Social lunch and dinner situations - How do you manage?

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Indeed. Even though i am new what notice is all the “organized medical bodies” seem to either rubbish or at best be very very cautious about LCHF. Nobody even go as far as a csutous endorsement. while on the other hand, among actual diabetics communities LCHF almost feels like a cult (kind of).
My theory is that LCHF for diabetes control is not easy to tailor or administer. It isn’t like “take one of these 3 times a day and you will be okay”. So for a GP it needs more time and effort to put into place for each individual. For those that are proactive with dietary change, it is a lot easier but not everybody is. I sense that is part of the hesitancy on their part.

Reactions: Shas3

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Indeed. Even though i am new what notice is all the “organized medical bodies” seem to either rubbish or at best be very very cautious about LCHF. Nobody even go as far as a csutous endorsement. while on the other hand, among actual diabetics communities LCHF almost feels like a cult (kind of). What I don’t understand is if LCHF really has issues, why do we never seem to hear from those who tried it? Have there been any instances of people who went on it and had issues or did not meet their goals? Surely if people were unhappy they would challenge and share their experiences! No??

You can absolutely guarantee that any supposed drawbacks to LCHF/Keto would have the press racing in like blummin' greyhounds for the story. There was an example just a few days ago, a completely spurious symptom of Keto reported as 'Keto Crotch'. No such symptom/drawback exists.

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
@Resurgam @Caeseji @Tophat1900 @Jim Lahey @DavidGrahamJones really great strategies for dealing with socia lunch and dinner situations.

What I have also noticed is that almost everyone is totally unaware of what I am eating (or not eating) and much more interested in choosing their own food. Once I realised that - social situations were much less stressful and I could just relax and enjoy them while feeling extremely virtuous. A small bar of 85% chocolate is my favourite emergency food if there really wasn't anything to eat.

I will also take a little flask with some cream for my coffee. This doesn't work if you have done a 5 mile walk before stopping to eat. The cream has been churned into a solid block that does not mix easily with my coffee.

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
You can absolutely guarantee that any supposed drawbacks to LCHF/Keto would have the press racing in like blummin' greyhounds for the story. There was an example just a few days ago, a completely spurious symptom of Keto reported as 'Keto Crotch'. No such symptom/drawback exists.
yes - you are so right - any drawbacks would be headline new s.

Reactions: Shas3 and Guzzler

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I have found constipation as a new issue as a consequence of the dietary change. I am however managing it a bit better now by ensuring I do get certain foods or foodstuffs in the diet on a daily basis.
ground flax seeds and inulin have been invaluable as I have also had a problem with this.

Shas3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Resurgam @Caeseji @Tophat1900 @Jim Lahey @DavidGrahamJones really great strategies for dealing with socia lunch and dinner situations.

What I have also noticed is that almost everyone is totally unaware of what I am eating (or not eating) and much more interested in choosing their own food. Once I realised that - social situations were much less stressful and I could just relax and enjoy them while feeling extremely virtuous. A small bar of 85% chocolate is my favourite emergency food if there really wasn't anything to eat.

I will also take a little flask with some cream for my coffee. This doesn't work if you have done a 5 mile walk before stopping to eat. The cream has been churned into a solid block that does not mix easily with my coffee.

That’s right.. i think in slightly larger gathering nobody cares what we choose. But when it is slightly smaller (say 3 or 4 couples) and a sit down dinner it may not go that unnoticed... at least that’s what happened to me. So i guess for smaller settings just letting the host know beforehand maybe better. And that chocolate and cream sound brilliant. Does cream stay good outside fridge?? Never had the need to carry around (till now!) ....so, am confused!!

Charis1213

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Speaking only for myself, I learned a long time ago that the only way to approach such things is to not care what anyone else thinks. I try to be discrete about my food choices when among others, but in the end, if there’s nothing I’m happy eating then I won’t eat. Obviously I don’t wish to offend people, but I’m not making any choices that I view as deleterious to my health just to make others feel comfortable.

I agree I did that last week at my son's he said why don't you just go for it and eat what you want. I said because I want to do what i feel is best for myself and my health. Having said that i had some fish from the chippy last night , only ate about 3 chips cos not a lover anyway , spiked to 8.3 woke to 7.5 back to 6.5 . Both me and hubby said we won't be doing that very often it was a special treat , but I would actually prefer my normal menu . But i won't let people dictate what i will do . :)

Reactions: Shas3 and Listlad

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I h
Last night a friend invited us for dinner. Not a huge gathering, just 5 families. I was struggling to find anything that is low carb. I didn’t want to eat anything but didn’t want to look rude. Ended up eating a bit of this and that. Woke up with 7.2 this morning which is not as bad i was fearing but definitely not what i want.

So how does one manage these delicate situations? I can’t stop socializing completely!! Nor do i want to stand out like a sore thumb.

How do you manage? Any suggestions?
I have never really found eating out a problem I really only eat chicken because I do not like other meats I do eat fish and there is usually both on a menu but I do not really worry about the carbs to much when I am eating out it is only occasionally and I just want to enjoy a normal meal for once but that is just me others do it differently

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
To be honest I would not be concerned overly in the odd break in my low carb diet and would eat what had been provided possibly in smaller amounts and a little selectively if possible. Then accept and deal with the consequences if I else wise I would not accept the invitation.

Though mostly the last few such occasions have been at a friends house and he has been T2 about 15 years or more so it not such a problem for me on those occasions.

Other friends and family all are aware of my diabetes and allow for it. Most of them have their own problems my brother in law is T1 sister in law has coeliac disease and one nephew with CF so family gatherings can be a dietary minefield any way.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I tend not to worry too much if it doesn’t happen very often particularly as I normally manage to find something that’s not too high carb.

Reactions: Listlad and Shas3

Shas3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I h

I have never really found eating out a problem I really only eat chicken because I do not like other meats I do eat fish and there is usually both on a menu but I do not really worry about the carbs to much when I am eating out it is only occasionally and I just want to enjoy a normal meal for once but that is just me others do it differently

Sure... the issue last night was dinner at friend’s home and a set menu (all vegetarian and carbs)!!

Shas3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
To be honest I would not be concerned overly in the odd break in my low carb diet and would eat what had been provided possibly in smaller amounts and a little selectively if possible. Then accept and deal with the consequences if I else wise I would not accept the invitation.

Though mostly the last few such occasions have been at a friends house and he has been T2 about 15 years or more so it not such a problem for me on those occasions.

Other friends and family all are aware of my diabetes and allow for it. Most of them have their own problems my brother in law is T1 sister in law has coeliac disease and one nephew with CF so family gatherings can be a dietary minefield any way.

Thanks!! Makes perfect sense not to create total dilemma for the poor hosts!!! And you are totally right that the occasional slip maybe ok. I am just getting onto the LCHF path... and on day two i was in the awkward situation!! Hence wanted to hear from the experienced low carbbers!!

Reactions: JohnEGreen

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I am just getting onto the LCHF path... and on day two i was in the awkward situation!! Hence wanted to hear from the experienced low carbbers!!
Yes I can see that was difficult as you are just starting out you do not want to slip up before you have got started but if at the start of your journey or like me a few years into it I think the principle is the same just consider it a slight delay in your starting out on the lchf path and pick up where you left off your body won't mind as you in all probability are not yet fully adjusted to lchf it takes a little while.

Reactions: Listlad and Shas3

Shas3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes I can see that was difficult as you are just starting out you do not want to slip up before you have got started but if at the start of your journey or like me a few years into it I think the principle is the same just consider it a slight delay in your starting out on the lchf path and pick up where you left off your body won't mind as you in all probability are not yet fully adjusted to lchf it takes a little while.

Thanks John for the wise words

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Remarkably close to insulin. How do you take the inulin?
It's a white powder from chicory root. I add 15g to kefir or yoghurt in the morning. It actually tastes sweet - although it contains 91g of fibre per 100g. It does cause faster transit and I started using it after watching a programme featuring Angela Rippon who was shocked to find she had a lot of visceral fat even though she was slim and active. As I was diagnosed with a fatty liver in 2000 I thought it might be helpful to start using it. I continued using it when I found it improved transit times.

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
That’s right.. i think in slightly larger gathering nobody cares what we choose. But when it is slightly smaller (say 3 or 4 couples) and a sit down dinner it may not go that unnoticed... at least that’s what happened to me. So i guess for smaller settings just letting the host know beforehand maybe better. And that chocolate and cream sound brilliant. Does cream stay good outside fridge?? Never had the need to carry around (till now!) ....so, am confused!!
Yes - I agree - for a smaller gathering it is better to tell the hosts.
I have a really small stainless steel flask and the cream stays absolutely fine, even in the hottest weather, unless I do lots of walking

Muddikins

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If you had an allergy to, say, peanuts you would decline the satay sauce without hesitation rather than go into anaphylactic shock and nothing on Earth would convince you otherwise.
Carbs are clearly not quite as dramatic but as far as I am concerned I treat them the same way, it's easier for me to have a rule and stick to it than do different things at different times. Your friends will learn and accommodate your new diet and everyone one else can go jump if they don't like it. Others will disagree so in the end it comes down to what you feel is the best for you.

Reactions: Shas3 and HSSS