Help please

Amina9191

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,
I’m kinda new to this forums, made my account a few years ago but hardly on this site. So I’m 27 years old and I’ve been a type 1 diabetic since I was 10. I had an appointment with my diabetic nurse regarding my recent blood test, my Hbc1a was 5.9, however I got told that there was protein in my urine, cholesterol was slightly above the normal range and my blood pressure was 140/ 89. The nurse wants me to start taking blood pressure pills. I’m freaking out, my diet is good however there are a few things that I could cut out of my diet such as crisps, bread, pasta. I’m not going to lie even though my blood levels are really good most of the time, I still eat a lot of carbs. Is there anyone whos type 1 who’s currently taking pressure pills?

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm type 2 with hypertension, on two meds (ramipril and amlodipine). I have no issues with either of them, although some people do report side effects. My BP still varies from 125/72 to 145ish/80ish, depending on whether or not the meds are due. I take ramipril first thing in the morning, and amlodipine at night. There's another thread discussing BP at the moment, but I just wanted to reassure you that BP meds can be side-effect free (for me at least!)

I don't fit exercise in to my daily life as well as I could, but when I have managed to maintain a fairly easy level of regular aerobic exercise, my BP responded by falling nicely. Could you give that a go, and ask the DN to reassess in a month or two? Also monitoring at home is a great idea because the readings at the surgery are often elevated due to "white coat syndrome", or in my case, "Crikey, someone's taking my blood pressure! Eeek! I bet it's going to be high!"

smc4761

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Welcome to the forum.

I have been type 1 for 38 years and about 15 years ago I started taking tablets for high blood pressure. For me there have been no side effects. I also take statins for my cholesterol and my levels are excellent, below 3.5. I have no qualms about atking any medication that will help me.

I have cut down on my carbs in last year, halving my carb intake, by pretty much cutting out bread, pasta rice and potatoes usually 4/5 days of week

Amina9191

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I’m a nursing student so I’m always on my feet doing long shifts, plus I’ve got a part time job so I’m always active. I’m going to try to cut down on carbs as much as possible and see if anything changes. If not I guess I’ve got no choice but to go on them, but I feel like I’m way to young to be taking them, it’s actually scaring me.
Thanks for the advice

D

Deleted Account

Regarding your high BP, was this a single reading or have you had a 24 hour test?
This made a difference to the result for me.

Amina9191

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Everyone I see my DN and she does my blood pressure it always tend to be high for some reason. I had the 24 hour blood pressure monitor done a few months ago and the doctor told me I didn’t need to go on anything after seeing my results. I feel like the nurse was kinda pushing me to go on them.

Lynne C J

Type of diabetes
Type 1
If you can, buy a wrist blood pressure monitor and check your BP at home. My BP is low when I check at home, different story at the GP surgery, good old white coat effect. If your BP is fine at home you can resist taking medication. Good luck

smc4761

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Everyone I see my DN and she does my blood pressure it always tend to be high for some reason. I had the 24 hour blood pressure monitor done a few months ago and the doctor told me I didn’t need to go on anything after seeing my results. I feel like the nurse was kinda pushing me to go on them.

The same thing happens with me and many others. The "technical name" for this is white coat syndrome. You go and see doctor/nurse and this causes your BP to rise. I normally get them to take another reading shortly after the first one and it is generally lower.

I did have a 24 hour BP monitor and my BP remained fairly steady all of the time

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
I've been on blood pressure pills since my mid twenties (no side effects that I'm aware of) after several months of too high readings. So I've been taking them for over 30 years now, (T1 for 49 years), and I've still got negligible diabetic side effects (bit of on again off again retinopathy that's never needed treatment). Given that both diabetes and high blood pressure damage your kidneys, I can understand the nurse's knee jerk reaction, though I agree I'd want to rule out white coat syndrome before taking the medications.

cassie091

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Type 1 on insulin for 60 years. Blood pressure spasmodically high for about 2/3 years. Thought it might be white-coat syndrome. DN suggested 24 hr BP monitor. Went to get it and told nurse about feeling bad a few days before. Heart was pounding, dreadful pain on left side of neck forcing me to lie on floor as unable to walk or stand. Pain went but collapsed on kitchen floor. ECG showed heart beating at more than twice normal rate. GP phoned hospital and saw cardiologist next day. Heart murmur also detected. She told me I have atrial fibrillation. Have had echocardiogram to discover cause of murmur. Waiting for results of that. Now on beta-blockers and anti-coagulants. Cardiologist said I was at high risk of having a stroke. Is this all caused by having type 1 diabetes for so many years. Doctor said it could play a part but it is most probably aging. Everything wears out in time. I am 76 and rarely need to see a doctor for anything apart from diabetes check-ups.
You would probably benefit by getting a BP monitor and taking readings at home when you are less stressed.

barbarapreston

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Large dogs, loud music and bad language
Type 1 on insulin for 60 years. Blood pressure spasmodically high for about 2/3 years. Thought it might be white-coat syndrome. DN suggested 24 hr BP monitor. Went to get it and told nurse about feeling bad a few days before. Heart was pounding, dreadful pain on left side of neck forcing me to lie on floor as unable to walk or stand. Pain went but collapsed on kitchen floor. ECG showed heart beating at more than twice normal rate. GP phoned hospital and saw cardiologist next day. Heart murmur also detected. She told me I have atrial fibrillation. Have had echocardiogram to discover cause of murmur. Waiting for results of that. Now on beta-blockers and anti-coagulants. Cardiologist said I was at high risk of having a stroke. Is this all caused by having type 1 diabetes for so many years. Doctor said it could play a part but it is most probably aging. Everything wears out in time. I am 76 and rarely need to see a doctor for anything apart from diabetes check-ups.
You would probably benefit by getting a BP monitor and taking readings at home when you are less stressed.

barbarapreston

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Large dogs, loud music and bad language
I too have high blood pressure but it is very well controlled with amlodipine bendrflumethiazide and losartan potassium.I think it's too do with ageing as I am nearly 76 and type 1 for 65 years.Ihave nothing else wrong with me and God may think that being diabetic is enough for anyone!!One point about white coat syndrome is to think like nervous speakers are advised ---pretend they are naked (the audience not the speaker!)

Reactions: Fairygodmother

hodders

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,
I’m kinda new to this forums, made my account a few years ago but hardly on this site. So I’m 27 years old and I’ve been a type 1 diabetic since I was 10. I had an appointment with my diabetic nurse regarding my recent blood test, my Hbc1a was 5.9, however I got told that there was protein in my urine, cholesterol was slightly above the normal range and my blood pressure was 140/ 89. The nurse wants me to start taking blood pressure pills. I’m freaking out, my diet is good however there are a few things that I could cut out of my diet such as crisps, bread, pasta. I’m not going to lie even though my blood levels are really good most of the time, I still eat a lot of carbs. Is there anyone whos type 1 who’s currently taking pressure pills?
Hi
Read up about an isometric hand grip or dynamometer. I began using one after watching Dr Michael Moseley. Using it daily has really brought my BP down and I am a type 1 and nearly 60. My BP before use was 150/85 it is now 126/77. Certaintly worth investing.

WJP1055

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Sugar, being overweight
I've been T1D for for 50+years and having been told to wear a BR monitor for 24hrs after my routine check-up was prescribed 5mg tablets of Ramipril to take daily. I've not had any ill-effects from taking them. I also take 20mg tablet of Atorvastatin for cholesterol even-though when I was checked my reading was only 5.5. I didn't get on with Simvastatin they caused severe pain in my leg muscles.

Bluey1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who try and make Diabetes the centre of the party and poor me, I'm special because I have diabetes now everyone run around after me.
Try more cardio exercise, I got my blood pressure down. Walking is good exercise, but your really need to get the blood vessels stretching. Only do this sort of exercise with permission from your medical team.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I've been on blood pressure pills since my mid twenties (no side effects that I'm aware of) after several months of too high readings. So I've been taking them for over 30 years now, (T1 for 49 years), and I've still got negligible diabetic side effects (bit of on again off again retinopathy that's never needed treatment). Given that both diabetes and high blood pressure damage your kidneys, I can understand the nurse's knee jerk reaction, though I agree I'd want to rule out white coat syndrome before taking the medications.
I’ve been on them since my mid twenties too - Rampril worked well but I developed a cough so was put onto Losartan - 50mg ok but when they couldn’t get the 50mg I had 2x25mg which caused a severe reaction so have been on candasartan 8mg for approx 5 years and have had no side effects. I use a home monitor and give the readings to my GP every 6 months.

Amina9191

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for all the advice.
If worse comes to worse I’ll have no choice but to go on them. But I’m going to give myself 2 months to try and lower my bp naturally. I’m going to try and cut as much carbs and salt out as possible, and hope for the best.