Struggling with weight loss

Deborah 85

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was diagnoaed with T2 in December and when I started my medication, the first four weeks I lost 9lbs which I was really Happy with.

I have since been back to the docs and I seem to have put back on what I have lost. I’ve been taken off medication and now I’ve been told the now my T2 will be monitored by food and exercise but that’s what I have been doing for the past few months. I just feel so frustrated and sad that I lost weight and now I’ve put it back on, I’m really struggling with it. Can you not eat enough? Is that a thing??

Caeseji

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self-fellating idiots that don't at all look at other people's views
I was diagnoaed with T2 in December and when I started my medication, the first four weeks I lost 9lbs which I was really Happy with.

I have since been back to the docs and I seem to have put back on what I have lost. I’ve been taken off medication and now I’ve been told the now my T2 will be monitored by food and exercise but that’s what I have been doing for the past few months. I just feel so frustrated and sad that I lost weight and now I’ve put it back on, I’m really struggling with it. Can you not eat enough? Is that a thing??

Which medication were you on and what has your diet been like? It might just be a temporary thing whilst you adjust to the medications or lack thereof.

Reactions: Deborah 85

Deborah 85

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was on 40g of gliclazide, up until last week, then I was taken off it. My diet has been the same since I found out in December, in a day I will have Greek yoghurt and fruit for breakfast, tuna or chicken salad for lunch, when I get home from work I usually have some toast and then dinner will be some sort of meat with roasted veg, that’s me basically every day

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was on 40g of gliclazide, up until last week, then I was taken off it. My diet has been the same since I found out in December, in a day I will have Greek yoghurt and fruit for breakfast, tuna or chicken salad for lunch, when I get home from work I usually have some toast and then dinner will be some sort of meat with roasted veg, that’s me basically every day
Depending on if the yogurt was flavoured or not that might be a problem, fruit quite likely, salad dressing possibly, toast almost certainly and maybe some of the veg. Any breadcrumbs? sauces? What drinks do you have? Snacks? I’m looking for sneaky carbs.

Do you test your meals and their effect. I’m assuming as you were previously on gliclazide you have a meter? Do you know why it was stopped?

Deborah 85

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It’s plain full fat Greek yogurt, fruits is usually either strawberries or raspberries, I don’t use any salad dressings unless it’s a tablespoon of full fat mayo. I have whole meal bread when I have toast as my nurse told me to eat that instead of white bread as that will give me some energy. During the day I only drink water or sugar free diluting juice and one or two cups of tea with milk.

Yeah I test after eating and I’m always usually in the low 5s or I have been in the 4s sometimes. It was stopped as it was lowering my bloods to much and when I took it sometimes my blood level would be in the low 3s, I have been off it for two weeks and I feel much better but I just can’t seem to shift any weight, I have been going to gym classes three times a week but it doesn’t seem to be making any difference at all.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So the weight has been static or going up for how long? Just a couple of weeks? If so hang on. We all have stalls, especially if something significant has changed like your meds. If those readings are without Glic then they are an excellent indication you’re eating the right things. I’d advocate patience for a while in those circumstances.

Reactions: keefidee

Deborah 85

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
When I was weighed in January I lost 9lbs but since I have been weighed again in feb and then again today two weeks after coming off the meds. It has shot back up again to where it was at the start, just feel so disheartened when I am trying to hard.
Yeah my readings without the meds have been at low 5s most of the times

keefidee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I also found my weight loss stalled for a while, but eating to my meter using lchf the weight loss restarted on a more gradual level.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Could you ask for a thyroid check?