Cramps with LCHF

Wendy18480

Hi,

I've just started the Keto diet which seems to really suit me but my big problem is muscle cramps. I've always been prone to cramp but now it is more regular.

I'm on 125mcg of Levothyroxine per day which I take first thing in the morning followed by 5mg of Folic Acid for Foliate Anemia and then 500mg of Glucophage with supper.

I try to avoid salt because that seems to make cramps worse but I'm at a loss as to how to get rid of them. Drinking a lot of water helps the cramps but causes more trips to the loo!!!

Any ideas will be gratefully received.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
When I first went low carb I got a lot of cramps, particularly in my feet at night. From this forum I learnt it may be magnesium deficiency. I used magnesium spray every night for a while and the cramps went away. Magnesium isn’t absorbed so well by mouth so rubbing it onto the skin was preferred.
I know you mentioned that salt doesn’t help, I don’t use a lot of salt but when I do I use pink Himalayan salt which in addition to sodium contains potassium and magnesium which is enough to keep the cramps away without the need for the spray now.

Wendy18480

When I first went low carb I got a lot of cramps, particularly in my feet at night. From this forum I learnt it may be magnesium deficiency. I used magnesium spray every night for a while and the cramps went away. Magnesium isn’t absorbed so well by mouth so rubbing it onto the skin was preferred.
I know you mentioned that salt doesn’t help, I don’t use a lot of salt but when I do I use pink Himalayan salt which in addition to sodium contains potassium and magnesium which is enough to keep the cramps away without the need for the spray now.
Thank you I'll give it a try. Several Keto recipies I've got have salt in them so that might be the thing to use.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks @Diakat for the tag.

I used to get terrible cramps almost every night. Now they are extremely infrequent.

I found I was allergic to the magnesium sprays (even the ones for sensitive skin) so I supplement with magnesium bisglycinate and potassium as well as making sure I keep well hydrated and add pink Himalayan salt to my food (it has additional electrolytes). The hydration is particularly key - especially when fasting (I can pee for England on OMAD days). The cramps I get nowadays can usually be put down to dehydration (difficult sometimes to drink enough if out walking etc).

Reactions: Diakat

Wendy18480

Thanks @Diakat for the tag.

I used to get terrible cramps almost every night. Now they are extremely infrequent.

I found I was allergic to the magnesium sprays (even the ones for sensitive skin) so I supplement with magnesium bisglycinate and potassium as well as making sure I keep well hydrated and add pink Himalayan salt to my food (it has additional electrolytes). The hydration is particularly key - especially when fasting (I can pee for England on OMAD days). The cramps I get nowadays can usually be put down to dehydration (difficult sometimes to drink enough if out walking etc).

I know I don't drink enough, I try but I just don't. And like you if I'm out walking with the dogs stopping to pee is not easy :happy:

I'll get some Himalayan salt and I'll also try to drink more. (water that is)!!

Thanks.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I just drink when I'm thirsty. ...no need to force it.
I tend to add salt to coffee and sometimes tea as well as to everything I cook.. rarely get cramps these days.

Reactions: jjraak

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Plus 1#..for the @Rachox post.

Had same issues, morning cramps, very harsh.

Use pink salt..helped but still an issue

Then I bought the spray @Rachox mentions.
Helps a lot..(does seem to leave a very fine film on the skin but nothing really bothersome)..and that has reduced the incidents mightily.

( Currently away, ( uk resident )
and weirdly not suffering despite not using spray....go figure ?? )