Am i Prediabetic? Confused

tombo_83

Hi, any thoughts or advice would be very much appreciated.
I'm a 35 year old male, have a very good diet and exercise a lot (7 days per week). I've always considered myself very healthy.
Recently i've been having some blurry vision and also periods of low energy especially in the morning.

I asked my GP about the possibility of diabetes when i was there regarding another issue, and they asked me the standard questions (diet, exercise and weight) etc and said that i was unlikely to be a candidate for diabetes.

I decided to go and buy myself a blood glucose meter - Accu Chek anyway

My fasting first thing in the morning readings are regularly 5.5, 5.8, 6.0 (highest morning reading)

After eating breakfast and waiting a 3 / 4 hours 5.5, 5.8,5.3 - at this point i'm pretty hungry and looking forward to lunch.

1 hour after eating a large lunch and a very sugary snack (not my normal diet, but i wanted to induce a spike to see how quickly i recovered) 6.0 dropping back down to 5.5 after 2 hours.

My confusion comes from the relatively high readings in the mornings (never below 5.3) and then a quick recovery it would seem. My readings don't seem to be low, but at the same time don't seem to be high also?

Is it possible that i just have a high fasting reading?

Slightly worried about the possibility of being prediabetic as i have a very good diet currently, which i'm not sure can really be improved, i'm not overweight and i'm physically very fit. I run 40 - 60km per week. I'm really interested in nutrition and take good care of myself. Confusing...

Any thoughts would be appreciated

Thanks

Tom

Vino lad

According to the guidelines for fasting for non diabetics ,you are fine if below 6 .
So,looking ok to me.
I was 5.8 this week in NHS and I am "normal" ,lucky it wasn't a psychiatric test.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The UK diagnosis "rules" for pre-diabetes is a fasting glucose test of 5.5 to 6.9, or a 2 hour post prandial test is 7.8 to 11.

As you are concerned, I would ask your GP for a fasting plasma glucose test and an HbA1c. Diagnosis is usually only made after an HbA1c or an oral glucose tolerance test. (Where you drink 75g of pure glucose on a fasted stomach and are tested before the drink and at intervals up to 2 hours after that in the surgery.)

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes_care/blood-sugar-level-ranges.html