Type 1'stars R Us

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Morning from that London and some eye wateringly high levels after takeaway two nights running. I’ve obviously got to hone my carb counting skills for random plastic boxes of spicy food... I hit 13 on Friday night and 16 last night. Ouch. A 2.45u rage bolus this morning will probably have me through the floor later, but let’s see. And I feel hideous, I’ve not hit double figures in MONTHS. The march was amazing yesterday, I’ve seen my blue wig and 5m flagpole combo of a Welsh windsock and Celtic Nations flag plus 8’ EU job on the front of many of the online newspapers, including the Guardian, Times and BBC. Unofficial polices estimates are that two million people were on the streets. Was a lovely carnival atmosphere, I saw hardly any police. Met up with old school friends and my son’s godfather too.

Back to reality and the day job of teaching physics tomorrow. At least my food will be back to normal, and hopefully my sugars. But first brunch in my favourite Turkish restaurant here in lovely Wood Green. I can deal with my usual meal of menemen there! A gentle stroll around the market to buy some interesting vegetables and proper halloumi, and it’s home to the Rhondda, collecting teenager en route. HideousSmallDiesel has proved itself very comfortable and pleasant to drive on a long journey in heavy traffic, much to my annoyance. And it does over sixty to the gallon. I almost don’t mind it :D

Proud of you Mel, Mel the Magnificent Marcher who went high for a good cause. Double figures are HIDEOUS - commiserations.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Good morning lovely people. Awoke on a 7.8. before bed 5,8, i had a few hypo's yesterday afternoon, but treated them with :meh: which they so rightly deserve ;)
Had a fantastic time at Brooklands yesterday, didn't see all of it though, but it was fantastic, especially on board Concorde and the Barnes Wallace bouncing bomb was enormous :wideyed: loved it all :happy:
Dinner was all ready when we got back and we enjoy the sausage casserole and fresh fruit with crème fraîche. Took lots of photo's, so I will have to fathom a way of making them smaller to upload on here, without them being too small:oops:
Take care and Happy Sunday x

Happy Sunday Robs. That bouncing bomb was amazing, but poor BW suffered from huge regret at the loss of life it created. Awful to have to take those kinds of decisions about ‘good’ destruction and the potential of some lives lost saving many.

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Good morning everyone im back off to bed been up all night coughing soon as my head hits the pillow it starts but is much worse through the night so will try for a few hours now enjoy whats left of the weekend lovely an sunny here in liverpool but a bit chilly

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Good morning everyone im back off to bed been up all night coughing soon as my head hits the pillow it starts but is much worse through the night so will try for a few hours now enjoy whats left of the weekend lovely an sunny here in liverpool but a bit chilly

Sleep well Karen and hope you’re a bit better when you wake up.

Reactions: karen8967

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Morning all
Yesterday was gym followed by eating: hummus and falafel wraps, carrot cake, pizza, chocolates. Bf tends to crave carbs when he's ill and his snottiness is still sniffing. It would be unsupportive not to join him. Bg a tad high this morning but correction has bought it down. I just need to get my body to the gym so I can continue to be supportive today.
Unrelated to food, I may try to resist the temptation to wind up other forum members. Oops.

If it’s me. You want to wind up, Helen, you can expect a satirical/daft/sappy reply, so go ahead, libres at dawn
Just had to edit, pred text turned libres into livers, now that’d be an interesting research project

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
I haven't done much except cuddle our old, blind dog and make lunch. I'd feel guilty but hey - he doesn't ask for much and he very much wanted to snuggle. Young dog too busy bouncing around the place to want to snuggle - her turn comes at bedtime when she suddenly becomes very needy and has to have a cuddle before she settles down to sleep.

Bloods were all over the place - high after breakfast for no reason, and plunging into a hypo before lunch. Wonderful. Might need to look at the ratio for breakfast. And the bedtime basal.

Reactions: therower

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Back from another mini jaunt, another kilometre, feeling pathetically pleased.

Reactions: becca59

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well another weekend draws to a close ( almost ).
Visited a unvisited village on Friday, starting to explore the area now we’ve settled in a bit more. Lunch was exceptional, another visit will be imminent I suspect. Village was a little “ high class “ and boasted a rather nice shop selling quirky stuff.
£100 later we had 3 metal flower pots and the OH birthday present ( a circular, 3 tier metal display stand ). Shelf in corner needed re siting to accommodate aforementioned birthday present:banghead::banghead::banghead:.
Saturday was a local breakfast and then home earliesh, next door neighbour gave us 2 old chimney pots and one of those wooden wagon wheels. Wheel is now attached to fence with 3 metal flower pots adorning it. Chimney pots have been rubbed down, painted dark grey, drying and awaiting a nice bright colour around the top.:):):)
Purchased some coat hooks and they are now on the wall, mounted on homemade wooden coat shaped pieces of wood.
Washed car as well:):):).
Amazingly my ol mate diabetes has played ball mostly throughout.
Roast beef dinner is now ready. Let’s see what that does to BS.

Last edited:

Capt-Slog

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Sport
Morning from that London and some eye wateringly high levels after takeaway two nights running. I’ve obviously got to hone my carb counting skills for random plastic boxes of spicy food... I hit 13 on Friday night and 16 last night. Ouch. A 2.45u rage bolus this morning will probably have me through the floor later, but let’s see. And I feel hideous, I’ve not hit double figures in MONTHS.

Oh Mel. Although you have my commiserations for "feeling hideous"... your hideous is my dream.
Went to bed at 5.2. Woke up at 15 !
Even though i tried to eat very little today and kept on bashing insulin into myself i STILL went up to 23. Is it a miss-print when you said that you had a Rage Bolus of 2.45?
My Rage Bolus, after lunch today, was 25 units of Novarapid (there is no missing decimal point there).
That finally pushed it down below 10 but even though xDrip originally said i would go into Hypo after 1 hour, it actually bottomed-out at 6 after 3 hours. (I just don't understand my condition some days)

But honestly, i am not complaining. Before my MiaoMiao and xDrip i rarely went below 10, except when i went blasting straight through it on the way to a Hypo. Since getting my MiaoMiao and using xDrip i can at least see what is going on, although I still don't understand WHY things happen. What works one day (95% Time in Target Wednesday) simply doesn't the next (21% Time in Target Thursday) - same food, same insulin, same work.

Hope you have a FLAT day tomorrow.
Live Long and Prosper.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Oh Mel. Although you have my commiserations for "feeling hideous"... your hideous is my dream.
Went to bed at 5.2. Woke up at 15 !
Even though i tried to eat very little today and kept on bashing insulin into myself i STILL went up to 23. Is it a miss-print when you said that you had a Rage Bolus of 2.45?
My Rage Bolus, after lunch today, was 25 units of Novarapid (there is no missing decimal point there).
That finally pushed it down below 10 but even though xDrip originally said i would go into Hypo after 1 hour, it actually bottomed-out at 6 after 3 hours. (I just don't understand my condition some days)

But honestly, i am not complaining. Before my MiaoMiao and xDrip i rarely went below 10, except when i went blasting straight through it on the way to a Hypo. Since getting my MiaoMiao and using xDrip i can at least see what is going on, although I still don't understand WHY things happen. What works one day (95% Time in Target Wednesday) simply doesn't the next (21% Time in Target Thursday) - same food, same insulin, same work.

Hope you have a FLAT day tomorrow.
Live Long and Prosper.
I’m afraid it wasn’t a misprint, it really was just 2.45 units. And I went quite hypo three hours later... down to 3.1mmol - I probably would have been ok with just half that amount! I rarely take more than a unit at a time, because I don’t eat carbs (well, I try to limit myself to <30g a day from vegetables), so my doses are very small. Took 12g dextrose and 60 minutes with my pump suspended to bring me back up, which isn’t a lot for many people, but again I work with very small quantities. I’ve been thinking about that on the drive home from London, actually. The healthy human body typically has just five grams of glucose circulating in the blood. So it shouldn’t take a great deal to fix a hypo UNLESS we have too much (artificial) insulin circulating in the first place that needs “mopping up”. I suspect once the basal is dialled in just right, highs and lows can be corrected with smaller amounts of either insulin or glucose. Wish I had all the answers but as I see it, basal testing is key. Once the foundation is right, we can build something stable on it.

Still on the road, husbeast driving to give me a break. In a loooong queue for the old Severn Bridge as the new one is closed while they work on removing the redundant toll booths. Bored now!

Reactions: Colin of Kent

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Brilliant day for me, I can't believe the sun activated me to do soooooooo much.
Got the garden stuff from yesterday to the tip before the crowd arrived then back to fill more bags.
Magic, digging in the sun listening to the blackbird. Simple pleasure
Got a French lunch ready, just love snails, super natter, a bit of Mr B's guitar and singing too.
I've eaten too much, feeling stuffed and misguessed, oh oh oh 11.0, serves me right for eating proper French bread, I just can't resist.
Sleep well all, I'm going to have to wait a while before I can lie down
Have a good week

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
Warbles *I don't like Mondays,....* not too tunefully......

However, I'm up, bathed, dressed and have coffee. If I gotta get up, this is pretty OK. Blood at a gorgeous, happy 5.6

Today is work and then the bathroom has put its name forward for a good clean-out.

Have a happy week all :)

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Morning all,
Eventually rolled into bed after midnight with belly still groaning.
Imagine my delight just now................. madam 5mmol and I've lost 1k

Packing bags today ready for lift off tomorrow.
Gardening and chilling
Hope your day treats you well

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Morning all. Happy Monday maybe, with or without Russians in the shower.
Spiked in the night after him indoors made pastry-cased feta and spinach. It’s hard to convince him that 60g carb in the form of pastry’s not a good supper for me, despite split bolus. I wish it were.
All good now though, and the sun’s bright, cat’s happy, tadpoles appearing on top of the frogspawn etc etc. I’ve seen umpteen springs now and I still get excited about everything coming alive again.