Fibre supplements

merlin 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Recently diagnosed T2 i also have divetticullitis ive totally overhauled my diets reduced carbs included more fruit veg dairy fish poultry etc but im struggling with constipation ive tried having more fibre i just dont know what to do. any advice would be great

M

Member496333

As a type 2, fruit might not be the best idea. You should be able to get adequate fibre from vegetables and nuts, but if you’re still struggling then it’s possible that you need more dietary fat to help things along.

Reactions: lovinglife

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Recently diagnosed T2 i also have divetticullitis ive totally overhauled my diets reduced carbs included more fruit veg dairy fish poultry etc but im struggling with constipation ive tried having more fibre i just dont know what to do. any advice would be great
I have the same - I was constipated for about the first 3 or 4 weeks, I just used a gentle senna when I needed it, now I'm 3 months into less than 20g of carbs a day and I've settled down really nicely to my normal once a day visit and no longer need to help it along. Sprinkling flax seeds on your salad/veg may help

Reactions: mike@work

merlin 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have the same - I was constipated for about the first 3 or 4 weeks, I just used a gentle senna when I needed it, now I'm 3 months into less than 20g of carbs a day and I've settled down really nicely to my normal once a day visit and no longer need to help it along. Sprinkling flax seeds on your salad/veg may help
Thankyou so much thats great advice

Reactions: Serena51

merlin 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As a type 2, fruit might not be the best idea. You should be able to get adequate fibre from vegetables and nuts, but if you’re still struggling then it’s possible that you need more dietary fat to help things along.
Ok thankyou im getting desperate the only fruits im eating are blueberries and strawberries with the occasional apple or satsuma i tried the prunes out of desperation .Great advice i will try in creasing the fat

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Just as a point of interest, I was listening to a podcast yesterday and the guest has/had a part of his bowel removed due to severe diverticulitis. He said (I know this is anecdotal) that removing all seed oils (vegetable cooking oils) from his diet showed an almost immediate improvement in symptoms.

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
struggling with constipation

You'd be surprised at how good Vit C is. I used to use Vit C powder but now tend to just have berocca rather than plain water. You have to be careful and although even the recommended amount of berocca is one a day, I can tolerate 4 without disasters but it's something to be careful of.

merlin 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks thats great advice

merlin 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You'd be surprised at how good Vit C is. I used to use Vit C powder but now tend to just have berocca rather than plain water. You have to be careful and although even the recommended amount of berocca is one a day, I can tolerate 4 without disasters but it's something to be careful of.
Thats a good idea thankyou

merlin 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Gosh youve really been through it havent you, Thankyou for the advice im going to look into that

millenium

Type of diabetes
Carer
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Urban noise, environmental destruction
Try flaxseed meal and psyllium husk powder, one teaspoon each twice a day in one cup of fluid. Take a probiotic pill together. Eat plenty of vegetables and fruits (the amount your body can tolerate).

My father does that. Every morning he will go toilet after breakfast and empty his bowel within ten mins.

merlin 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Try flaxseed meal and psyllium husk powder, one teaspoon each twice a day in one cup of fluid. Take a probiotic pill together. Eat plenty of vegetables and fruits (the amount your body can tolerate).

My father does that. Every morning he will go toilet after breakfast and empty his bowel within ten mins.
wow that sounds good thank you so much

merlin 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just as a point of interest, I was listening to a podcast yesterday and the guest has/had a part of his bowel removed due to severe diverticulitis. He said (I know this is anecdotal) that removing all seed oils (vegetable cooking oils) from his diet showed an almost immediate improvement in symptoms.
Thankyou

merlin 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Great thanks