Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If I were scaremongering I'd write what I can remember of how my grandmother suffered the complications of diabetes under the doting care of my father and grandfather.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Once every so often (Aero) is not going to kill the guy and moreover, highly unlikely to make any kind of dent in the HbA1c if it’s no more than once every week or so. Of course everyone handles things in different ways but there are some real scaremongers on these sites it seems.
Some of us, including me, find carbs are addictive. The more we have, the more we crave them. Chocolate and sugary stuff seems to be a major culprit for this.

I have had to cut anything like that out of my diet, due to this craving issue. Not everyone has this problem, but it seems sensible to mention the possibility of this happening. I was unaware of the link between sweet things and carb cravings until someone on here pointed it out to me.

Mollyc1995

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Some of us, including me, find carbs are addictive. The more we have, the more we crave them. Chocolate and sugary stuff seems to be a major culprit for this.

I have had to cut anything like that out of my diet, due to this craving issue. Not everyone has this problem, but it seems sensible to mention the possibility of this happening. I was unaware of the link between sweet things and carb cravings until someone on here pointed it out to me.

Everyone is just different I guess, I don’t tend to eat a lot of sweet things or carbs, I don’t find I crave carbs but if I sometime fancy brown rice or wholewheat pasta I will have some but no more than half a cup, I find I feel more satisfied and don’t feel like I’m gonna Raid all the carb stuff, also rice and pasta don’t actually affect my blood sugars into huge spikes as I’ve tested multiple times but I still watch the carbs in general

Mollyc1995

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Once every so often (Aero) is not going to kill the guy and moreover, highly unlikely to make any kind of dent in the HbA1c if it’s no more than once every week or so. Of course everyone handles things in different ways but there are some real scaremongers on these sites it seems.
No I do t ususally eat aero or standard size chocolate bars, I ususally go for the little treat size ones as i know they don’t affect my bs going sky high

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Everyone is just different I guess, I don’t tend to eat a lot of sweet things or carbs, I don’t find I crave carbs but if I sometime fancy brown rice or wholewheat pasta I will have some but no more than half a cup, I find I feel more satisfied and don’t feel like I’m gonna Raid all the carb stuff, also rice and pasta don’t actually affect my blood sugars into huge spikes as I’ve tested multiple times but I still watch the carbs in general

I suggest that you do not have cravings for carbs because you are still having them but as you say we are all different so each to their own.

Major Buckmaster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Stuff
No I do t ususally eat aero or standard size chocolate bars, I ususally go for the little treat size ones as i know they don’t affect my bs going sky high

I’m the same as you. Although I don’t eat pasta or potatoes I have a slice of low carb bread and today I have a couple of spoonfuls of rice and that is fine for me.

I also eat milk chocolate. I have no intention of giving it up. I have small amounts occasionally and it works for me.

Reactions: Listlad

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Fortunately I don’t have cravings either. I just like to eat, where possible, food that I enjoy. Enjoyable food of course isn’t entirely necessary but it sure helps if it is. I had an apple today. OMG. I enjoy apples and can fit it into a diet that is appropriate for my needs.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I cannot see anything wrong with that.

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
As in does it seem like a healthy diet
Since you asked...I don't think the quinoa, rice and aero bar are very healthy. Also that's not a lot of calories (around 1,400). And I'd add some red meat.

Mollyc1995

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Since you asked...I don't think the quinoa, rice and aero bar are very healthy. Also that's not a lot of calories (around 1,400). And I'd add some red meat.

I don’t eat meat only fish, and although the calories aren’t a lot I don’t feel hungry in between meals, I have a lot of veggies, some fruits and small amounts of carbohydrates

Reactions: Pinkorchid

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don’t eat meat only fish, and although the calories aren’t a lot I don’t feel hungry in between meals, I have a lot of veggies, some fruits and small amounts of carbohydrates
Are you avoiding meat for "health" reasons?

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was diagnosed in September 2016. I weighed 73 kilos and my HA1BC was 12. (Can’t remember the equivalent). Despite having a family history of type 2 diabetes I was unaware of this site but using my ‘common sense’ immediately limited myself to a maximum of 120 g of carbs per day. After 3 months my HA1BC was 45 and after 7 months I weighed 60 kilos. My HA1BC remained 45 until 3 months ago it went down to 41. I do test myself and it seems to be fine still. If I do get a high reading, usually after eating away from home, it goes down to an acceptable level after 3/4 hours. This what I eat and what I don’t.
Breakfast. 2 extremely thin slices of low GI seeded bread toasted with cheese and butter or small folded seeded flatbread with butter and scraping of sugar free peanut butter or Greek yoghurt with or without a few berries or a 1/4 teaspoon of lime curd.
Lunch Greek salad or soup or eggs or toast (if yoghurt for breakfast) or even a scone or toasted tea cake on occasion!
Dinner anything except potatoes( apart from a couple of pre-cooked and then fried new potatoes) rice pasta more bread or other beige carbs. I do occasionally have approx 5 oven chips with no effect on my BG. Ditto precooked and reheated rice - tablespoonful or so. I don’t restrict myself to above ground veg, although I have small portions of parsnip for example. Pudding is Greek yoghurt with berries or sometimes other fruits during the week, a small amount of ‘normal’ pudding at the weekends especially ice cream. Snacks consist of Nature Valley protein bars or Babybel cheeses or nuts. This what I’ve done since diagnosis. It’s not exceptionally low carb and certainly not Keto but it works for me.
I think that you diet sounds good and if it works for you thats all that matters whatever others may or may not do and an HbA1c of 41 is what a lot of members here would like to have

Last edited:

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My mother in law, who is 66 yo is quite a trim lady and her diet comprises fish, vegetables and a cup full of rice as in a cup of cooked rice). She doesn’t have diabetes though. But both her and her parents follow that formula pretty closely.

Mollyc1995

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Meat is bad for your health? It's great for mine.

There’s plenty of evidence and studies that show eating less/no meat is better for your health, I felt bad consuming meat and I used to always feel weird after eating it.

Reactions: andi2508

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There’s plenty of evidence and studies that show eating less/no meat is better for your health,.
Would you care to share some scientific evidence that this is the case?
ETA I've eaten meat as part of a varied diet for probably 75 years now and the only foods that have been bad for my health have been the few that used to trigger food related migraines, and more recently too many carbohydrates.

Robbity

Last edited:
Reactions: Krystyna23040