Oh help... jus starting out ...

Croxdale

Hi i hate cooking and ready meals easy recipies snacks drinks.. info greatly needed feel overwhelmed ..no idea what amount carbs im allowed please help
Kindest regards x

M

Member496333

Hi @Croxdale. What are you trying to achieve? Generally speaking, proper dietary ketosis is very much a whole food diet where you make everything from whole, unprocessed ingredients. Some people call this “clean keto” whereas the alternative, or “dirty keto” focuses on the carbohydrate content and little else. The latter approach is doubtless better suited to ready meals and snacks, whereas the former will be far better for your overall health, but will involve getting handy in the kitchen. I can’t recommend dirty keto but others may have more experience with it.

From a purely carbohydrate related standpoint, most people find they need to remain under 50g per day.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi i hate cooking and ready meals easy recipies snacks drinks.. info greatly needed feel overwhelmed ..no idea what amount carbs im allowed please help
Kindest regards x
So if you are overwhelmed but have decided to change up your diet to improve your health (a great idea) then try and change up 1 meal at a time maybe?
Diet Doctor is an excellent source of recipes for each meal that are low carb/keto but I would not get too hung up on achieving some magic number of carbs over just getting started and getting consistent with at least 1 meal before you try and make more changes. Depending on where you are staring from and how you got there then eating whole foods is likely to be a significant improvement on ready meals.
It is also possible to step off the high board with all of this but I'd only recommend this if you are severely diabetic and very overweight.
Since you say you're a newbie that implies you're newly diagnosed you should be hopeful of getting started now rather than having to do a lot more drastic work later!
Come back and ask any specific questions and I am sure this lovely community will share their tips. Good luck.

Reactions: seanj67 and Shas3

nettie 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi
It does get easier so hang in there.
If you are trying to lose weight then you will need to cut portion sizes and cut out sugar (carbs)
It took me a few months to get into the diet fully. I just did it one step at a time. I first learnt to cut out all the food with sugar/ carbs which include bread, pasta, rice and anything with flour. Then I started to cut portion sizes.
I have attached my diet plan from my dietitian which worked well for me, which is attached. 30 carbs per meal I am D2
After 1 1/2 years I am now in remission. My weight went from 13.2 stone to 10.6 stone and mmol went from 90 to 39.
I would recommend joining the free web site "everdayIdreamaboutfood". She has some great recipes and even though some of her food items are not available here (New Zealand) I have learnt to substitute or buy on the web. Also try to get hold of the book called "What the fat". On You Tube, check out "headbangers kitchen". He is very entertaining and has lots of suitable recipes.
For nibbles at 4pm or later in the evening I eat, a few ***** bears (sugar free), a small handful of peanuts, ice blocks made with yoghurt or sugar free lemonade, cheese, sugar free biscuits (from alldayidreamaboutfood) bliss balls and even the odd glass of wine.
The paleo diet has more restrictions than the keto diet.
Good luck
Diana

Attachments

• diet plan_resized.jpg
    diet plan_resized.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 595

FluffD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi I’m a newbie to both this forum and diabetes and I’m not sure I’m in the right place.. I was just diagnosed as type 2 in feb 19 and was given medication, Gliclazide, told to take it twice a day but wasn’t given any dietary advice , I was given a meter so I could continue to drive, but told only to test before I drove. Totally overwhelmed I came home and hit the internet for as much info as I could find, but there is so much and it’s all different, I decided after much reading to try the LCHF and it brought my BGLs down from 23.5 to roughly 5.5 - 7.9 over course of 3 weeks and I also managed to lose weight, I was really pleased, felt I was managing it well then found out that I shouldn’t be doing this due to type of medication I’m on.. now I don’t know what to do, haven’t had any hypos but BGL has been very low at points.. neither am I sure if it’s too early to go back to GP and ask them to reduce meds as I’m not due to see them again until April.. any suggestions as to what I might be doing wrong or how I can adjust my diet again to get best of both worlds ie lose weight and keep BGL low.. sorry if this isn’t the right place to be asking this but getting frustrated and confused.

Last edited:
Reactions: Evie-D and Shas3

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
If you are getting low blood glucose then you need to alter your medication - reducing the amount of extra insulin your pancreas is producing in response to the Gliclazide.
If you go back to the GP with those results you should get some guidance about dosage.

Reactions: Shas3

FluffD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you for replying.. I have read that Gp”s can be reluctant to change medication in such a short time, and was wondering if I could try skipping my morning dose and test regularly to see if it keeps stable, can always take meds at lunch time if there is a large hike in BSL.
Or do I just increase my carb intake, which for me would defeat the purpose in trying to lose weight which is part of the problem,

Shas3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi
If you are trying to lose weight then you will need to cut portion sizes and cut out sugar (carbs)
It took me a few months to get into the diet fully. I just did it one step at a time. I first learnt to cut out all the food with sugar/ carbs which include bread, pasta, rice and anything with flour. Then I started to cut portion sizes.
I have attached my diet plan from my dietitian which worked well for me, which is attached. 30 carbs per meal I am D2
After 1 1/2 years I am now in remission. My weight went from 13.2 stone to 10.6 stone and mmol went from 90 to 39.
I would recommend joining the free web site "everdayIdreamaboutfood". She has some great recipes and even though some of her food items are not available here (New Zealand) I have learnt to substitute or buy on the web. Also try to get hold of the book called "What the fat". On You Tube, check out "headbangers kitchen". He is very entertaining and has lots of suitable recipes.
For nibbles at 4pm or later in the evening I eat, a few ***** bears (sugar free), a small handful of peanuts, ice blocks made with yoghurt or sugar free lemonade, cheese, sugar free biscuits (from alldayidreamaboutfood) bliss balls and even the odd glass of wine.
Good luck
Diana
Thanks. I am stealing that diet plan

Reactions: Evie-D

Shas3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi I’m a newbie to both this forum and diabetes and I’m not sure I’m in the right place.. I was just diagnosed as type 2 in feb 19 and was given medication, Gliclazide, told to take it twice a day but wasn’t given any dietary advice , I was given a meter so I could continue to drive, but told only to test before I drove. Totally overwhelmed I came home and hit the internet for as much info as I could find, but there is so much and it’s all different, I decided after much reading to try the LCHF and it brought my BGLs down from 23.5 to roughly 5.5 - 7.9 over course of 3 weeks and I also managed to lose weight, I was really pleased, felt I was managing it well then found out that I shouldn’t be doing this due to type of medication I’m on.. now I don’t know what to do, haven’t had any hypos but BGL has been very low at points.. neither am I sure if it’s too early to go back to GP and ask them to reduce meds as I’m not due to see them again until April.. any suggestions as to what I might be doing wrong or how I can adjust my diet again to get best of both worlds ie lose weight and keep BGL low.. sorry if this isn’t the right place to be asking this but getting frustrated and confused.
Hi

Firsyly you are in the right community and very helpful. Dont get overwhelmed. Take your time and this friendly community will provide tremendous support.

About meds.. nobody here will recommend changes as you need to do that in discussion with medical professionals.

Your numbers definitely are looking good. If your numbers are good and you are phydically feeling good, then you should not worry.

If you are changing diet, which you are, i would think it is better to not change drastically.. experiment, measure, learn and discuss with your doc in next visit she may adjust dosage depending on your diet plan.

Good luck

Reactions: PamJHS

FluffD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi

Firsyly you are in the right community and very helpful. Dont get overwhelmed. Take your time and this friendly community will provide tremendous support.

About meds.. nobody here will recommend changes as you need to do that in discussion with medical professionals.

Your numbers definitely are looking good. If your numbers are good and you are phydically feeling good, then you should not worry.

If you are changing diet, which you are, i would think it is better to not change drastically.. experiment, measure, learn and discuss with your doc in next visit she may adjust dosage depending on your diet plan.

Good luck
The biggest problem I’m having is that my BG
Hi

Good luck
the biggest problem I’m having at moment is my BSL are remaing pretty stable throughout the day, until bedtime then my BSL drop to as low as 3.3 . I always have snack at around 9.30/10.00pm then an hour later level is really low which mean I then have eat again which I don’t want to have too due to it being so late but then I get all anxious I case it drops even further while I’m sleeping, and then I’m too worried about going to sleep, and then I’m up later than intended in order to test.. these are the things they don’t fully explain to you when they hand your meds.. sorry for ranting

Shas3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The biggest problem I’m having is that my BG

the biggest problem I’m having at moment is my BSL are remaing pretty stable throughout the day, until bedtime then my BSL drop to as low as 3.3 . I always have snack at around 9.30/10.00pm then an hour later level is really low which mean I then have eat again which I don’t want to have too due to it being so late but then I get all anxious I case it drops even further while I’m sleeping, and then I’m too worried about going to sleep, and then I’m up later than intended in order to test.. these are the things they don’t fully explain to you when they hand your meds.. sorry for ranting

I see. I am sure someone more experienced maybe able to provide some insight. I agree it is not helpful that they didn’t fully explain.

I would feel uncomfortable changing medication without discussion with someone knowledgeable, but that is me. In fact last month i was struggling with strange hunger, thirst issues and I suspected it was Farxiga but felt very uncomfortable stopping. After struggling for two weeks when i went to the doctor he says “side effects of Forxiga.. stop it”. And i was like.. Uggh.. I should have done it last week.

Anyway, If bed time BSL is low maybe you should look at what you are eating at dinner or snack. Some protein and good fat probably? Maybe someone more knowledgeable will chip in.

Sorry I guess this was not very helpful

M

Member496333

Generally speaking, insulin resistant diabetics shouldn’t need to eat in order to prevent hypoglycaemia. If this is happening then medications need reducing (with professional medical support). If this doesn’t work then the patient needs to be referred to an endocrinologist.

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Kindest regards x

Frying a chop or steak in coconut oil or butter is pretty close to a Keto 'ready made meal' in my own (cook) book! And pork slices/pork belly, frying up the rind is great for very easy snacking. If you are an avocado fan - those beauties provide great quick keto eats.

Bacon and eggs for breakfast. Can't get much more Keto than that. Very easy.

Does entail a fry pan and a flip. But can this even be called cooking? :D.

Morning snack? Coffee with big dollop of whipped cream - mmmmm.

And any time, Keto-time - cheese. If you are dairy-tolerant. Cheese, more cheese, cheeses galore, and top it up with cheese!

To be honest, a transition to as low-carbs as I can go (plus berries - can't drop the berries! Too much of a sweet tooth - and me with diabetes - who knew??!!) - meant coming to love a well-planned kitchen. As in, yes, cooking. Because I just love good food and good eating. And I can't get good low-carb/Keto food any other way but to prepare it and cook it myself, outside of good Keto/low-carb choices eating out.

Herr Svea also cooks Keto and Low-carb, but not often enough. But later I wondered, immediately post diagnosis, rather than learning to cook all over again and cooking a lot, why I didn't just cook up meat as simply as possible, and open a packet of pre-prepared salad and pour vinegars and olive oil on it (naturally I turf the salad dressing that comes with it - too high in carbs/sugar.) This I do a lot today, especially during BBQ season. So this I recommend to you! (Whether it's on a BBQ or in a fry pan in a kitchen.)

Reactions: DawnOfTheZed

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Hi
Good luck
Diana

Kia ora nettie 2/Diana! Nice to see another Kiwi in the Keto sub-forum.

And I was blown away that you got given a Keto diet plan here in Kiwiland, in order to lower your blood glucose levels. Then I clicked on the diet plan you attached and see it isn't Keto at all, and the usual high carb fare, but in small portions. Not Paleo either I might add! (I started out Paleo, as a way to go moderate carb, and still think there is much good things to be said about going Paleo generally and specifically for those with T2D.)

But that diet plan, a small portions of usual carby fare, worked well for you! If indeed your HBA1c of non diabetic levels at 39, was by diet only? It would not work for me, alas. As nor would small portions (I have a rather hearty appetite). Are you saying that you started out small portions of carby food, then cut out carbs and went Keto via the wonderful 'What the fat?' book and recipes? Thereby losing weight and a LOT of blood glucose! Well done Diana.

FluffD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Can I just say a big thank you to all on this forum, the information has been great, and I am so glad I found it. Took your advice and have made an appointment to see GP tomorrow. However on Sunday evening I genuinely forgot to take tablet at evening meal and when I remembered it was late on and this left me in a bit anxious as I then didn’t want to take it so late incase it kicked in during the night so I decided to leave and take my next dose the following morning. On testing the next morning BSL was 4.5 so I decided to skip next dose and check regularly through course of the day, BSL remained stable with a small spike 2 hours after dinner and then back down to 5.8 before bed, this morning it was 5.00 and then 4.8 and I’m just about to test again shortly, if BSL at next test are within normal range what is going on? This is leading me to think that I must still be able to produce some of my own insulin as have had no meds since Sunday morning, and ideas of how I should approach my Gp tomorrow with these results.

FluffD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Have just completed test and have a reading of 7.1 I guess this means that it’s just going to keep creeping up, did have a bit more at dinner than I usually have. So do I Keep trying to manage it through diet or just accept that I’ll need to take the meds, is there different meds they can give you?
Sorry for going on but just talking out my thoughts.. any thoughts would be great..

FluffD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just to let know I went to doc and explained my problems with taking the gliclazide, she was very surprised at my BSL and has agreed to me trying to manage by using diet only, however was reluctant to allow me to keep getting glucose strips and after some discussion she agreed to let me have one more container which should last me to next blood test in a few weeks, my BSL have remained in the 5’s which I am happy with.. and it’s is very much been down to you guys on here being free with you experiences and for pointing me in the right direction in term of diet and lifestyle changes.. Thank you..

nettie 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Kia ora nettie 2/Diana! Nice to see another Kiwi in the Keto sub-forum.

And I was blown away that you got given a Keto diet plan here in Kiwiland, in order to lower your blood glucose levels. Then I clicked on the diet plan you attached and see it isn't Keto at all, and the usual high carb fare, but in small portions. Not Paleo either I might add! (I started out Paleo, as a way to go moderate carb, and still think there is much good things to be said about going Paleo generally and specifically for those with T2D.)

But that diet plan, a small portions of usual carby fare, worked well for you! If indeed your HBA1c of non diabetic levels at 39, was by diet only? It would not work for me, alas. As nor would small portions (I have a rather hearty appetite). Are you saying that you started out small portions of carby food, then cut out carbs and went Keto via the wonderful 'What the fat?' book and recipes? Thereby losing weight and a LOT of blood glucose! Well done Diana.

nettie 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi
I didn't want to write a book about my experience so only gave what I thought was relevant on the site.
I started off on Metformin plus the diabetes dietitians diet which I attached.
6 months later when I had achieved the weight loss etc (I, not my dietitian, she would be horrified to know) I then changed my diet to Keto which is much more sustainable for me long term as it allows fat dairy food etc. I might add that I never felt hungry on either diet, cravings yes, but never hunger. Paleo was too restrictive for me
Hope that clarifies my situation for you
I understand that it has no bearing on your situation and that we are all different in our treatment.

Reactions: Dr Snoddy

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Thanks @nettie 2 - good to to know. And makes sense. Your experience IS 'the bearing', no worries about that, and interesting to read.