Regular moderate exercise log

Emma_369

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all. 64 lengths tonight and I’m officially half way through the Swim22 challenge. 708 lengths down, another 708 to go :)

Controlnow

No I don’t have those issues it more of a motivational thing sort of...it felt like the 3 times a day was hanging over me everyday and I don’t want to feel like that I want to feel good about doing it opposed to it feeling forced. Not sure I have explained it well...I felt better about it today because it was done first thing so not hanging over me for the rest of the day.

Yes a heart monitor is a good idea.

I misspoke I am classed as Clinically Obese(BMI >30) I just didn’t realise when I read your response. I thought it was the next category up from me(I am still getting use to all the terms). I must admit I am not a great fan of labels, I don’t always think they are helpful. If I think of myself as clinically obese it make me feel really sad. If I think of myself as someone who needs to loose some weight n is doing something about it then I feel happier.

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello, and welcome to the thread @Controlnow !

Three years into this walking caper, I do mostly manage three walks a day and most of them have a fast ten minutes in them somewhere, plus most of my walks now have a purpose to them other than the perennial "it's good for my blood sugars and weight maintenance".

I really get the motivational thing. I mentally get very resistant to doing anything exercise related if I think it's just exercise, but if I've got another reason such as getting to and from work, which I could do on the bus, shopping - where I'm adding in weight training carrying it all back uphill,- taking photos for various reasons, doing one of my "silly little challenges" (not got one on the go at the moment other than picking up any loose change I find for the church penny pot) or just the fun of shocking medical professionals with my step count when they suggest I don't do any proper exercise. A gentle "When did you last walk 22 miles in a day?" has a splendid effect and usually segues into a rapid panic that I must be getting my insulin "wrong" for exercise which I can prove I'm not as it's been a while since I had a hypo whilst out walking that amount of miles. I smile, nod my head, point out the stats and carry on doing what works.

Controlnow

Hello, and welcome to the thread @Controlnow !

Three years into this walking caper, I do mostly manage three walks a day and most of them have a fast ten minutes in them somewhere, plus most of my walks now have a purpose to them other than the perennial "it's good for my blood sugars and weight maintenance".

I really get the motivational thing. I mentally get very resistant to doing anything exercise related if I think it's just exercise, but if I've got another reason such as getting to and from work, which I could do on the bus, shopping - where I'm adding in weight training carrying it all back uphill,- taking photos for various reasons, doing one of my "silly little challenges" (not got one on the go at the moment other than picking up any loose change I find for the church penny pot) or just the fun of shocking medical professionals with my step count when they suggest I don't do any proper exercise. A gentle "When did you last walk 22 miles in a day?" has a splendid effect and usually segues into a rapid panic that I must be getting my insulin "wrong" for exercise which I can prove I'm not as it's been a while since I had a hypo whilst out walking that amount of miles. I smile, nod my head, point out the stats and carry on doing what works.

Thanks for the welcome Japes. Lol I like the bit about shocking medical professionals. What "silly little challenges" have you done?

Yes I use to walk just over 5 miles a day going to and from work but I am home based now so having to change my thinking about getting myself out. I like your thought those thanks for sharing.

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Ooo... There's
  • "Pick up Elastic Bands and Hairbands" as I'm walking along.
  • Cross the road only where there is tactile pavementing or dropped kerbs. (Can add a lot of extra steps where there is bad parking...also means I can sympathise more with my students who are visually impaired, in a wheelchair, or both!) Usually combined with
  • Cross the road only at designated crossing points. That can also add a lot of miles.
  • Keep walking until a bus and you coincide at the bus stop - or rather, when I turn round and can see one coming. That can work both ways...
  • Lots of going up and down stairs with one item at a time on a day stuck inside.
  • Putting the laundry away one item at a time can add a lot of steps also on a day stuck inside.
  • Going the "scenic" route. I've been known to do two miles to get to the shop 10 minutes away...

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Haven’t posted for a few days so a quick summary
Today was swimming - 30 mins non stop lengths, (around 40 I reckon but didn’t count.)
Yesterday 75min yoga
Sunday20 mins indoor weights plus a bit of skipping in the garden when I got a bit bored.
Steps have been dwindling as neuropathic L foot pain has found it’s way back. Got another appt with the reflexologist tomorrow so hope that’ll help for a bit again.
Hi @Controlnow well done for deciding to post here. I like your attitude - someone who is actively doing something positive to help improve your health rather than giving yourself an unhelpful and a faintly depressing label. I look forward to reading how you’re getting on.
I also know exactly what you mean about the 3 lots of 10 minutes weighing down on you - I also prefer to get things over and done with so anything else is a bonus.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
11.4k steps and swimming lesson. Unsure whether dog walking steps are "useful" but tomorrow should see restart of grass cutting which is useful exercise. Also kind of on topic, if men are supposed to require 2500 cals per day no wonder we have increasing average weight. At 6 feet and bmi of 22.2 to 4 I could never burn that many calories.

Controlnow

I did 35 minutes brisk walking today then a few sets of squats at home. I know muscle burns calories pretty much constantly and in your 30’s you start to loose muscle. So the plan is to build up some muscle and where better to start than with the biggest the legs muscles. :0)

johnpol

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
A day off the gym yesterday and as I had an unscheduled day off decided to take Sid "The Kid" (our Bulldog) for a small trundle, cue 11,000 steps and one knackered owner and one mildly tired dog!! spent the rest of the day on the couch like a true unfit Legend!! And had the dog laid on me too!

Take care everyone.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
11.4k steps and 45 mins on exercise bike. Nothing of great intensity but gently increasing volume so inching very slowly towards where I was at the turn of the year. Painfully slow process regaining basic fitness when things slip for whatever reason.

Numan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
15 mile intervals on the gym bike at 6:30 this morning, 590 calories used before breakfast

Reactions: zauberflote

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
14k steps, 80 minutes grass cutting and 30 minutes strimming mostly in the ditch. No use for bg control seemingly and wouldn't even be a morning's work - bit embarrassing really but currently all I am good for. Still, I live to fight another day.

Last edited:

Emma_369

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Only 44 lengths tonight. Shoulder pain spreading across the back of my neck into my left. More mind over matter needed tomorrow me thinks :angelic:

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
@Controlnow I know EXACTLY what you mean by hanging over you. One and done feels so much better! Your positive attitude will take you a long way, and keep us all cheered up while we’re at it.
@ianpspurs I think they increased the cal requirement just like they changed all the weight charts when more people had increased weight. I saw an American movie from 1962 yesterday, and the three children in it were stick-thin. As we all were then! The “fat kid” in 3rd grade would now be classed as low normal weight. I haven’t seen a stick thin kid in a very long time. And hurray on the bike! Hoping things stay stable now for you.
Splish splosh gasp heave snort @Emma_369 ! Keep going girl!!!! But very careful on the shoulder please.
@Japes I loooove your challenges! The laundrty one,,,, if I did that, I’d need bilateral knee replacement next month!
@DJC3 how many skips you up to now?
I’ve missed some days here but not going to try to make up. Tonight I set out with vim and vigor to do the 3 mile walk. Got home to discover that I’d left out the little leg which boosts it to 3 miles... ah well. Pushed it all the way; a few splits were personal best for this iteration of walking. Did a little demi-jogging, in which both feet never leave the ground at the same time. Beginning to get depressed about what is very likely arthritis in my knees.
Saw cardiologist today specifically about electrolyte balance. She got all het up about lipids, but did suggest one more thing for the leg cramps - stretch reallllly well just before bed. Right. Another 20+ minutes added to my already 2-hr bedtime routine. Sheesh. But if it works....