Fibre supplements

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Or maybe not
Interesting especially about the ketones, this is only my experience but I have found if I don't have SOME fibre (not high fibre) from above ground veggies I get constipation that in the past because of diverticular disease has lead to diverticulitis and serious infection needing antibiotics and two admissions to hospital narrowly avoiding operations both times - it was far too nasty and painful to experiment having no fibre.

Have to say I am doing nicely on keto diet getting my fibre from veggies only :)

merlin 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Interesting especially about the ketones, this is only my experience but I have found if I don't have SOME fibre (not high fibre) from above ground veggies I get constipation that in the past because of diverticular disease has lead to diverticulitis and serious infection needing antibiotics and two admissions to hospital narrowly avoiding operations both times - it was far too nasty and painful to experiment having no fibre.

Have to say I am doing nicely on keto diet getting my fibre from veggies only :)
sounds like you have been through it and good ideas

James_Donnelly

I don't get enough fibre either.

I'm going to start taking vitafibre. It's available from myprotein. Only 30 calories a serving but has 14g of fibre in it which should help bump me up to what I'm supposed to be getting.

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think fibre - like almost all dietary components - is a very individual thing. We all need to find out how much or how little works for us. Also need to factor in things like salt intake, magnesium, water, fat consumption - all can affect bowel motility.

Reactions: lovinglife

Serena51

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
bigots, racists, homophobes
Water, water, and yet more water …….4 - 5 litres will flush it all out .

Fruitella

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Recently diagnosed T2 i also have divetticullitis ive totally overhauled my diets reduced carbs included more fruit veg dairy fish poultry etc but im struggling with constipation ive tried having more fibre i just dont know what to do. any advice would be great
Would you be able to tolerate butternut squash? Works well for me. To prepare it I chop off a thick slice, peel and chop it then cook in the microwave for about 6m in a bit of water.

millenium

Type of diabetes
Carer
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Urban noise, environmental destruction

merlin 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't get enough fibre either.

I'm going to start taking vitafibre. It's available from myprotein. Only 30 calories a serving but has 14g of fibre in it which should help bump me up to what I'm supposed to be getting.
sounds good i will try this thanks

millenium

Type of diabetes
Carer
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Urban noise, environmental destruction
When taking fibre supplements, make sure u drink enough water. If not, they may form hard stool that will constipate. Psyllium work best when combine with flaxmeal in 1:1 ratio. Supplements work best with food natural fibre. Exercise will increase muscular contractions in the bowel, so do not neglect these aspects.

James_Donnelly

When taking fibre supplements, make sure u drink enough water. If not, they may form hard stool that will constipate. Psyllium work best when combine with flaxmeal in 1:1 ratio. Supplements work best with food natural fibre. Exercise will increase muscular contractions in the bowel, so do not neglect these aspects.
I tend to drink about 2L of water a day plus then whatever is it in every else I eat/drink. How much are you supposed to get?

merlin 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I
I tend to drink about 2L of water a day plus then whatever is it in every else I eat/drink. How much are you supposed to get?
drink about the same i find i feel better when i drink water some say 1.5 litres some say 2 so not totally sure.

merlin 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Sound advice much appreciated

merlin 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thankyou so much im glad ive found somewhere for great advice

Serena51

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
bigots, racists, homophobes
I drink mainly water but 5 litres ounds excessive for the body to tolerate.
10 glasses in a day will work clearing the blockage but don't do on a regular daily basis. Maybe once a week if necessary, if not working get medical advice.

Devonmade

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
meat
I too have been suffering with diverticulitis, more so I feel since reducing carbs. The husk someone mentioned above, isn't Fybogel from the doc the same thing? If so, I might ask about it as I am over 60