a loss seeing a neurologist today will see what he thinks. Just feel like it’s odd to suddenly have bilateral periphual neuropathy in both hands when feet and legs are fine
When I had similar it turned out to be Repetitive Strain Injury. The computer chair spring had collapsed and I was typing from too low down. DN was straight onto it and told me to get a new chair. It helped a lot but I still get the occasional ache behind the thumbs.

P

petedusty

Oh, nail through big toe. Not good, but you're resilience and ability to do what you need to do regarding your wound care is admirable.

A little more than 2 years ago, I developed frozen shoulder. It's slowly thawing. The neuropathy in my feet is there but I don't realize it until I get my glucose levels down and it heals again which results in days or weeks of pain. More tomorrow...
Hi Winnie,
It's been a real pleasure talking with you!
I have decided to close my account
I don't do any social media and I thought I could be of help here,but I see there are many warm and caring people here with experience in all aspects of diabetes and its complications. Keep working with your diabetes and your good work here on the forum. Thanks so much!
Pete

Reactions: Kevin259

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Saddened to hear this. I think you'd be a tremendous help. Many here are like you, stable and doing well. Others just needing a little help with their diet or managing their medication or insulin, or just the companionship of others with diabetes. You bring a lot of knowledge, experience, and good humor here. And caring. There's a place here for everyone. I hope you'll continue getting acquainted with the many different areas of the forum as you have time. At times, just reading what others post here is interesting and informative. It's been really nice talking with an American here who's doing so well with their diabetes and life. I hope you continue or return when it feels right to do so. :)