Units injected per injection/day.

Craig1978

I had a few things come up recently regarding my T1 and how it's managed, and it's made me question and doubt what I am doing. I consider myself fairly well maintained, but am just curious as to feedback as to the number of units people inject either per day in total or in any 1 injection?

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
I think it varies widely according to The individual, the amount eaten at any one time, the individual’s ratios, whether there’s exercise or illness to take into account and, as many will also say, what colour socks you’re wearing . My ratio is 1:10 and my basal varies from summer to winter.

Reactions: Grumpy ole thing

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
There is no average right amount, the right amount for you is how many you need for what you eat/do.

When I went on a carb counting counting last year the carb ratios ranged from 1unit for 2 carbs to 1unit for 50 carbs, so obviously the person using the 1:2 ratio needed a lot more insulin than the 1:50 person, but each was right for the particular person. It doesn't matter if you need more/less than someone else, as long as it's right for you.

D

Deleted Account

I agree with the previous comments. The answer to your question is "it depends".
For me it depends on what I have eaten, how much exercise I have done, whether I have been drinking alcohol, time of day, how stressful the day has been, whether I am ill, am I on holiday, ...
If you add different people of different weights, with insulin sensitivity and different lifestyle, the variation grows.

The important thing is to work out how much insulin you need and what variations you need to consider.

endocrinegremlin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People telling me how to control my diabetes. My health. Isms. People walking their dogs off leads in illegal areas. Meat that bleeds. Late buses.
Depends what time of the year you ask me. Summer and Winter have huge differences for me. I am on a pump and tend to use 200 units in 3 days for basal and bolus. More than some and less than others. It doesn't matter. As long as you give your body what your body needs, that is the most important thing.

Craig1978

Thanks for the replies.

I know the question is a little vague, as there are so many varying factors. Just curious as to actual numbers rather than ratios, and maybe, what people would consider a high amount to inject to maintain a sensible BG level.

Reactions: mike@work

endocrinegremlin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People telling me how to control my diabetes. My health. Isms. People walking their dogs off leads in illegal areas. Meat that bleeds. Late buses.
When I had my best BGs on MDI, before that stopped working for me, I'd take at least 14 units per meal. Maybe 20. I horrified most other diabetics but it worked for me. My team was happy. I was a size 12 teenager. It was just what I needed at the time. :)

Craig1978

Depends what time of the year you ask me. Summer and Winter have huge differences for me. I am on a pump and tend to use 200 units in 3 days for basal and bolus. More than some and less than others. It doesn't matter. As long as you give your body what your body needs, that is the most important thing.

I tend to use around 110 units a day on average, but a comment was made to me recently that it seemed high. Just interested in the feedback from others, as I know it's not a exact science for everyone.

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So Craig, lay it all bare, what are these things that have led you to doubt your management?

I agree with what everyone else has said, but I'll add, basal(levemir) I take 36u split 17/19, bolus (novorapid) ratios of 1:7 (breakfast), 1:5 (lunch) and 1:6 (dinner/tea/supper or whatever you want to call it) which equates to about 35u on average.

And you most recent update has already previously answered, you take as much insulin as you need.

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
hi craig we all inject different amounts of insulin so dont think knowing what others inject will be of benifit for you .do you carb count ?

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I tend to use around 110 units a day on average, but a comment was made to me recently that it seemed high. Just interested in the feedback from others, as I know it's not a exact science for everyone.
a 110 units doesnt seem to high to me i take anything between 100/150 units a day plus basal as said as long as you are matching your insulin to carbs ratio it doesnt matter how many units you use :)

endocrinegremlin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Nothing wrong with that. Nothing at all. And your commentor needs to button it.

Reactions: slip

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
a 110 units doesnt seem to high to me i take anything between 100/150 units a day plus basal as said as long as you are matching your insulin to carbs ratio it doesnt matter how many units you use :)
sorry i meant to say 10/15 units the 110/150 was carbs ;)

Craig1978

So Craig, lay it all bare, what are these things that have led you to doubt your management?

I agree with what everyone else has said, but I'll add, basal(levemir) I take 36u split 17/19, bolus (novorapid) ratios of 1:7 (breakfast), 1:5 (lunch) and 1:6 (dinner/tea/supper or whatever you want to call it) which equates to about 35u on average.

And you most recent update has already previously answered, you take as much insulin as you need.

Without keep going on about it, it's my experience with the DVLA and driving that has made me stop and think. Having a bit of paper in front of you telling you that you do not understand Diabetes and Hypo's is a bit of a shock, but having looked at my levels, current HBA1C and what I do, I know I am acting correctly, so it was just more for feedback, piece of mind that I am doing things that people actually with T1 would view as correct/acceptable, not just someone looking at a form.

Reactions: endocrinegremlin

Craig1978

hi craig we all inject different amounts of insulin so dont think knowing what others inject will be of benifit for you .do you carb count ?

I do apprieciate that, it's was more for feedback/info as to what could be seen as acceptable. Maybe I could have worded the question a bit better!!

Reactions: porl69

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I do apprieciate that, it's was more for feedback/info as to what could be seen as acceptable. Maybe I could have worded the question a bit better!!
Acceptable is what you need to keep at a good level, if you need that amount you need that amount.

So you use more than a few of the people who have answered but the amount you need is still the amount you need.

I use a lot more than the person on the carb counting course who was on a 1:50 ratio, that doesn't mean the amounts I need are unacceptable

Last edited:

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
was just reading your DVLA thread.............................! hope you get it sorted PDQ

Reactions: Craig1978

Craig1978

was just reading your DVLA thread.............................! hope you get it sorted PDQ

Thanks, I have made some good headway today, and certainly feel better about the situation than I did over the weekend. Hopefully it may help others and serve as a bit of a warning to tread very carefully where the likes of the DVLA are concerned!

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hi, anything from around 24 to 28 units per day. 10 Tresiba, the rest, bolus, NovoRapid. So not a massive amount, as I can be sensitive to Insulin. It does differ as others have said regarding weather, also activity, work, stress and illness, amount oif carbs eaten and the types. All a bit of a juggling act and hopefully, we don't 'drop' too many balls :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Reactions: mike@work and Dodo