Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people.
Bullying
Obsessions and extremism
Hi

Just been moved onto Humulin M3 from Humulin I. I understand the difference and will be monitoring regularly. However, not sure how quickly the bolus element kicks in, i.e what is the optimal time before meals to take it? Typical scenario - meeting friends for meal out; may be an hour or more between leaving home and eating, so should I inject while out, or before setting out?

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi

Just been moved onto Humulin M3 from Humulin I. I understand the difference and will be monitoring regularly. However, not sure how quickly the bolus element kicks in, i.e what is the optimal time before meals to take it? Typical scenario - meeting friends for meal out; may be an hour or more between leaving home and eating, so should I inject while out, or before setting out?
Sorry Annie, I can't help you with any info, but my post will bring your thread into better view, as folks come online.

James1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Is in not supposed to be 15 mins before you eat
That’s what I was told by DSN I think

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Hi

The manufacturers recommend 20 to 30 minutes before eating. I advise exercising some caution when eating out as I once waited an hour to be served after injecting - it was quite interesting watching glucose levels and feeling myself getting closer to a hypo with every minute that passed!