Looking for advice from side effects of my medication

bettyhetty

Hi Everybody!

I am new to the forum and this is my first post.

I have recently been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes and have been prescribed with meforman tablets by my GP. I started taking these last week (I take 1000mgs a day) but since taking them have started to develop nasty side effects.

• No appetite
    Very sick feeling in the pit of my stomach
    Constantly tired
    Frequently using the bathroom (diahorea)

The reason for joining this forum is to try and gain more knowledge and help from other sufferers of this condition. As mentioned earlier it is a new thing for me and finding it very difficult to deal with in my normal day to day routine.

Any advice on how to combat these symptoms and get back to my normal self would be much appreciated.

Many Thanks

jopar

Metformin can suppress appitte, it can also upset the stomach also cause windy effect to the extent often those who take it will call it metfartin...

For most the effect will where off within in a week or so, others find that they can tollerate it, But there is a slow release (SR metformin) which can be kinder on the stomach, there is also a liquid version of metformin!

You really need to take metformin with a meal, sometimes taking it halfway through or even at the end of the meal can help with some of the side effects...

If you are finding too much to tollerate, have a word with your doctor to see if you can try the SR version..

As to tiredness, this could well be that your blood glucose is raised rather than a side effect from the medication

C

catherinecherub

Hi Betty,

Welcome to the forum.

This thread may be of help to you, Metformin - Questions and Answers.
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=15673

There is also a guide for newly diagnosed compiled by Ken and Sue, two experienced Type2 diabetics.

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=17088

Any questions then ask away. We have all been where you are now and it is daunting at first.

Take care.

CC.

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Hiya betty, welcome to us all here, jopars advice is great with your meds that you have started to take, if it starts to feel worse for you, pop back to your GP to help. Ask any questions you feel n need to here, wander around read n gather ideas knowledge help n support to assist you to cope easier with your diabetes in your daily life and routine, anything your unsure of pop back, just ask someone will help, guide, support you along. We're here for you. Anna.x :)

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Hi Betty, and welcome.

It usual to start off on 1 x 500g metformin per day, then go to 2 after a week - or at least that's how my GP does it. It gives your system more time to acclimatise. The 'eat with food advice is good.

I too had wind and a little diarrhoea to begin with, but I quickly setled with it and now take 3 x 500g daily with no problems.

Persevere with it - once you're over the side effects it's good. If you really can't tolerate it, ask for the slow release.

Let us know how you get on.

Viv 8)

angieG

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Experiment with when exactly you take it too.
I initially started taking mine (regular not the slow release version) during or after my meal and found they gave me wind and stomach ache. I now take mine before my meals (sometimes 30 mins or so before) and have no problems.
It seems therefore even in the tablet department we are all different too!!
Hope you get to tolerate them ok.
Angie

bowell

Dislikes
Tablets, Mums with pushchair who push in ,Bus and WC
Like the rest have said Persevere with it

I would start with 500 for a week then add the second 500mg next week
Try and split the dose with your largest meals 500mg with lunch and 500mg with evening meal
I Always take mine Mid Meal with a mouthful of food ,and for me that works well

Yes for the first id say month or two you will have upset tum also could have the runs
It will settle down

There are other versions of the med SR and liquid if you have real bother

I would give it a good go first

Honestly say doesn't bother me at all now i take 2500mg standard metformin

Bob

tighthead3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Having diabetes.
Hi betty, welcome to the forum, you will find some great advice on here, lots of people who will try and help you with your problems, as far as metformin is concerned, I would say most diabetics have some problems with it early on, however if you persevere you will find your body will come to tolerate it, it is a great medication and will really help you, dont be afraid to talk to your doctor or diabetes nurse if you do have problems. Best wishes.

Gappy

Dislikes
hypocrisy, prejudice and the corrupt legal system (never got compensation I deserved from an accident)
Yep, the wind/bowel problems will settle down. I found the lethargy I felt before starting medication went almost immediatly so look forward to that when BS levels come down! As for appetite suppression well, it helps me lose weight so is a bonus that you'd probably have to pay good money for if you needed to go to a clinic for weight loss

bettyhetty

HI everyone , Thankyou for all your advice much appreciated I was at the clinic the other day to have my blood levels checked , the nurse phoned me today to tell the results were not good .
She has now told me I have to increase my medication from 1000 mg daily to 2000 mg
is this normal to have to double my intake of this medication?

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Did she tell you what the readings were, Betty?

It's not unusual to be on the maximum dose of Metformin - I'm almost there, 1500mg per day, so don't worry too much about that. Do you need to lose weight? What sort of diet are you following? We may be able to give you some tips - we'll certainly support you!

Have you settled on to your 1000mg dose yet? Diarrhoea problems gone? I'm not sure I'd up the dose until you've settled a bit on the first lot, but I really don't know. Others may have different ideas - or ask your nurse that question and see what she says.

Let us know how you go on.

Viv 8)

bettyhetty

Sorry I have not got back to you sooner,I feel a bit better now ( I think lol ) I do need to lose weight the age old story lol I am trying very hard to stick to my daily calorie intake some days it is more easy than others. Thankyou for all your support .