Laxative chocolate despair

FranOnTheEdge

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coriander leaf, chillis, celery, sausages,
Is anyone else lamenting the loss of their laxative inducing, no sugar chocolate?
I only just discovered the existence of Mint flavoured (among others) no sugar chocolate - I was absolutely thrilled with it.
The laxative effect just meant I didn't eat much at a time to limit that.
However, then the firms making it stopped!!!
And I began suffering from constipation - I needed that lovely choc! Couldn't find it anywhere! Desperate!
What can you do?

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Is anyone else lamenting the loss of their laxative inducing, no sugar chocolate?
I only just discovered the existence of Mint flavoured (among others) no sugar chocolate - I was absolutely thrilled with it.
The laxative effect just meant I didn't eat much at a time to limit that.
However, then the firms making it stopped!!!
And I began suffering from constipation - I needed that lovely choc! Couldn't find it anywhere! Desperate!
What can you do?

What brand was it?

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Some of the stuff made with artificial sweeteners have a laxative effect. I do not use them so cannot say which ones are 'good' for constipation.

FranOnTheEdge

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coriander leaf, chillis, celery, sausages,
I am using laxative inducing no sugar liquorice. :D
Hmmm, I didn't know there was such a thing. But I never liked liquorice all that much, and eating it wouldn't give me what chocolate gives you.
I have a biggish log of completely unsweetened chocolate. But it's very hard to saw off any of it to eat... I've been wondering about melting it down with some stevia or erythritol and pouring it into a silicon mould I have... that might help until chocolate becomes available to us again. Although I doubt it'd last as long as that! Lol!

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hmmm, I didn't know there was such a thing. But I never liked liquorice all that much, and eating it wouldn't give me what chocolate gives you.
I have a biggish log of completely unsweetened chocolate. But it's very hard to saw off any of it to eat... I've been wondering about melting it down with some stevia or erythritol and pouring it into a silicon mould I have... that might help until chocolate becomes available to us again. Although I doubt it'd last as long as that! Lol!

Fran, if you are referring to the likes of the Thornton' diabetic chocolate, I doubt it'll be coming back any time soon. A while ago, it was no longer allowable to label foods as suitable for diabetis, or diabetic x, y or z, although I don't believe manufacturers were compelled to change their recipes, just the descriptive labelling.

We have a traditional style sweet shop in our little town, selling sweets in jars. We visited a few montago, as MrB wanted a few Army & Navy for his then cold. On the shelves they had a whole sugar free section, and on enquiry, the proprietor was able to display her supplier's catalogue, which listed all the ingredients for each type.

If you have such a shop near you, then you could enquire if they have anything containing sorbitol, as that is/was what Thornton used, I think.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Where did you get the log from?

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It's Willie's Supreme Cacao, Nicaraguan Black 100% pure cacao. Why?
Right. It sounded familiar. I just ordered and received a Willies Cacao bar too. My wife uses something similar to make hot chocolate with etc. She breaks a piece off and adds it to her recipe. I bought the “log” for her.

B35D39BE-264E-4DEE-B6C2-0574075B7741.jpeg

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Hi Fran,
I've not heard of it, I asked because I thought I might be able to come up with an alternative. I like Hotel Chocolat's 70% (they do it right up to 100% too), in bars or you can get small packs of individual chocolates, all sorts, and I find two of their fondant type chocolate balls (around 5 carbs) are lovely.

endocrinegremlin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People telling me how to control my diabetes. My health. Isms. People walking their dogs off leads in illegal areas. Meat that bleeds. Late buses.
I hated the stuff because it was full of laxatives and other things buuut, there is this low sugar chocolate on sale in Aldi supermarkets right now. I suspect that might be packed with the stuff and low sugar to boot so might be worth checking out. Where I live it is at the check out.