Travel cool bag for insulin pens

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Anyway, I hope this information is helpful. Thanks to everyone for your help to this newbie
Thanks for promptly returning the favour with even more information!
I'll find you when I ever need something googled and it doesn't work out when I try it myself :)

Sugar High

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
I’ve been using Frio wallets for some years travelling all around the world and find them invaluable. They have kept my insulin extremely cold and so easy to simply re-soak anywhere. I also put my husband’s eye drops in the wallet as these also need to be kept refrigerated.

When you say "extremely cold", do you have an actual temperature? The rep from the company told me it was only 78F (26C). I wouldn't call 78F "extremely cold". But, on the other hand, I would think that an evaporation system could be quite a bit better than 78F.

Sugar High

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
I did a little more research. (Anything worth doing is worth overdoing.) I'm trying to decide whether to buy a Frio or one of the ice packs.

Here are some rating for the ice packs. Fakespot is a company that reviews reviews. They look for shills and scammers.

Here's their website: /https://www.fakespot.com/

These ratings are for the ice pack cases.
Travel cooling cases.jpg

And these are for the Frio products.
Travel cooling wallets (Frio).jpg

Dodo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
When you say "extremely cold", do you have an actual temperature? The rep from the company told me it was only 78F (26C). I wouldn't call 78F "extremely cold". But, on the other hand, I would think that an evaporation system could be quite a bit better than 78F.
I don't have the actual temperature but even after a day in my Frio wallet they feel as cold as when I have just taken them from the fridge. I like the fact that all you need is a basin of cold water to keep them cool. I also believe insulin in a vial, that is in use, can be kept for up to a month without refrigeration and have found this to be true for the last 53 years of my diabetic life. Obviously, you wouldn't expose it to extreme temperatures during that time.

Last edited:

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I’ve been using Frio wallets for some years travelling all around the world and find them invaluable. They have kept my insulin extremely cold and so easy to simply re-soak anywhere. I also put my husband’s eye drops in the wallet as these also need to be kept refrigerated.

I find the hotter it gets, the the better it works at keeping insulin stable.. They work! & i've flown to hot destinations with a rock band & the wallet has also stood up to the rigours of gigging.

The reports by Amazon users that they "leak gel, that they get the pens gooey, and that when wet, they swell up and are difficult to get back in the case.?" That @Sugar High reports.
hmmmmm.
Probably "user error." regarding over soaking the product by going beyond the recommended period of submersion in water.. ;)

The idea behind any product designed to keep insulin at a safe temperature in the extremes. Is to stop your meds becoming dysfunctional by spoiling..

Dodo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I find the hotter it gets, the the better it works at keeping insulin stable.. They work! & i've flown to hot destinations with a rock band & the wallet has also stood up to the rigours of gigging.

The reports by Amazon users that they "leak gel, that they get the pens gooey, and that when wet, they swell up and are difficult to get back in the case.?" That @Sugar High reports.
hmmmmm.
Probably "user error." regarding over soaking the product by going beyond the recommended period of submersion in water.. ;)

The idea behind any product designed to keep insulin at a safe temperature in the extremes. Is to stop your meds becoming dysfunctional by spoiling..
I've never been let down by my Frio wallet so far, so will continue to use it. Mind you, I'm off to Iceland this year so I shouldn't expect any problems!

MattyD

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I know I'm late to the party on this one but thought I'd put my comment in anyway. I think there's confusion in this thread because there are two different use cases that are being talked about.

The first is the "in use" pen being kept at a safe temperature (i.e. around room temperature) irrespective of how hot or cold the temperature is around them. It feels like the Frio is perfect for that use case. I found the thread because I'd been worried about travelling to hot countries or leaving the pen in the car in the uk.

The second is storage of "spare" pens which need to be kept refrigerated and for that purpose the Frio wouldn't be the right choice and a proper cool bag would be needed.

I THINK I've understood this right? I'm very new to insulin and getting my head around the requirements on it.

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The second is storage of "spare" pens which need to be kept refrigerated and for that purpose the Frio wouldn't be the right choice and a proper cool bag would be needed.
Insulin is fine out of the fridge for 30 days.
Unless you are going away for longer than a month, Frio is perfectly ok for your in use and back up pen.

There are also temperature limits for your in-use insulin. It is not the temperature of the room irrespective of how hot or cold the temperature is around them.
This is describe in the Patient leaflet that comes with your insulin.
For example, for NovoRapid, it says: "• You can keep the NovoRapid® FlexPen® that you are using, or that you are carrying as a spare, either below 30°C or in a refrigerator. Discard NovoRapid® FlexPen® after 4 weeks even if there is still some NovoRapid® left in it."

Last edited: